: Thinking about trading in the V

Castro
10-11-11, 05:23 PM
It might be time, I have a 2005 Black on Black, 77K miles, sunroof, newer transmission/clutch, poly mounts and bushings, freshly serviced, fresh sets of winter and summer tires, stock except for the poly stuff and UUC shifter w/ V2 knob and the gforce axle. The diff is about dead, it howls but is the 25xxx series so no leaks just pure annoyance. I'm thinking I'd get around $15K for a trade in.

I got promoted and relocated to the DC area, it's a very heavy traffic environment and I make a 400 mile round trip to the home office on occasion so I'm looking for a year round awd car that would be comfortable in the city and fast. I'm looking at a used 335xi sedan with flappy paddle gear box as well as an SRT8 Jeep. The bimmer is looking better since it's waaaaaaaaay better mileage, newer, slightly less money, same mileage, way better handling, more luxury, etc. but the Jeep would be sweet too. A dealer has both on the lot so I'll check them out. I don't plan on doing anything crazy to either just a tune and maybe exhaust/intake type stuff. What would you do?

JimmyH
10-11-11, 05:58 PM
As someone who sold his V and deeply regretted it, I say keep the V. With all season tires, I was getting 23-24 mpg. Unless I go to a car that gets 30+, the gas savings isn't worth it to me. And I drive 25000 mi/year.

garrettg
10-11-11, 06:08 PM
The 335 bimmer is smaller than V1, if your wanting to go awd and perf is not high priority then perhaps take adv of extra space with the 5 series. Awd bimmers with sport are not really the same performance wise as the rwd bimmers with sport imho. The X5M/X6M are the exception of course. I would personally keep the V1 or if you want something newer get a V2 and put snow tires on it like you mentioned in either case. If performance is not as big of a deal then look at a E60 535ix or even the new 5 series. These cars can still be tuned and exhaust put on with same gains as 335i(x). Its possible with the 335ix/535ix you could get away with all seasons if that is important to you but at some point the height of the snow will limit any car where a suv/truck can continue on because of ride height/tire size.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 06:29 PM
A tuned 335 will easily run with a modified V. But they are a dime a dozen. A V is rare and unique. And it's just plain cooler.

Castro
10-11-11, 07:36 PM
I agree with your responses I'm just questioning whether I want to put a lot of money in the V with this many miles. If I were to keep it I'd want to get a proper rear end, then when that was done I'm sure I'd want more power, smoother clutch, and do I really want to put $10K+ into it that I won't get back or buy a newer lower mileage car with less hassle. The other possible option is an S6 I found for a good price, the 5.2 V10 is pretty tempting with all the luxury included and AWD, my best friend is an Audi master tech and shop foreman too. I'm certainly used to rwd in winters but it's very temting to go with an Audi or BMX xdrive to be honest, lot of snow here. My V is terrible on the highway due to the noise. Maybe I'll take it to Lindsay for a new stock diff and see how I feel. Or get a cheap hemi jeep as a second car. Eh I don't know.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 07:59 PM
Keep it and get a DD.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 07:59 PM
Then again, not wanting the hassle and expense of two cars (three counting the wife's) is part of why I sold mine. So I feel ya.

CadzillaTN
10-11-11, 08:02 PM
We talkin cash or payments here?

Nothing beats a paid off V, mods or not.

Besides, those other cars sans audi are dime a dozen and none will be hassle free..you'll also want to mod..back to square 1.

Have you tracked it yet?

odthetruth
10-11-11, 10:55 PM
We talkin cash or payments here?

Nothing beats a paid off V, mods or not.

Besides, those other cars sans audi are dime a dozen and none will be hassle free..you'll also want to mod..back to square 1.

Have you tracked it yet?

Amen. All the reason I bought mine cash.
I haven't had the opportunity to run this V in the snow, but I'm sure with a good set of snow tires, and the stability system, etc... this car would do just fine.

