: 2013 Cadillac SRX Interior (with CUE)

Lord Cadillac
10-12-11, 07:19 PM
What's CUE? Click here (http://cadillacmagazine.com/2011/10/12/cadillac-cue-intuitive-and-connected-driving-in-2012/) for a full description...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/images/2013-cadillac-srx-interior.jpg

Marc NY
10-12-11, 09:21 PM
One Awesome Infotainment System indeed!

JimmyH
10-12-11, 09:29 PM
There is a CUE thread in every subforum almost :lol:

sube5186
10-12-11, 09:37 PM
Amazing!!!!

:thumbsup::highfive::bouncy::yup::D:dance::banana: :excited::bows:

If I was in the market for a 2012 and didn't "need" it right now, I would definitely hold out for this.

Sube

Lord Cadillac
10-12-11, 10:43 PM
There is a CUE thread in every subforum almost :lol:

That's a really, really good sign...

smiley47
10-12-11, 11:55 PM
I'm impressed and will wait another 10-12 months for the 2013. My 2010 will do just fine until then.

TheCaptain
10-13-11, 08:26 AM
Man, that whole dash, HVAC, radio/centre cluster look awesome! EXCEPT for the wood on the wheel. Definitely could've done without that... but anyways, back to the drooling. =D

Marc NY
10-13-11, 11:17 AM
Amazing!!!!

:thumbsup::highfive::bouncy::yup::D:dance::banana: :excited::bows:

If I was in the market for a 2012 and didn't "need" it right now, I would definitely hold out for this.

SubeHey Sube, I need another good reason to buy another new SRX! :bouncy:

sube5186
10-13-11, 04:39 PM
Man, that whole dash, HVAC, radio/centre cluster look awesome! EXCEPT for the wood on the wheel.

Speaking of wood trim, looks like the gear shift no longer has it. I wonder if the doors still do. I don't mine the wood on the steering wheel. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the high gloss black lacquer finish on the center console (visible at the beginning of the video). This will be a fingerprint magnet.

Sube

sube5186
10-13-11, 04:44 PM
Hey Sube, I need another good reason to buy another new SRX! :bouncy:

Another new SRX? I'll be right over with an axe to chop down that money tree in your backyard. :D

Sube

JimmyH
10-13-11, 05:27 PM
Speaking of wood trim, looks like the gear shift no longer has it. I wonder if the doors still do. I don't mine the wood on the steering wheel. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the high gloss black lacquer finish on the center console (visible at the beginning of the video). This will be a fingerprint magnet.

Sube

and swirls

Marc NY
10-14-11, 09:48 PM
Another new SRX? I'll be right over with an axe to chop down that money tree in your backyard. :D

SubeHey Sube... can't you wait until I strip the tree before you do that... :hitstick:

greyghost04
10-15-11, 10:45 AM
Well this somewhat like Ford Sync. Great idea that has bombed with Ford customers. It was just too complex and buggy. Hope Cadillac can pull it off better. There are a few things I never want to give up to technology and the main one is a volume dial button. I will also miss the pop up screen. That always impressed friends.

srx2012
10-16-11, 01:21 AM
I agree with firsthand account. I hope they did/do their homework on that before releasing….unlike the "My Lincoln Touch" ... what a POS system. Forget that it was buggy (which it very much is) or slow (very slow)… you would just be happy for it to stay working and on while driving! I very much welcome the buttons back on the SRX. Don't miss one thing about that "Please Don't Touch Me Lincoln Touch" system. When that system would go down (which was routine) you had no input for your radio, nav, seats, CD, mp3, bluetooth, etc. Pulling over, turning off the car, opening the door, closing the door, starting the car and waiting 15-30 sec. for it to boot up became a running joke.

I hope Cadillac does not pull the same blunders and really does their homework. I won't be first in line on this system after my frustrating experience with the My Lincoln Touch.

stevec5375
10-16-11, 12:05 PM
I agree with firsthand account. I hope they did/do their homework on that before releasing….unlike the "My Lincoln Touch" ... what a POS system. Forget that it was buggy (which it very much is) or slow (very slow)… you would just be happy for it to stay working and on while driving! I very much welcome the buttons back on the SRX. Don't miss one thing about that "Please Don't Touch Me Lincoln Touch" system. When that system would go down (which was routine) you had no input for your radio, nav, seats, CD, mp3, bluetooth, etc. Pulling over, turning off the car, opening the door, closing the door, starting the car and waiting 15-30 sec. for it to boot up became a running joke.

I hope Cadillac does not pull the same blunders and really does their homework. I won't be first in line on this system after my frustrating experience with the My Lincoln Touch.

Real world advice offered up for free! NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER, be an early adopter of technology products unless you want to go through this debug phase and a lot of frustration. Most manufacturers are more interested in being early to market than giving the consumer a SOLID product. I have learned my lesson on this 2010 SRX which was a complete redesign. As tempted as I am to want the latest, greatest tech toys, I'm not going down that road again. I'll let others debug it and put up with countless trips to the dealer.

Aren't you glad that manufacturers of anesthesia equipment don't operate this way? They'd go broke from the lawsuits. Of course I realize this is not a valid comparison, but I do wish car companies would do a better job of QA and beta testing.

sube5186
10-16-11, 01:23 PM
I do wish car companies would do a better job of QA and beta testing.

