: New Mobile App for Android and iphone ipod is here!

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 06:10 PM
Just an FYI for those having issues browsing our site on either an iPhone or Android device. We're having a custom app designed for the Cadillac community. It'll be a free download in your providers "app" marketplace. I'll write back when I have an estimated time of arrival.

Thank an advertiser or site supporter. They paid for it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: search for "cadillac forum" in itunes or marketplace

iphone screenshots

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/83815d1323834170-new-mobile-app-android-iphone-ipod-img_0796-1-.png http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/83811d1323833951-new-mobile-app-android-iphone-ipod-img_0789-1-.png http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/83814d1323834078-new-mobile-app-android-iphone-ipod-img_0795-1-.png http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/83812d1323833971-new-mobile-app-android-iphone-ipod-img_0793-1-.png http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/83813d1323833994-new-mobile-app-android-iphone-ipod-img_0794-1-.png

mrl859
10-11-11, 06:40 PM
Kool!!!!

Lord Cadillac
12-09-11, 06:42 PM
Just keeping you all up to date on this. The app is almost ready.

Lord Cadillac
12-09-11, 07:48 PM
More info. It's probably going to take a couple of weeks to be approved for the Apple store - but if you're using Android - you should see it this evening. You'll probably get to use it before I do...

Stingroo
12-09-11, 10:12 PM
Hmm... oh really?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Hooray, I'm the first downloader!

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Hello from the Android app!

Lord Cadillac
12-10-11, 01:51 AM
Hmm... oh really?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Hooray, I'm the first downloader!

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Hello from the Android app!

I guess you beat me! I think I must be the second.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

What do you think so far?

Stingroo
12-10-11, 09:06 AM
I love it! It's very similar to Tapatalk. Easy to use, navigation is nice. There are slight load times each time you open a thread when it contacts the main server, but it's nothing crippling. Blows the "mobile skin" out of the water.

I approve of this update. :thumbsup: Thank you very much.

MacMuse
12-10-11, 02:49 PM
Please hurry on the iOS side... Tapatalk has been dying constantly on my iPad for the last couple weeks, even after a wipe of the app & reinstall. I'm almost ready to reload the iPad since the app still works fine on the iPhone.

MacMuse
12-10-11, 02:52 PM
Of, course this made search the App Store for Cadillac which I clearly had never done.

Wow, a dealer only Cadillac app - interesting. And I love (not) the OnStar app good for all 2011 Caddys except the STS. Not that I have a 2011 STS, just sayin' how rude to exclude.

RippyPartsDept
12-10-11, 02:58 PM
what's the name of this new app? and how do we find it when it does become available on the appstore?

MacMuse
12-10-11, 03:47 PM
roo, App screenshot or it doesn't exist.

(was going to post a link to one of the 20-step screenshot tricks for Android, but I guess I'm just too nice)

MacMuse
12-10-11, 03:48 PM
Looks like CadillacApp based on a tag on a recent roo post.

Lord Cadillac
12-10-11, 04:51 PM
Try "Cadillac forums" or "Cadillac forum" - I forget which.

Stingroo
12-10-11, 05:43 PM
How do I take a screenshot? lol Didn't even know that was possible....

RippyPartsDept
12-10-11, 06:08 PM
Lock button and home button together will take a screenshot in iOS.

MacMuse
12-10-11, 07:29 PM
For android you have to buy/have an app for screenshots, or root the phone.

MacMuse
12-10-11, 07:30 PM
Or use an iPhone to take a picture of the screen.

snicker-snicker

Stingroo
12-10-11, 08:43 PM
Meh. Oh well. If I can find a free app I'll do it. lol

JimmyH
12-13-11, 07:54 PM
This sucks. You should have held back the android app Sal. No fair.

Rolex
12-13-11, 08:25 PM
Patiently awaiting the iPhone app. :)

"CadillacForums.com.....there's an app for that."

JimmyH
12-13-11, 08:35 PM
http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif

Lord Cadillac
12-13-11, 11:10 PM
The Apple iTunes app is ready. You'll see it before I do. Let me know how it is. Search "cadillac forums". That should do it.

Rolex
12-13-11, 11:18 PM
The Apple iTunes app is ready. You'll see it before I do. Let me know how it is. Search "cadillac forums". That should do it.

Downloading it now. :)

"Cadillac forums" was indeed the correct search term.

Lord Cadillac
12-13-11, 11:35 PM
I downloaded it. So far, so good. And best of all, it's free for everyone to download and use...

----------

Just a warning to everyone :o - There will be a few ads for non-supporters - just like the regular site. I'm not sure why they're not showing right now - but they will. Since everything is going "mobile" it would be pretty brainless for me to keep the mobile version ad free.

JimmyH
12-13-11, 11:40 PM
So far so good. The things that stand out:

1) Subscribed topics! This was sorely missing from Tapatalk.

2) New topic notification badge; I am assuming that is how many new topics in your subscriptions

3) No moderation tools?

Here's some screen grabs:

83811 83812 83813 83814 83815

Bluehaze07
12-13-11, 11:46 PM
I didn't even have to search to find it. It's the first app on the social networking app list. Woot!! I think this is a great addition to the community. Thanks.

