: Ok rebuilt alternator, volts are steady but still have "Battery not Charging" message

bcarv87
10-13-11, 12:33 PM
Like the title says I rebuilt the alternator after checking and making sure I was getting power to the L terminal on the pigtail that connects to the back of the alternator.

Let me back up a bit here. I got the "Battery not Charging" message sometime in the spring. I watched the volts when the car was running and it was charging although the volts would bounce between 11 and 13.5v. I blew it off thinking it was maybe the regulator or frayed wire and kept driving the car (not my DD).

At one point in the middle of the summer I did not drive the car for about 3 weeks. One day I went to take it out and noticed the battery was completely dead, wouldn't even unlock the doors or turn on any light for that matter. Now this battery was a fairly new Optima red top (about a year old) and got a new one under warranty because the old one wouldn't even hold a charge. When I installed the new battery and started the car I got the "Service Stability Soon" message. Shortly after that the "Battery not Charging" messages come on right after I start the car even though it is clearly good.

Now my question is, will clearing the messages by the dealer solve my problems? I'm thinking yes because I got the "Service Stability Soon" right after I put in the new battery and now the volts are a consistent 13.5v. What do you guys think?

bcarv87
10-13-11, 12:35 PM
ohh and i forgot to mention that my traction control stays permanently off. This also happened after replacing the battery.

bcarv87
10-14-11, 10:06 AM
Nobody has an opinion on this?

darkman
10-14-11, 12:02 PM
Since you rebuilt the alternator rather than replacing it I assume you still have the original internal solid state voltage regulator. I suppose that could be the problem. Other than that is there is the wiring, grounds, and the PCM on this circuit.

See attached.

bcarv87
10-14-11, 01:39 PM
Hey Darkman I actually got the diagram from another thread a while back. They checked the regulator and said it was good. They went through the thing and replaced what needed to be replaced. My voltage is now good and stays steady at 13.5v

I'm thinking that something happened to the computer (DIC I think) when the battery died cause thats when I got the messages, traction off with the exception of the battery message before it died.

bcarv87
10-20-11, 03:44 PM
Just got back from the dealer who diagnosed the car. This is what it says on the invoice "found brake pressure modulator valve needs to be replaced to start. possibly EBCM (brake computer)"

They gave me the part number which is 25743362. Dealer told me $695, I declined as he told me the part itself is only $115 maybe even cheaper online. Darkman could you let me know where this is on the car?
I'd appreciate it

darkman
10-20-11, 04:23 PM
I googled that part number and found it on Amazon dot com for $46.00. See attached.

bcarv87
10-20-11, 04:52 PM
Dude you are the man. I didn't even think about googling the part number. You found the actual part for $46 on amazon?

Edit: just googled it and found it thanks brother!