: 2011 SRX Cabin Air Filter Step-by-step with photographs

2011_SRX
10-11-11, 05:32 PM
I decided to replace the Cabin Air Filter in my 2011 SRX after one year of ownership. (Only 7,000 miles).

This existing URL outlines the task for the 2010 SRX and provides a GM pdf, but I thought a few photographs may be helpful. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/232142-cabin-air-filter-replacement-2010-srx.html

I purchased my filter on eBay. It is the exact GM replacement part number 13271191. It arrived quickly and well packaged, delivered by US Postal Priority Mail. Here is the URL to the DelcoDirect eBay ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220820508964&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A1123

Comparing the new and old filter in the photo, they are exactly similar except the OEM filter had a big crush in the side, I didn’t crush it so who knows? Also you can see the OEM is slightly dirty.

The OEM filter has a 3/16 foam weather strip on both sides and across the back. The new filter does not have this foam but it is readily available at the hardware store, so I added some to my new filter.
On the photos, yellow highlight indicates the approximate location of the screws and clips.

Here’s a step by step:
1. Open the glove compartment and remove whatever items you have stored on the “tray”. (Note yellow marks the location of the left side fastening screws)

2. Remove the four screws holding the “tray” inside the glove compartment. Two screws on the left side and two on the right side. Below is a clear photo of the “tray”with the four screws.

3. Slide the “tray” out of the glove compartment.

4. Straight back you will see a plastic rectangle with one clip at the top and a tab on the right side and a tab on the left side (yellow highlights). Also, the wiring harness is partially obscuring a clear path to this door, so as best you can push the harness out of the way. Releasing the three tabs allows this plastic door to swing down. The door cannot be removed, it simply swings down.

5. You will now see the cabin air filter. NOTE the direction of the arrow. It is important you install your new filter with the arrow going in the same direction. In my SRX the arrow pointed DOWN on the OEM air filter.

6. You may need something to poke into the old filter just to get it partially moving straight toward you. Once you expose enough to grab the filter, it slides straight out.

7. I didn’t transfer the old foam strip to my new filter. Instead, I installed a new strip of foam. With the foam installed, slide the new filter into the housing and be sure to note the arrow direction.

8. Close the folded down door being careful to snap all three tabs where they belong.

9. Replace the tray and the four screws.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 05:39 PM
nice writeup :thumbsup:

stevec5375
10-11-11, 06:08 PM
Indeed! You should be a tech writer if you're not already. :)

2011_SRX
10-11-11, 06:35 PM
Thanks to both of you for the kind words. I just hope the photos help someone:)

frankrizzo135
10-11-11, 06:51 PM
If the new filter did not have the foam strip ,how can you say it is the same ?

sube5186
10-11-11, 07:30 PM
If the new filter did not have the foam strip, how can you say it is the same ?

I replaced mine a while back with the one below. It also does NOT have the foam strip. It's my belief that they realized the foam strip wasn't really necessary. I swopped them out and saw/heard/felt absolutely no difference. So if you're worried about the difference, don't be.

This really is an easy job with no technical proficiency needed. I would strongly suggest everyone do this one yourself. I believe the dealer charges about $100 for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cabin-Air-Filter-Buick-LaCrosse-Cadillac-SRX-2010-2011-/400212202089?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2e819269

Sube

08SRX
10-18-11, 08:07 AM
I am pretty sure Cadillac replaces these free of charge under warranty for the first four years and up to 50000 miles.

sube5186
10-18-11, 08:46 AM
I am pretty sure Cadillac replaces these free of charge under warranty for the first four years and up to 50000 miles.

You're correct. I didn't realize this was covered. I just looked it up. Only 2010 owners (like myself) need to worry about changing the cabin air filter. For owners of the 2011 and later this is covered under the Premium Care Maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Sorry you're just getting this news now, 2011_SRX.

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premium-care-maintenance.html

Sube

smiley47
10-18-11, 09:19 AM
Thanks to both of you for the kind words. I just hope the photos help someone:)

Great write up. Was there any way to tell if the old filter was dirty since you only had 7000 miles and one year on the car?

2011_SRX
10-18-11, 01:24 PM
You're correct. I didn't realize this was covered. I just looked it up. Only 2010 owners (like myself) need to worry about changing the cabin air filter. For owners of the 2011 and later this is covered under the Premium Care Maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Sorry you're just getting this news now, 2011_SRX.

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premium-care-maintenance.html

Sube

I checked on that freebee prior to changing it myself. Per Cadillac’s Premium Care website: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premium-care-maintenance.html The Passenger compartment air filter replacement is covered “when scheduled in accordance with the owner’s manual”. Page 11-5 in the 2011 SRX Owner Manual recommends “Passenger compartment air filter replacement Every 40,000 km/25,000 Miles or every 24 months whichever comes first.”
I was willing to spend $19.22 and change it after one year and 7,000 miles.