They don't have to. They have "us" as the beta testers. The scenes of customers running back and forth to the dealers in frustration don't make it into the T.V. commercials. Prospective customers only see the smiling, happy-go-lucky fictitious owners driving their new vehicles. Why should they care about real owners?

I'm with you, Steve. God knows I love gadgets and new technology, but as nice as CUE seems, I'll let somebody else be the beta tester for this one.

Sube

mrl859
10-16-11, 05:16 PM
Well this somewhat like Ford Sync. Great idea that has bombed with Ford customers. It was just too complex and buggy. I never had a problem with my voice activated touch screen Sync in my 2010 GT500 and it is the one thing I find most disappointing in my two Cadillacs. Even my touch screen nav Mygig system in my '08 Chrysler minivan was far superior to the current Cadillac systems. CUE will be great, but they're about five+ years behind in that technology.

sube5186
10-16-11, 07:48 PM
CUE will be great, but they're about five+ years behind in that technology.

I disagree. When this system hits the market, I believe Cadillac will be at the forefront of in-cabin computer technology. Now, let's all hope it runs smoothly as intended.

12.3-inch gauge cluster featuring 3D animated car with performance data callouts
8 inch LCD with 24-bit color
Linux operating system, “open source” software platform
A three-core, ARM 11 processor that's nearly four-times more powerful than other systems on the market
Third-party developers creating custom-tailored apps
"Capacitive" touchscreen (most vehicles, including the 2012 SRX, us resistive touchscreens)
Haptic feedback
Multi-Touch Hand Gestures: interactive motions (tap, flick, swipe and spread) popularized by smartphones
Center stack opens electronically to store your mobile phone or MP3 player
Natural Language Speech Recognition
Bluetooth 3.0
Available BluRay rear seat entertainment system
Proximity Sensing
Capacity for 10 Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices
Text messages read to you while you drive
Automatically aggregates music into a single list from multiple media devices
Pandora and Stitcher availability
HD Radio

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/12/cadillac-cue-gms-luxury-brand-ups-the-infotainment-game-w-vid/

http://cadillacmagazine.com/?p=25423

Sube

stevec5375
10-16-11, 09:18 PM
Sube,

You tease us with the "typical" bulleted marketing list. I really hope that they can deliver all of this "bug free". But as Dr. Phil likes to say, "The best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior." If he's right, then get read for a public outcry because this latest feature set far exceeds what we have currently and Cadillac has done a "less-than-stellar" job living up to their past "inflated" reputation--this is NOT a bash. I wish Cadillac would become the be-all and end-all of cars. Gawd knows we Americans could use a success story like that right now. :)

I guess to stay positive I should add: "HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!"

In this case, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong. I really do want everyone to succeed at their endeavors. Could it be that reality and resumes don't coincide?

sube5186
10-16-11, 10:22 PM
Yeah I know, Steve. I'm just trying to be optimistic. Still wouldn't want to be first in line to buy this. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. If it ends up being problematic, it won't take long before the complaints start rolling in.

Sube

mrl859
10-16-11, 11:11 PM
I disagree. When this system hits the market, I believe Cadillac will be at the forefront of in-cabin computer technology. "When" it comes out, Cadillac may be at the forefront. Currently, they are five + years behind the leaders. Also, we have no idea what the competition will have by then, particularly Ford. For now, Cadillac is way behind the power curve.

srx2012
10-17-11, 12:14 AM
I never had a problem with my voice activated touch screen Sync in my 2010 GT500

I am glad to hear that (really!). Maybe Lincoln botched the system when they got it from Ford. All I know is my "my Lincoln touch" (MLT) was a total POS and waste of money and many trips to the dealer. I traded that car (premium 2011 MKX) for the Luxury SRX and even though got a lower model could not be happier. I welcome all the buttons and other nice comfy features of the SRX. Much nicer.

The MLT was "cool" at first (say even if it did not randomly crash) but as I used it more I could see how it was becoming distracting. For example to turn on/off the heated seats you would have too.

1) Hit the seat icon which would turn on the seat. Good.

To turn off

1) hit the climate lower left bar (wait 1-3 seconds for it to change to the climate screen)
2) Find the seat section, hit the seat button (wait 1-3 seconds for it to pop up the seats mini screen)
3) Locate the button, hit the heat button 1 to 3 times depending if you wanted to lower the heat or turn it off (wait 1-3 seconds between to catch up to your input).

In all you would be messing with the system while driving for about 4-10 seconds on average, every time having to look at the screen to see if the new menu popped up yet and where the new menu popped up or where the new button to hit was. I can see why consumer reports dropped Ford down to something like 25 due to the SYNC system. Slow, buggy, distracting, horrible interface. That is just one input I mention.

I think the CUE looks awesome NO DOUBT.... but it is ALL going to come down to interface. How is the system going to respond to the inputs, what screen will be next, how fast will it react. Will you be looking for button placements in different locations between screens or will one function have the same placement. They can add all the features they want in the system but if the system does not interface well and react quickly, it is going to bomb.

Why manufactures are not contracting with iPad or Google Android and already using systems which work WELL is beyond me. Why reinvent the wheel. My smartphone can do more than I will ever need in a car, and it works WELL!