It's installing right now.

JimmyH
12-14-11, 12:04 AM
I updated the first post with screenshots.

RippyPartsDept
12-14-11, 02:34 AM
did a search on my iphone an hour ago ... nothing

i'll check again tomorrow

Stingroo
12-14-11, 04:13 AM
I rooted my phone for screenshots.

(Okay, not JUST for screenshots... also to delete carrier bloatware.)

Still digging the app.

Kingoftypos
12-14-11, 05:45 AM
Nicely done, I am glad to see a dedicated app for the forums.

I am not much of reviewer. But there is something that I like to see. I like the fact you can pull down the screen to refresh. It just says "Pull down to refresh." Would it be possible to put the last time it was refreshed?

I have yet to see a smiley. So let's see if this works... :) and :thumbsup:

KOT

----------

Uh oh I put thumbsup instead of thumbup.

So I went back to edit it, which was weird coming from tapatalk. All I had to do was to click on my post and it automatically brought me to the edit screen. :thumbup: however, after I made the edit. It gave me an error message saying my post is too short. So I canceled it and of course it didn't save my edit.

If there is a thread for posting requests an what not and I missed it. Sorry, if not shall one be made?

KOT

JimmyH
12-14-11, 12:57 PM
Just post them here.

rippy, when I searched "cadillac forums" on my iphone I got nothing. When I searched "cadillac forum" I found it.

RippyPartsDept
12-14-11, 01:56 PM
yeah i tried both last night ... i'll check again tonight after work

btw, thanks for getting this together sal

hueterm
12-14-11, 02:27 PM
Am on it now... works great... basically just like Tapatalk.

Kingoftypos
12-14-11, 03:34 PM
I didn't realize this last night. But my "post" appears to be my edit portion as well. But I could swear I made a "new" reply. Though I could be wrong. Know what I mean fellas?

KOT

RippyPartsDept
12-14-11, 04:38 PM
that's a forum software update ... if you add a new post and the previous post was yours it will join them together

that's how the website has been working for me for a week or two

Kingoftypos
12-14-11, 06:18 PM
Oh, so this reply and my next one will be joined together.

KOT

Kingoftypos
12-14-11, 06:19 PM
No matter what program I used to post both replies?

KOT

Kingoftypos
12-14-11, 06:21 PM
Sorry for being a post whore. But the first was on the new app. The second and this one was on tapatalk. Maybe I had to stay on the same program.

KOT

RippyPartsDept
12-14-11, 06:32 PM
found it ... i'll report back any bugs, comments, etc after i use it a bit

any word on an iPad version? or is it universal already?

JimmyH
12-14-11, 06:45 PM
Am on it now... works great... basically just like Tapatalk.

except no moderator tools that I can find. still need tapatalk for that.

adrian-s
12-14-11, 09:14 PM
Cool having a dedicated app. One usability item I noticed was that some forum titles are wider than the screen, so if you're not familiar with placement of sections, you wouldn't know which is which since they read the same (like in the ctsv 2004-07 section).

Also... I was going to attach a screen shot from my iPhone to demonstrate the above but the app said the dimensions were too large (800 long vs 768 ). May be worth extending the max height to 800.

-adrian

MacMuse
12-15-11, 02:02 AM
Sweet job Sal!

Yes, it's universal / iPad friendly.

Bug: iPad in landscape mode, Who's online, pick anyone, only top half of screen is painted. Rotate to portrait and return to landscape and it looks fine.

I think the basic readability is better than Tapatalk, really impressed!

----------

except no moderator tools that I can find. still need tapatalk for that.

Top right corner, the curved arrow button. And if you highlight a post (the header area turns yellow) you can moderate post options are available under the arrow.

JimmyH
12-15-11, 02:17 AM
I'll have to try that. I didn't see that last night when I was playing around with it.

----------

wtf? where's my phone?

vincentm
12-15-11, 03:01 PM
For android you have to buy/have an app for screenshots, or root the phone.

Wrong, use the ddms.bat file from the sdk software

RippyPartsDept
12-15-11, 03:05 PM
did you find your phone Jimmy?

JimmyH
12-15-11, 09:10 PM
left it in my car. on the floor. lulz.

dkozloski
12-16-11, 12:24 PM
I am a total smartphone retard and do not own a cell phone. I do have a Nook Color. Can I load your app on it and browse the forum? The only way I know how to load an app on it now is to download it to my laptop and drag it across my wireless net.

RippyPartsDept
12-16-11, 12:52 PM
possibly, if the nook allows you to install any android app

as for my review of the app: i kind of like tapatalk better - at least initially and at first glance

i'm going to be using them both over the holidays to give the new app a real chance to win me over

ga_etc
12-16-11, 05:44 PM
So far I'm liking the app for on the go access. I still prefer the full site on the computer though.

slk230mb
12-17-11, 12:24 AM
So far so good from my iPad :)

ga_etc
12-17-11, 01:04 AM
I encountered an issue earlier with an image link in a quote from the app. I actually had to pull up the site with my browser on my phone to fix it. The mobile site never shows up on my phone for some reason, it has always been the full site. Not always a bad thing though.