However, if you do decide to trade it in... Can I get your V2 shift knob? LOL Even trade?

mstrjon32
10-12-11, 01:00 AM
As someone who has lived in the DC area, my recommendation to you, as someone who is presumably a car guy, is to get a car you don't care about. There is no worse place in the entire country for driving. You're going to sit in traffic, you're going to park far away and come back to scratches and dents, you're going to parallel park and come back to huge gashes in your bumpers. I had a Monte Carlo I really liked when I lived back there and it was getting the crap beaten out of it just parked on the street. I bought a used Jeep Cherokee and never worried about it again...I would park in the tightest spots without worry and I would merge onto the highway with a "I'm going to hit your new Merc if you don't move, so get the hell out of way" attitude and it was awesome. IMO, living there is a nightmare...unless I am forced to, I would never go back. Good luck.

If you do sell the V, let me know and I'll buy your winter wheels/tires if the price is fair. You would have to be willing to ship to APO, though...

odthetruth
10-12-11, 03:44 AM
As someone who has lived in the DC area, my recommendation to you, as someone who is presumably a car guy, is to get a car you don't care about. There is no worse place in the entire country for driving. You're going to sit in traffic, you're going to park far away and come back to scratches and dents, you're going to parallel park and come back to huge gashes in your bumpers. I had a Monte Carlo I really liked when I lived back there and it was getting the crap beaten out of it just parked on the street. I bought a used Jeep Cherokee and never worried about it again...I would park in the tightest spots without worry and I would merge onto the highway with a "I'm going to hit your new Merc if you don't move, so get the hell out of way" attitude and it was awesome. IMO, living there is a nightmare...unless I am forced to, I would never go back. Good luck.

If you do sell the V, let me know and I'll buy your winter wheels/tires if the price is fair. You would have to be willing to ship to APO, though...

LOL I agree with your entire aspect on it... however, I believe the bold statement is up for debate... Specifically because I live in NYC...

I've had my rear bumper repainted maybe 3 times due to walking up and finding spiderweb cracks or giant chips in it from parallel parking.
I've replaced 2 front bumpers on my old CTS, one I had to chase down a guy in a U-haul truck at midnight, and the other someone had damaged and given me the money to repair... and then I was rear ended into a car, causing both front and rear damage... within the 2 years I owned the CTS... And now I have a V...

I would keep the V, throw some winters on it, and just be careful driving.

darkman
10-12-11, 07:04 AM

Yep, and they've got traffic circles. My weapon of choice would be an unrestored 1994 Buick Roadmaster, preferrably the station wagon - it lets them know right off that you ain't taking prisoners.

M5eater
10-12-11, 08:21 AM

+1

In said area, and select other places in the world, you *need* a car that you simply do not care as much about as a daily driver. If you're one of those people that eyeballs a quarter sized ding from 500 feet away and it makes you barf, DC is not for you. I winced and cursed more times just driving through DC than I have in 6 months driving in Suffolk.

D.K
10-12-11, 09:54 AM
As someone who, both lives in the DC area and just ditched an Audi S4 in favor of a CTS-V, I can relate. I owned my S4 for 3.5 years, and it was a great car. It did everything extremely well...it just wasn't fun or particularly exciting. I'm not sure about the S6, but the V8 S4s suffer from many of the same issues that plague the V1s...starters failing, radiators leaking, various mounts needing replacement, electrical gremlins, etc. Parts are much more expensive though, and if you think a V10 S6 will decrease your fuel expense costs, you're not going to be pleased with the outcome. My S4, with it's 4.2 V8 was on par with my V in terms of city driving.
And living in the DC area, I do recommend that you get a beater car that you don't really care about appearance wise and use that for you daily. Traffic in this area is terrible most days, and people's attitudes when they're behind the wheel doesn't make the situation any better. Regardless of what you decide to do with your V, a beater car can be very useful.

GDPossehl
10-12-11, 10:18 AM
Personally I'd get a SRT8 jeep over the 335xi.
My girlfriend has a 335i hardtop convertible rwd and the gas mileage is not great at all. Getting in and out of it is a PITA and I'm not a big guy either. 5'11 170lb.

But like most have said, if you're doing the daily grind in the shithole of our nations capital during the winter then get a BEATER. It'll save you a lot of headache and you'll have something to look forward to when you get out of there.

JimmyH
10-12-11, 01:34 PM
LOL I agree with your entire aspect on it... however, I believe the bold statement is up for debate... Specifically because I live in NYC...

That's any big city. I know several people who live and work in downtown Chicago; all their cars are pretty well beat up.