I think we should be able to just plug our iPad or Google tablet into the car (docking station), it does the functions needed for the car, than we can remove it for daily use. Now that would be slick.

sube5186
10-17-11, 08:41 AM
I think the CUE looks awesome NO DOUBT.... but it is ALL going to come down to interface. How is the system going to respond to the inputs, what screen will be next, how fast will it react. Will you be looking for button placements in different locations between screens or will one function have the same placement. They can add all the features they want in the system but if the system does not interface well and react quickly, it is going to bomb.

I agree 100%. It seems like they may have learned something from the SYNC system. They've actually minimized the number of buttons and added a much faster processor. If you haven't already done so, check out the links in my previous post within this thread.

"CUE development began in 2008 when Cadillac designers rode with 32 consumers for six months to study driver habits. Engineers and designers then used the data to develop CUE."

Sube

Lord Cadillac
10-17-11, 06:48 PM
When things go wrong with these types of computer systems, it's usually just a software or firmware update to fix the problem. So worst case scenario, it's only a short time you're dealing with whatever trouble you're experiencing. As time goes wrong, there will be quicker and quicker fixes to issues with these things. I wouldn't mind being one of the first owners with the CUE system.

srx2012
10-17-11, 08:56 PM
I wish you the best of luck.

I also wished it was just a "firmware" update and I know the dealer wished also. I had the newest updates, there was nothing else to update. In these situations you are stuck, you have to wait for the manufacture to come out with another update and hope it works. The dealership can’t do anything, they are just the messengers. If the problem is major, as the entire system shutting off, like in my case, you can only wait around so long and hope they fix the issue while trying to enjoy your 40-50K car. I only could imagine the amount of trips to the dealer I would have had in 2-3 years of ownership (I owned it for 4 wks and was on my 5-6th visit). I "heard" there is to be a "major" update in Jan 2013 which is to fix the problmes but who knows.

Hopefully GM really does their homework on the CUE… the hype and excitement will be there from buyers and hopefully it will surpass expectations. It could really be a make it or break it item. However, I will let others beta test the cue for now and enjoy my buttons lol.

CaddyShack CTS4
03-09-12, 04:38 AM
Wow, is that Lincoln sync tech the same/similar as ford explorers new touchscreen EVERYTHING? I just posted this about the cue system on a different discussion in the ats subsection. I'll repost it since it relates to the CUE system..

"The only thing I'd be worried about is how that cue system will work, will it be faulty? I've seen the electronic cluster/gauges on the new ford explorer and I'm not sure I like it as much as the needles like the CTS has.. Frankly, the cts gauges are perfect imo. I know some people have some issues with the navy but I think the cts interior looks quite good. Much better than the crappy bmw 3 series interiors they keep trying to pass as nice. Of course, the cts has its squeaks and stuff, but so do many other cars. For now, I give the cts the edge on interior because of its look, and worried about that CUE system (don't know if i'd like it all electronic).

I like the standard car setup with the gauges in front of you, speedometer (analog or w/e), tachometer, fuel, etc. The cars that don't have that are so funky. For instance, bmw mini has the speedometer or tachometer in the middle console i think. The honda civic has that funky window that reads speed only in digital (reminds me of my parents old ford aerostar, sigh.) I'm young, but call me oldschool because even my phone has a qwerty keyboard (blackberry kind) because I hate touchscreen, it's so faulty or weird or something I just can't get my mind around it.. I'm just worried that CUE system will be weird, anyone else see that or do I lose everyone?"

Oh, no offense if you own a bmw 3 series :suspect:

... but yeah. Like I was just saying ^ i'd be incredibly reluctant to be the first to adopt that CUE system. Honestly, my take on this is that the reliability of buttons always trumps touch screen. I'm not sure anyone has thought about this or mentioned it but what happens in the extreme cold/warm with that touchscreen? What if you spill something on it, what if the electronics malfunction. It's the reason why I don't have touchscreen because I can't text on my cell phone when it rains, I can't text when I got greasy hands from eating fries (lol). But really, It's just the faultiness we should all be worried about. I know I know everyones quick to jump on it, and many of you will never care because the dealership is 3 miles away from home. But, for me, I'm worried about going on a trip like to Colorado to breck or keystone and having a faulty heated seat/climate control/buttons/tach/speedo because it's cold and the condensation messed it up or something. Then there's that lincoln / ford explorer issue with the SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW interface. Say it with me, SLOW, buggy interface. Sorry about the W's hehe. Thoughts?

shortspark
03-09-12, 07:54 AM
I wrote this a couple of days ago in another thread and the more I read about CUE, the more I think I am right:

Thanks for the links, I found them very interesting and informative and they provided more insights to CUE than I had previously. You know, the more I read and look at CUE's applications (beyond the actual concept), the more I am hoping it is an option rather than a standard feature, which would surely increase the base price of the vehicle. There is nothing I saw that will change anything I do when I drive, given my individual needs and the equipment I use right now. CUE is good looking, a flashy interface with an unmistakable cutting edge high tech look and certainly it will make some things a bit easier to implement and configure. It is also an accident maker if ever I saw one, regardless of how intuitive they make it or how strong the confirmation pulse beats are they assign to the touch pad. Proximity settings will not amount to much as you must still look at the screen. The voice commands are interesting, however, depending on how extensive and inclusive they are.