Kingoftypos
12-17-11, 08:18 AM
I encountered an issue earlier with an image link in a quote from the app. I actually had to pull up the site with my browser on my phone to fix it. The mobile site never shows up on my phone for some reason, it has always been the full site. Not always a bad thing though.

The full site has been showing up on mobile devices for over a year now. It was a couple of weeks before the last major and noticeable upgrade to the side. Sal said that the newer upgrade didn't have a mobile version. And that we had to wait until a third party made it possible. Guess it never happened as for a mobile browser.

KOT

MacMuse
12-17-11, 10:03 AM
possibly, if the nook allows you to install any android app

as for my review of the app: i kind of like tapatalk better - at least initially and at first glance

i'm going to be using them both over the holidays to give the new app a real chance to win me over

I'm done with Tapatalk for now. I have an issue with the new app and its attached image file size restriction, but hopefully Sal will expand that a little. Of the functional & layout differences between the two, I'm leaning toward the new app. Especially since I can PM from this app while Tapatalk crashes on every PM attempt.

RippyPartsDept
12-17-11, 10:26 AM
I'm beginning to like the new app on the ipad, but on the iphone it's just too small - i think tapatalk does a better job on the smaller screen

i don't have problems PMing w/ tapatalk ... hmmm i'm guessing that you tried clearing out the cache from the settings, right?

Kingoftypos
12-17-11, 12:26 PM
A major plus for this app over tapatalk. Is that you can choose the amount of posts per page to the same exact number as it is on the PC. Tapatalk is like 5 post off.

KOT

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-17-11, 12:58 PM
I downloaded it yesterday for my Droid X. Really love it! Thanks Sal for putting it together!!!

The only downside is that I no longer will be looking forward all day to getting home from work and going on the site. I can do it from anywhere now!

dkozloski
12-17-11, 01:14 PM
Nook Color uses the Droid operating system but you can't use phone apps without "rooting" or cracking it because BN has blocked them. They have their own apps to sell.

RippyPartsDept
12-17-11, 01:25 PM
.... figures

JimmyH
12-17-11, 06:05 PM
I noticed the app won't resize pictures automatically the way tapatalk does. You should consider this.

Also I have been getting network timeouts with the app where I haven't with tapatalk.

ga_etc
12-17-11, 08:26 PM
You can change the settings on attachment size/picture quality.

Kingoftypos
12-17-11, 08:33 PM
I just adjusted to maximum size of 1280. But there's still a file limit of 390.6kb.

KOT

Kingoftypos
12-18-11, 03:35 AM
Has any one else signed into the push on iPod touch. And never received an email? I even tried with adding my email address.

Either way, I know my email is current. Because I am receiving emails for private messages as I always have.

KOT

MacMuse
12-18-11, 01:20 PM
I presume that push system enables a cross platform app to support push notifications in one programming method rather than changing the code to meet android & iOS separate methods. But as a user, I'm not interested in supplying info to a third party so an app programmer can take an easy way out. Intentions aside, it sounds spammy to me.

JimmyH
12-22-11, 05:45 PM
I changed my password and the app won't log me in. Instead of asking for my password it just keeps trying to log in.

MacMuse
12-23-11, 02:01 AM
Try changing pw back to previous value, then go into app & log out. Change pw from browser and reconnect from the app.

A bad workaround but it might get you back in. Otherwise, you'll have to delete the app and reinstall it.

JimmyH
12-23-11, 09:59 PM
I am probably just going to delete and reinstall.

Still, Sal, you should have them fix this in the app.

RippyPartsDept
12-23-11, 10:19 PM
Hmm. I had to re- login the other day. Maybe it was yesterday. I figured that all the sessions were purged or something.

Also, is there a way to 'like' a post in the new app?

RippyPartsDept
12-24-11, 01:09 PM
Another thing - when I click on a link that is for this forum it takes me to the web page for the link but it would be nice if that would take me to the app view for that thread instead.

JimmyH
01-01-12, 12:21 AM
Using the new app on the iPad. Very cool :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
01-01-12, 01:03 AM
I will say, I am rifling through this forum much quicker than I ever could on the full browser...

hueterm
01-01-12, 01:21 AM
Moar time for moar spammz...

JimmyH
01-01-12, 02:00 PM
I don't know about that. On my workstation, I get about 30 threads opened simultaneously in tabs. I get through threads much quicker there than on any mobile device.

thebigjimsho
01-02-12, 10:55 AM
I don't know about that. On my workstation, I get about 30 threads opened simultaneously in tabs. I get through threads much quicker there than on any mobile device.

I am talking about comparing both methods strictly on a mobile device...

You g00ber...

JimmyH
01-02-12, 09:55 PM
I don't like goobers. They stick to my teeth.

thebigjimsho
01-03-12, 06:34 PM
D O T S :canttalk:

JimmyH
01-03-12, 07:40 PM
milk duds. egads.

hasselcloud
03-01-12, 10:15 AM
superb app i must say........but please give the details clearly........name of the app!!! and also the search process........i have iphone4 series with me!!!