2011_SRX
10-18-11, 01:26 PM
Great write up. Was there any way to tell if the old filter was dirty since you only had 7000 miles and one year on the car?

The original filter was dirty enough to warrant replacement in my opinion. The roads around here are muddy so I think a year is a good time to replace it considering the minor cost and it is easy to do.

sube5186
10-18-11, 02:09 PM
Page 11-5 in the 2011 SRX Owner Manual recommends “Passenger compartment air filter replacement Every 40,000 km/25,000 Miles or every 24 months whichever comes first.” I was willing to spend $19.22 and change it after one year and 7,000 miles.

Hmmmm. I smell something fishy here. The '10 and '11 SRX have the same HVAC system. However, in the '10 manual they recommend changing the cabin air filter at 12,000 miles/1 year. I think they changed this recommendation to save them money due to the Premium Care Maintenance program. Either way, like you said, $19.22 is worth spending once a year. It's just odd that their recommendation changes when "they" have to pay for it.

Sube

sube5186
10-18-11, 02:14 PM
The original filter was dirty enough to warrant replacement in my opinion. The roads around here are muddy so I think a year is a good time to replace it considering the minor cost and it is easy to do.

The roads near me are not particularly dirty, but I too felt my filter was dirty enough to be changed after a year. I would not recommend anyone wait two years to change this, especially considering how cheap and easy it is to do. Having a clogged filter decreases air flow as well.

Sube

2011_SRX
10-19-11, 12:56 AM

I may not have correctly understood your question. The only way to tell if the old filter is dirty is to remove it. I figured if I went that far I should simply buy a new filter and replace it. The task is certainly easy enough. Sube raised an interesting point. The 2010 manual recommends 12,000mi/1yr. I agree with Sube, the one year interval is what I would recommend. GM stretched it in 2011 because it is "free".

MnMs
12-23-11, 11:07 AM
I have thought that the dirtier the air filter the better it filters but your HVAC will not work as good, no? In my 2012 there is an adjustment on the NAV screen to this filter from normal use to extreme. I guess extreme just means that more air is recycled thru the filter.

inspectorudy
04-30-12, 12:47 AM
Sube, you are not accusing GM of trying to make a buck on the backs of the 2010 people are you? This is the sort of thing bean counters do to improve the bottom line. I remember that United airlines or maybe American decided to leave the two olives out of the salads, back when they served salads, and they discovered that the money saved was several hundred thousands of dollars per year. Of course the passengers always came last to the bean counters. One wonders how hard it would have been to make the back wall of the glove compartment hinged at the bottom and opened with a simple turn tab. Then it would have been a no brainer for anyone to change it.

stevec5375
04-30-12, 06:27 PM
Sube, you are not accusing GM of trying to make a buck on the backs of the 2010 people are you? This is the sort of thing bean counters do to improve the bottom line. I remember that United airlines or maybe American decided to leave the two olives out of the salads, back when they served salads, and they discovered that the money saved was several hundred thousands of dollars per year. Of course the passengers always came last to the bean counters. One wonders how hard it would have been to make the back wall of the glove compartment hinged at the bottom and opened with a simple turn tab. Then it would have been a no brainer for anyone to change it.

As the long as the public is willing to put up with this stuff, we'll continue to get more of it. I told my dealership that it was ridiculous that I had to pay them $125 to remove an acorn that got into my fan due to my attempt to change my own in-cabin filter. It's clear that they're trying to make money lost through sales via service.

I wish I lived close enough to the things I need that I could just get rid of a car altogether. Unfortunately, I live in urban-sprawl Austin, TX. You can't survive in this town w/o a car.

scurling
05-21-12, 07:55 PM
I'm glad I searched and found your excellent filter replacement instructions. The Wix filter I purchased came with instructions that has me removing the instr. panel lower cover, the instr. panel end-cap cover, and the instr. panel lower trim panel to the left of the passenger's feet area. I hesitated on the end-cap removal which required a trim tool and sought out greater experience on the forum.

I can't believe it was as simple as removing the glove box tray to access the filter box.

A thousand thanks.

2011_SRX
05-21-12, 11:31 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to have helped. Was the WIX Filter a good replacement for the OEM?

bwclemons
05-22-12, 09:01 AM
I replaced mine with the AC Delco one on ebay. I think it was about $12.00 with free shipping and arrived in two days. I went to Home Depot and got some 1/8" thick by 1/4" foam tape and ran a strip around the sides and back like the one I pulled out. It seals really tight so no air can get around the filter. The whole process took about 10 minutes to remove and replace the filter. I have a 2011 and no one at the dealership mentioned it should be replaced. I had about 35,000mi on the car and it was filthy.

scurling
05-22-12, 09:06 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to have helped. Was the WIX Filter a good replacement for the OEM?

Yes, the Wix filer (made in South Korea) was an exact size replacement with the impregnated charcoal. It did not have the thin foam strip as on the GM original filter.