For an old guy I'd like to think I'm a little above the curve with technology, communications and electronics than most of my social security brethren, but as impressive as CUE might be from a technology standpoint, I do not see the practicality of it all, at least not for me, the way I drive or my needs. I suppose CUE might be nice to have as a toy only because I still like toys, but I'm not sure I would pay a whole lot extra for it. There is still much to learn about CUE of course, but my desire to have a 2013 SRX is predicated on many factors. From what I have learned so far about CUE over the last day or two, it will probably not be one of those factors

paid4c4
03-09-12, 12:13 PM
It all sure looks nice and I'm sure glad I'm not scheduled for a new SRX until 2015 which will give the wiz kids two full years to get the bugs out of the system before I buy one.
Bill

inspectorudy
03-18-12, 01:31 AM
One thing we who use a computer a lot have learned is that a central control is easier to use than a bunch of dedicated icons. I am in favor of a mouse type device for the thumb on the steering wheel that selects different apps on the main screen and then a simple button the mouse activates it. That way at least both hands are on the wheel and you are only glancing at the icons on the screen instead of reaching over to touch them. I would also prefer to have voice activation of the major categories such cooling or heat, radio, nav etc and then use the mouse to select the sub sets in that group. Like "Heat" and then when the heat screen came up use the mouse to adjust the temp or direct airflow. The screen would only be that category until you were finished and then either a new voice command or a time delay it would go back to the base screen display. Reaching for anything in the center console requires taking your eyes off of the road and then to have to watch what you select and the results you get after selecting it takes a long time from the eyes on the road. BMW tried it with the central knob but you have so many categories to go through that a voice activated category system would have simplified their system greatly. One of the weakness in any computer control system is the number of combinations of variables that have been run through the software to eliminate glitches. The more variables the more money and time required. Let's hope that Cadillac used lots of both.

shortspark
03-18-12, 07:25 AM
I want to buy a 2013 SRX but I'm not sure I want CUE. I probably do just to have it and play with it even if I decide not to use it much; I'm sure I could live without it. I think I would prefer the pop-up display for navigation and radio even better than a middle console screen. Does anyone know if you must take CUE with certain packages or will it be a stand alone option? And how about the cost if it is an option?

stevec5375
03-20-12, 06:56 PM
I want to buy a 2013 SRX but I'm not sure I want CUE. I probably do just to have it and play with it even if I decide not to use it much; I'm sure I could live without it. I think I would prefer the pop-up display for navigation and radio even better than a middle console screen. Does anyone know if you must take CUE with certain packages or will it be a stand alone option? And how about the cost if it is an option?

OK, you guys can laugh at me, but frankly, an SRX ending with "13" is bad luck to me. I won't be buying one. And to add the CUE on top of it is just asking for it. I've been thinking that if gas prices keep escalating the way they have been, I'm going to sell my SRX and buy a hybrid of all-electric car. I don't drive much and it's not so much an affordability thing as it is bad financial responsibility.

I hope you read the latest Scott Burns column about interest rates vs car ownership.

JimmyH
03-20-12, 07:03 PM
Do you ever have anything good to say, ever? How about puppies? I bet you are against puppies because they nibble on your fingers and make in the house.

shortspark
03-20-12, 07:07 PM
Ha!, yes, it will be interesting to read a Burns report on that subject. I was thinking of doing a couple things when the time comes to buy - maybe lease although I don't like that idea very much, or a possible finance. But, my mad money is not doing much these days so I'm better off using it and paying cash for the car. The money I don't need is just sitting in the market going up and down and up and down but with bank rates what difference does it make? If you don't spend it inflation will eat it up.

stevec5375
03-20-12, 07:40 PM
Do you ever have anything good to say, ever? How about puppies? I bet you are against puppies because they nibble on your fingers and make in the house.

Puppies? I LOVE puppies. I have two dogs that I absolutely adore. Both watch TV with me in MY BED at night and one of them sleeps with me and the other sleeps with my partner. TMI!

Jimmy, there's quite a number of years between 55 and 37. Where I'm from we are taught to respect our elders. Since anything goes on this forum, I feel free to state my "opinion". I had no idea it needed to meet certain criteria. You are dealing with lots of people on here with many personality types and all that goes with them.

But just to show you I'm listening to you and "get it", here's my list of good things and it's not finite.

I enjoy driving my SRX when it's not having programming issues.

I LOVE my service adviser at my dealership.

I think my dealership tries real hard (even if they fall short, I get it.)

I like the color of my car.

I like the interior of my car.

I think the seats are comfortable.

I love the large moon/sun roof.

..... I could go on but I think you get the point.

Now who in his right mind wants to log on here and read this blather? Most people want to hear about issues that could IMPACT them in a negative way.

They don't want a sugar-coated, load of cotton candy that tells them nothing.

Since you've never met me or know absolutely nothing about me other than my postings on here, perhaps you'd care to cut me some slack? I'm actually liked by quite a number of people in my own back yard that aren't family. But now I am wondering why I felt the need to have to explain myself to your accusation(s). Go have a cocktail. :)

If you could just see my Rhapsody playlists, I think you might be quite surprised. It's not all classical music.

JimmyH
03-20-12, 08:22 PM
lulz

stevec5375
03-20-12, 09:38 PM
That was an enlightening retort. :)

JimmyH
03-21-12, 02:03 AM
It wasn't enlightening. It wasn't meant to be. It wasn't a retort.

