: Need advice: replacement plugs & plug wires

dtb
10-30-04, 02:50 AM
I live in an area where temp can vary from minus 30F to 100F.
Vehicle is 2000 Escalade; 34000 miles; garaged 90% of time. Purchased new.
Of the 52 months and 34000 miles...25% has been in the "salt air enviroment of the Gulf Coast", & I'm not able to garage the vehicle during that period.
I just had to replace one of the (4) oxygen sensors last week. This is the only
service work ever done on the engine, other than periodic oil & filters changes.
Original plugs and plug wires have not been replaced.
Engine appears to run "just slightly rough" at idle.
I Always use Exxon reg grade gasoline and 5-30 Castrol oil.

Question(s):
1/ Should I replace the OEM plugs and plug wires?
2/ If so, what brand(s) and type of plugs and wires should I buy?
3/ Any other comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, dtb

hcvone
10-30-04, 08:54 AM
I always replace my plugs at first oil change, I have had too many badly gapped plugs in many different GM cars that I have owned, and I do the work myself so it's just the parts cost. I put NGK TRI55 (Iridium IX) , I have used these in my Corvette's and the Escalade uses the same plug, the wires should last you a while. I replace my O2 sensors at about 30k miles, this will help gas mileage keeping them in good shape.

MEJIA
10-30-04, 04:55 PM
I live in an area where temp can vary from minus 30F to 100F.
Vehicle is 2000 Escalade; 34000 miles; garaged 90% of time. Purchased new.
Of the 52 months and 34000 miles...25% has been in the "salt air enviroment of the Gulf Coast", & I'm not able to garage the vehicle during that period.
I just had to replace one of the (4) oxygen sensors last week. This is the only
service work ever done on the engine, other than periodic oil & filters changes.
Original plugs and plug wires have not been replaced.
Engine appears to run "just slightly rough" at idle.
I Always use Exxon reg grade gasoline and 5-30 Castrol oil.

Question(s):
1/ Should I replace the OEM plugs and plug wires?
2/ If so, what brand(s) and type of plugs and wires should I buy?
3/ Any other comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, dtb

In my 2003 Escalade just after I bought it I replaced spark plug wires with MSD wires, and I used Bosch +4 Platinum Spark Plugs, I always do this changes when I buy new cars, and regularly never change spark plugs nor spark plug cables during the time the car is mine. Last SUV a 99 Tahoe went with 75k miles and since I did this change I replaced nor spark plugs nor cables, and the truck performed excellent. Smooth idle and good acceleration.

Just my $.02

Mejia

GMike
10-30-04, 05:51 PM
You might consider cleaning the throttle body also. Common sempton of dirty "Cocked" throttle body, is inconsistent idle or riding and falling RPM's at idle. May occasionally die, when turning and pulling away from stop light or stop sign. Power steering pump puts enough extra load on the engine that kills the motor, off idle.

Just a suggestion.

jephurson
10-31-04, 05:49 PM
Where can I get plugs and wires? Does anyone know where I can get good plugs and wires? Best brand? thanks.

I have a 2004 escalade, with AEM brute force intake.