But your continued badgering of an infotainment system that is isn't even for sale yet is far from enlightening. Your negative outlook and grumpy demeanor are far from enlightening. Your repeated harshness and criticisms ad infinium are not enlightening.

I am not really interested in your age or what your neighbors think of you. For what it's worth, my "lulz" was a brief quip about my amusement that you would suggest I really believe you are "listening to me" and that you "get it." Because you don't now, and you never will. You clearly do not like me, and will never heed any of what I have to say. But I am pretty certain there are many in this forum who would like, just for once, for a positive thread about the SRX to progress without your doomsday interjections. I leave it to them now.

Jonkarn
03-21-12, 10:49 AM
I have no issues with negative posts or complaints about the SRX. Frankly that's why I come to forums when I am thinking about getting a specific car. I want to hear the negatives and problems. Personally I never start a thread unless it is to ask about a problem or issue. I will respond to someone else's thread with positive comments if I feel they are needed. I actually like the SRX but no car is perfect. That's why I come here.

A big HOWEVER, when it comes to this Steve guy is that I have noticed he can make a rude comment when he doesn't like someone's posts or thinks they are irrelevant. Those personal comments can really be kept to himself and his dogs or whatever. But I will gladly read his rants about issues he has with the SRX. That's what we are here for. Right?

inspectorudy
03-22-12, 02:35 AM
I don't see how we can have an in depth discussion on something that none of us has used in daily life. I'm sure some of the insiders have seen the CUE system in a demo format but that is not the real world. The auto world is at the beginning of their journey into the computer-user-auto interface and they will have some problems. Like most model years if you buy a year that has a big problem then you are screwed. Detroit has never shown any desire to go back and retrofit a new design into an older model that had a bad design, unless it is safety related. If you are one of the early people who can't wait and have to buy the new CUE auto then you may be the first to enjoy it or the first to regret it. Ask Ford and BMW buyers. I personally find it exciting to think of systems that make driving safer and more enjoyable. I flew for many years and recently retired from an airline. On the newer airplanes the new systems are unbelievable. I used what is called a heads up display that allows the pilot to look out of the windshield and fly the plane when the visibility is zero/zero. All of the info is there in front of you to fly the plane but when and if you see the runway it is right where you are looking with no head movement or visual transition. Until I flew it I could not believe the hype from the companies that built them. But when I started using it I flew the plans so perfectly that the co-pilot thought his instruments were not functioning. Much better than on auto pilot. I know aviation is a much higher standard than autos but the technology is there. Trying to please any and all types of drivers is going to be a bear. I personally would wait for at least the middle of the model year before I jumped on the CUE model.

Marc NY
03-22-12, 07:15 AM
Personally, I have never really worried about buying a brand New Model that was just coming out. If I really want the vehicle I will purchase it even if I know I might have to bring it back in to fix some minor issues or bugs i.e. like some of us that experienced a couple of issues with the all new 2010 SRX. I had liked the brand new 2nd Gen SRX so much so that I bought it when it first came out. The couple minor issues I had was with the chrome trim piece, a vendor issue, and one recall. To me owning the new SRX was well worth the extra two visits to the dealership.

If I get a brand new 2013 CUE SRX I might also expect to have to bring back to the dealer if there are any new software updates that might be needed. To me it is like buying a new computer program or say Windows 7. There seems to always be updates and one will just have to live with that. Especially when it comes to the newer high tech computers we have in all of our vehicles.

NOTE: If one is that nervous about buying a 2013 with the new CUE system then perhaps waiting until you believe everything is "perfect" might be the best option for you! :)

RippyPartsDept
03-22-12, 10:18 AM
The CUE training app is available for download in the iPad appstore

you have to have a GM login to use it though

just an FYI ... i'll let you guys know what I think about it when i've had some more time to use it

Marc NY
03-22-12, 10:53 AM
I don't have or own an iPad but maybe I can get someone I know to access the new CUE app too.

inspectorudy
03-22-12, 11:12 AM
I thinMarc NY
Cadillac Owners Fanatic
Automobile(s): SRX 2012 Performance Black Ice w/ 20" Machined Wheels
Re: 2013 Cadillac SRX Interior (with CUE)
Personally, I have never really worried about buying a brand New Model that was just coming out. If I really want the vehicle I will purchase it even if I know I might have to bring it back in to fix some minor issues or bugs i.e. like some of us that experienced a couple of issues with the all new 2010 SRX. I had liked the brand new 2nd Gen SRX so much so that I bought it when it first came out. The couple minor issues I had was with the chrome trim piece, a vendor issue, and one recall. To me owning the new SRX was well worth the extra two visits to the dealership.

I think the point I was making is the one you missed. If the '13 with CUE turns out to be a bad year and has design problems that are not just software then you will not get a recall in 2014. If it turns out like the BMW/Ford case you will be screwed. GM is making a big decision to offer something as new and exciting as CUE but that doesn't mean that the first iteration will be a good one. If it isn't then you will own it until you sell it. Also, on your '10 model there were not many if any new technology items that were being introduced and therefore you were buying a model with much less risk than the '13.

Marc NY
03-22-12, 12:28 PM
... GM is making a big decision to offer something as new and exciting as CUE but that doesn't mean that the first iteration will be a good one. If it isn't then you will own it until you sell it. Also, on your '10 model there were not many if any new technology items that were being introduced and therefore you were buying a model with much less risk than the '13.
Yes, I agree with you that no doubt GM is making a huge commitment to the new CUE system. I sure hope that GM has learned by watching FORD's and BMW's issues and is making sure that they don't repeat their mistakes. Will it be flawless? I hope so, but as with any new technology there might be a chance that there will be some bugs to work out long after it is has been launched. As far as new technology goes the 2013 might be at a higher risk than the 2010 SRX was technology wise. However, I was referring to the chance of other issues too with an introduction of totally new 2010 SRX vs comparing the high tech side only.

BTW: May I ask why do you seem to like to copy my member info and post it every time you quote me? :suspect:

shortspark
03-22-12, 12:29 PM
I still don't know if CUE will be standard at certain package levels, eg, Performance/Premium and you will have no choice but to take it with those packages, or, if it will be a stand alone option on all packages. Does anyone know? If it is an across the board option, will the standard screen still be a pop-up configuration as is the case currently?

Marc NY
03-22-12, 12:42 PM
I still don't know if CUE will be standard at certain package levels, eg, Performance/Premium and you will have no choice but to take it with those packages, or, if it will be a stand alone option on all packages. Does anyone know? If it is an across the board option, will the standard screen still be a pop-up configuration as is the case currently?It is my understanding that it will be standard on the SRX, XTS and ATS across the board.

The popular "POP-UP" Nav that I LIKE A LOT ... will be gone in 2013 MY. :(

ladypro
03-22-12, 01:30 PM
mark ny i also love the pop up and want the 2012 black raven premium ebony interior are you happy with the black ice? holding out for 0% or cash back

RippyPartsDept
03-22-12, 01:51 PM
i heard that XTS will get CUE standard and that only top level SRX and ATS will get CUE

i could be wrong though

shortspark
03-22-12, 02:10 PM
i heard that XTS will get CUE standard and that only top level SRX and ATS will get CUE

i could be wrong though

I hope you are correct. I want the 2013 Performance package (assuming it is about the same as the 2012) but I don't want to be locked into CUE in case I don't like it or find it cumbersome. I want the option of taking it or leaving it.

Marc NY
03-22-12, 02:30 PM
mark ny i also love the pop up and want the 2012 black raven premium ebony interior are you happy with the black ice? holding out for 0% or cash backYes I do LOVE the look of the Pop-Up Nav too. I like the Black Ice metallic I think it helps hide some of the potential swirl marks better than say the Black Raven does. At times some people think my Black Ice is a very dark dark shade of grey (see photo below) in the bright sun light or they may think it looks a little dusty or dirty because of the metallic shading effect. While others like the all solid jet Black of the Raven more.

IMHO: They both look BEAUTIFUL! :D It all comes down to your own personal tastes. :)

I believe GM will only offer the 0% financing ... if they hold to past practices.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/DSC_8017Sm.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/DSC_7991SM.jpg

shortspark
03-22-12, 03:24 PM
Wow! That black ice is really sharp, Marc. And you're right, it does seem to be closer to a dark grey rather than jet black, at least in the sun. Too bad I can't have black. Here in Texas, especially if we have more years like last summer where it was well over 100 degrees every day for three months straight, black is a no no. I think white is nice but I'll probably end up with either Radiant Silver or Gray Flannel. Neither look exciting in the photos (although I have not seen any up close in person). I guess you really can't go wrong with a silver/gray type color, conservative though they may be. My Honda Ridgeline is Billet Silver and I've grown accustomed to it. I did catch a glimpse one day of a Gold Mist SRX driving by and it was very unusual. I still don't know if I like it or not but it is different. There are not many of those Gold Mist cars that I've noticed on the lots as I drive by so it must not be a very popular color for some reason. The crystal red is nice too but I think it needs to be just a tint darker. It reminds me too much of what the ideal red pick-up truck should look like.

Marc NY
03-22-12, 03:45 PM
,,, Here in Texas, ... I think white is nice but I'll probably end up with either Radiant Silver or Gray Flannel. Neither look exciting in the photos (although I have not seen any up close in person). I guess you really can't go wrong with a silver/gray type color, conservative though they may be... Since you mentioned Grey Flannel ... I loved that color on my 2010 SRX especially in the sun with those tiny teal blue metallic specs thrown into the grey color. Although you can't get a true reproduction of grey flannel in this dusk shot it is really pretty especially in the direct sun light. :D

shortspark
03-22-12, 03:49 PM
Yes, I remember you saying that some people thought your grey flannel was actually blue! The sun can do strange things. Do you like that over the Radient Silver?

Marc NY
03-22-12, 04:01 PM
Yes, I remember you saying that some people thought your grey flannel was actually blue! The sun can do strange things. Do you like that over the Radient Silver?WOW good memory! ;)

Yes, I like allmost all shades of Silver! Radient Silver too! :D

BTW: I own a SSR in a silver (Radient) metallic color too.

Huey Driver
03-22-12, 04:04 PM
We probably could start a whole new thread on paint, but I'll continue here because I figure, like me, everyone probably reads all the posts anyway, regardless of the title of thread.
I have the gold mist with tan/brown interior. At times, in the right light, there is a very light blue haze that seems to show up on it. It is a great color and you'll find yourself needing to wash it because the windows are dirty long before dust and water spots show up on the paint. Seems like it would hide swirls real well too.
Years ago I was told that Harley-Davidson was one of the first to 'tint' their clearcoat. They painted a base coat of color, then put a tinted coat over it to develop their wild colors, using light to mix the colors. They'd do stuff like paint a blue base and put yellow clearcoat to get green. All those were called 'candy' coated, ie, 'candy red'. It made the paint look a mile deep! Say what you want about HD, but over the past 20 years or so, theres no one that could touch their paint technology. My bike is Jade Sunglo and is many different colors, depending on how the light hits it.

I see a lot of that in my gold mist. I think every color I have seen is great, but I sure do like what GM is doing on our cars with the metallic paint...

sudhoffc
03-22-12, 04:21 PM
Looks awesome! Now that we picked up a CTS the wife wants a Caddy. We have been looking at the SRX for a while and I really like the technology GM is putting into their cars/suvs these days.

shortspark
03-22-12, 04:48 PM
I agree, that is AWESOME! Super cool vehicle, Marc! I am going to have to take a close look at the Gold Mist for sure when it comes time to buy (if it is still available for the 2013 MY). One reason is the interior. I think it would look outstanding with that tan/brown interior Huey was talking about. If I got gray or silver, I pretty much am stuck with black or gray on the inside too as tan won't cut it. That is what I have now and frankly, I'm ready for a change!

ladypro
03-22-12, 08:15 PM
love the look of the silver ssr

marks628
03-23-12, 09:39 PM
The CUE training app is available for download in the iPad appstore

you have to have a GM login to use it though

just an FYI ... i'll let you guys know what I think about it when i've had some more time to use it

I have an iPad, but how do I login?

shortspark
03-23-12, 11:53 PM
I went to the big Dallas auto show today and sat down with the CUE expert from Cadillac (most of the floor workers there were from Detroit so I assume she was "front office" as well). She showed me on her large demo display all that CUE was capable of doing. Frankly, I was not overly impressed although it "looked" impressive. The interface is complete, ie, phone, audio, navigation, Pandora, OnStar, etc. as all are integrated nice and neat but it simply seems to be another way of doing business, not necessarily easier mind you, just different. It sorts things logically and that, in a nutshell, is its biggest attribute. It is not earth shattering innovation to be sure, unless you have never 'swiped' a pad before.

What makes CUE different is that it is in a car and not on a smart phone. If it were simply an integrated "app", eg, no one would pay much attention. CUE is not Android nor does it appear truly Apple based either, but anyone having used a tablet or smart phone of any kind will find it fairly intuitive. For those not familiar with this or willing to learn, it becomes an accident waiting to happen. The Cadillac girl said it will be "standard" on virtually all SRX models (probably not on the basic package, however, which is lucky to even have a steering wheel!). She did not know how much "extra" this technology would add to the price of the car but certainly it will be built in somewhere. It appears the SRX's hard drive will take on more significant duties with CUE, rather than the current designation of simply being a conduit or achive. Hopefully, the problem of automatic "radio on" with Navigator will be eliminated as each function is packaged as "stand alone". It appears split screen functionality in a multi-tasking way, is also possible although I did not ask for that kind of demonstration (it may even be available in the current configuration for all I know). After a while longer with her it was obvious my questions were wearing her down and at the same time I was wearing out my welcome. So, I thanked her and left with still many unanswered questions swirling in my head. CUE is cool, but I doubt that it, standing alone, will be the compelling reason for me to purchase an SRX in 2013 over the others I have been considering.

I was able to go to the test track and demo some cars. The shuttle buses took us back and forth from the convention center to the test area which I thought was very nice of the show to do. I test drove both a Premium package SRX and the Overland Jeep Grand Cherokee. For 2013, I have narrowed my search to three vehicles, the Jeep GC, SRX or M-B ML350. Since I have the floor, I'll talk just a bit of my impressions. The M-B ML350 is built like a tank - and looks it. There is the impression you can throw anything at it and it will bounce right off, except your wallet which it will devour instantly. If I had money to burn, the Mercedes would be in my garage for no other reason than to have that three star emblem looking at me each morning. The Jeep was the most impressive in value and ride factors. I can't believe what you can get for under $50G in the Jeep. The unibody construction is ideally suited to this vehicle. In fact, from what I understand it is platformed on the Mercedes. The SRX tracked the road like a formula car - truly impressive in that regard. It was also more responsive at throttle. The only disappointment was that the interior was not plush with a soft stroke. It was plush, but somewhat hardened, like the ML 350. This is the opposite of the Acura or the incredible Infiinity JX, which incidentally made it's debut today. The JX was plush too but softer and far more comfortable, at least while sitting still (they did not have one at the test track to try out). The Infinity may become the real challenger to the SRX as the Lexus seems somewhat dated in comparison. At around $55G, however, it seems to be more a threat to the ML350 than the SRX and Lexus. If that is the case, the SRX should consider itself fortunate.

What I did see as more of a threat to the SRX, even more than the foreign makers, was oddly enough another GM product - the Buick Enclave. Wow! What you get for a few thousand less than the SRX is noteworthy, especially if you need that third row of seating. There are some features the Buick has (such as electronic steering adjustment) that even eludes the SRX. Buick has truly done its home work with this vehicle and the rep at the show told me the new sheet metal for it in 2013 may be unveiled as early as the NY Auto Show next month. He assured me that if I liked the Enclave of 2012, I would love the Enclave of 2013!! He also hinted at a "CUE"-like or "CUE clone" interface for the Enclave in 2013. The problem is that the Buick, fully loaded, is as expensive as the SRX, with none of the goodies (like free maintenance) and certainly none of the prestige. Knock a couple thousand off the base price or throw in a few extras with each package (especially in the Enclave's leather package) and the Enclave would be the most serious competitor the SRX would have, foreign makers notwithstanding.

Well, I could go on and on I suppose but this post has been long winded enough so I'll stop but for any auto enthusiast (or, like me, someone researching their next car), attending auto shows is an absolute must. Although I realize it is a thread jack of sorts, I would love to hear the impressions of others who have attended these shows.

Marc NY
03-24-12, 08:43 AM
Shortspark you are absolutely right on with your comparisons especially the Buick's Enclave vs Cadillac's SRX. I have owned two Buick Enclaves and I just loved the looks the fit and finish too. The Enclave's ride and the expansive interior is just beautiful. The reasons why I left the Enclave to come to the SRX simply put, I didn't need the 3rd row seating nor the overall length. I just loved the look of the newer smaller and much sleeker looking SRX. Yes the interior was a bit smaller and the ride was slightly more taught and not as smooth as the Enclaves. The overall interior in the SRX was to me slightly richer, more high tech looking with the extra touches of foot-well lighting, script Cadillac logo in the door sills, the ice blue LED theater pipe lighting, the pop up Nav and the Pano roof too... of course the SRX was much easier to park and maneuver too. :)

That being said, if Buick would come out with a slightly smaller version of the Enclave (not the newest baby Enclave "Encore") with just 2 rows of seating I would definitely be inclined or tempted to consider it as well. As most of you may know in China the "BUICK" name plate actually holds a slightly higher status than does Cadillac. Since one of their earlier Emperor's had owned one. But back here in the US of A Cadillac is still considered the premier luxury leader for GM although Buick is certainly trying to catch up to Cadillac. One thing I have noticed while owning my Enclave vs my SRX no one ever said to me "OH MY... you own a "B-U-I-C-K" but on the other hand my SRX ... ;)

Again, Shortspark has a great eye for vehicles... :thumbsup: another thing I have noticed too about the new CUE is, not only it is very intuitive but how "vibrant" and very rich looking the dash really appears in person! It is ... very impressive and beautiful to behold. I just hope it will be perceived that way by the general public.

shortspark
03-24-12, 10:54 AM
Thanks Marc. I do not need the third row of seating either. That is why the Enclave is not on my short list of options. But if I could use that third row or simply wanted a larger, more substantial vehicle, the Enclave would be at or near the top of the list. I've done a little more research on the Infinity JX, which as I noted in my previous post, debuted the 2013 model yesterday with some dealers actually having them delivered yesterday as well. There was no sticker on the show model but it was obvious it was fully loaded. I asked the Infinity Rep how much it cost and she said that the show vehicle was indeed fully loaded and was around $55G. That puts it in Mercedes territory. However, you can get a very nice build without all the expensive gizmos and safety stuff like lane assist, blind spot alert, etc., for not much more than the SRX. So, it may become a new force for the SRX to compete against. It depends how it will be perceived by the public. What insulates the SRX from a head to head comparison is that the JX is also larger and has the third row seating, more in line with the Enclave than the SRX.

One more point, my test ride yesterday in the SRX confirmed what I thought would be the case - that although the Jeep might feel less vague and the most solid on the road itself, of all the SUV/Crossovers in this general price range, the SRX is more nimble, quicker and more responsive (for which I'm sure FWD is partially the reason), than any of the others in this class. As long as you don't take it off-road, the SRX is simply more fun to drive and to me that means a lot - a whole lot!

Marc NY
03-24-12, 11:12 AM
... I asked the Infinity Rep how much it cost and she said that the show vehicle was indeed fully loaded and was around $55G. That puts it in Mercedes territory. However, you can get a very nice build without all the expensive gizmos and safety stuff like lane assist, blind spot alert, etc., for not much more than the SRX. So, it may become a new force for the SRX to compete against. ... As long as you don't take it off-road, the SRX is simply more fun to drive and to me that means a lot - a whole lot! I believe the SRX will be in what is called a mid-cycle update where it not only gets a new CUE system but I believe it might get some other new safety features like lane assist, blind spot alert and might even get front crash avoiding sensor/ radar cruise-control module breaking system which may be added to the Performance or perhaps be available only on the Premium models?? An updated grille might be in the works as well. ??

I am just guessing here, for I don't have any real inside knowledge about any of the new changes that might be coming out other than the new CUE system.

RippyPartsDept
03-24-12, 02:00 PM
I have an iPad, but how do I login?

if you don't have a login to GM's online portal (Global Connect) then you're pretty much SOL

you can download the app but you can't do anything with it until you login

Marc NY
03-24-12, 02:41 PM
if you don't have a login to GM's online portal (Global Connect) then you're pretty much SOL

you can download the app but you can't do anything with it until you loginI believe it is really only made for an iPad. I don't think that app will work on my iPhone correct?

MacMuse
03-24-12, 03:11 PM
Correct, iPad only. Here's what the store says:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/MacMuse/3e3dd5e5.jpg