: What year (04-07) CTS-V should I buy?

Dart Amos
10-11-11, 11:22 AM
What input do you have for choosing a first generation CTS-V year to buy? I am only really aware of rear end/axle issues with the 04 and 05, but given the overall changes and upgrades during the first generation of Vs, what year should I look for? If changes are minimal, I would look more at the (potentially) more affordable early years of gen 1. Are NAV systems upgradable with a software download, or would I be stuck with old GPS info, for example? Thank you.

D.K
10-11-11, 11:38 AM
It's all personal preference. For me, I only looked at 04-05s because I preferred to have an LS6 over the LS2 motor. I really had my sights set on an 05 for the simple fact that they didn't have the On-Star antenna on the rear window, but ended up with an 04. Oddly enough, I now love the look of the On-Star antenna.
Test drive a few, and see if 1 stands out more than the rest. Other than the engines and rears, there weren't many changes made from 2004-2007.

Faber
10-11-11, 01:34 PM
also, though contrary to your budget conscious approach, getting an 06-07 that still has some of the 100K warranty on it would be a nice plus though it would likely cost more...

Houdini
10-11-11, 02:02 PM
+1 on the warranty! Other than that, you can't go wrong with either engine. If you find an 04 or 05, it may have already had the rear diff replaced to the updated version. No matter what year you get of the v1, it will still wheel hop like crazy on hard launches unless you go with aftermarket axles.

The 06/07 have larger diameter axles, the updated rear diff, black centercaps on the wheels, and steering wheel radio buttons.

rand49er
10-11-11, 02:12 PM
^^^ Yeah all the above.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 02:18 PM
LS6 vs LS2 debate, part 84. Go!!!

JDB
10-11-11, 03:32 PM
The one with the lowest miles and good maintenance history ...under your budget....and without a truck motor ;)

GDPossehl
10-12-11, 11:41 AM
I'd buy the one with the most FIX mods. Motor & trans mounts, differential upgrades, shifter, etc. And HUGE bonus if the car has headers even if you think it's too loud at first. That can be quieted down later. You WILL want to replace these things sooner than later and it's definitely better to buy a V with them already on it rather than pay out the ~6g's it could take to fix up a completely stock V.

Yes, the Nav unit can be updated. The 04's window antenna can be removed. The BOSE system can be bypassed or piggybacked. You can add an ipod adapter... anything is possible with time and money.

Stepside
10-13-11, 12:04 AM
....and without a truck motor ;)

LS6 = GEN III = She's a Scream'er :rollingpin:

LS2 = GEN IV = She's a 'smooth operator' :cloud9:

:stirpot:

:peeking:

thebigjimsho
10-13-11, 01:14 PM
It's all personal preference. For me, I only looked at 04-05s because I preferred to have an LS6 over the LS2 motor. I really had my sights set on an 05 for the simple fact that they didn't have the On-Star antenna on the rear window, but ended up with an 04. Oddly enough, I now love the look of the On-Star antenna.
Test drive a few, and see if 1 stands out more than the rest. Other than the engines and rears, there weren't many changes made from 2004-2007.I love everything about this post. Mast antenna, FTW!

thebigjimsho
10-13-11, 01:15 PM
LS6 = GEN III = She's a Scream'er :rollingpin: LS2 = GEN IV = She's a 'smooth operator' :cloud9: :stirpot: :peeking:Like screamer is a bad thing, old man? hehehe

thebigjimsho
10-13-11, 01:20 PM
Yeah, most older Vs will likely have upgrades as needed on replacement. My '04 had the newest iteration diff, new motor mounts and all the little recalls that came in over time. Like the radiator, moonroof switch, sail panels, etc...

Overall, my '04 was very trouble-free. And I love the fact the '04 is unique and visually set apart. Anyone who replaced their OnStar mast antenna are short-sighted...

JimmyH
10-13-11, 02:11 PM
LS6 :cloud9: even the LS3 doesn't pull quite as hard to redline

CadzillaTN
10-13-11, 04:56 PM
Yeah, most older Vs will likely have upgrades as needed on replacement. My '04 had the newest iteration diff, new motor mounts and all the little recalls that came in over time. Like the radiator, moonroof switch, sail panels, etc...

Overall, my '04 was very trouble-free. And I love the fact the '04 is unique and visually set apart. Anyone who replaced their OnStar mast antenna are short-sighted...

My internal antenna is still there, but the squiggle is stored inside with a fresh piece of 3m double sided tape just in case I'm in a (bad) situation and need to use it...

Hopefully that never happens but the full 3 watts of analog power will reach at least 6x the distance of a handheld cell.. Good to have if you take out a fence and hit some cattle on a twisty country road.

That is, until the brains of these units are obselete, which is probably right around the corner.

thebigjimsho
10-13-11, 05:21 PM
I still love seeing those masts...

JimmyH
10-13-11, 05:25 PM
you're weird

Stepside
10-13-11, 09:05 PM
Like screamer is a bad thing, old man? hehehe

:coffee: Did not say it was a bad thing . . young gun. Screamers are fun, exciting ride . .

just don't want Gen 3 'old' when I can have Gen 4 'young' . . hehehe :gungrin:

CTSV_Rob
10-14-11, 02:23 AM
Are you smoking crack Jimmy?

odthetruth
10-14-11, 02:41 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkx06Wx3uMr03DKnODYDZ5YM-Esw4hO3anxhP5ZdVai0fmx2fI35H8e_VxyQ
Trolling?

JimmyH
10-14-11, 01:47 PM
Are you smoking crack Jimmy?

Maybe it's because I haven't pushed the Camaro as hard as I did the V. Maybe because the V was a little lighter. But the LS6 just felt like it wanted to punch right through the rev limiter. The LS3 doesn't feel that way. The LS3, however, has ALOT, and I mean ALOT more low end torque. At 1000 rpm in 6th, you can actually accelerate. Couldn't do that in the V.

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 02:15 PM
The first few months with the '04 V, I kept bouncing off the rev limiter. Truck motorz don't do that...

odthetruth
10-14-11, 06:23 PM
Thats because the LS2 has no limiter. They paint it red near 7k to let you know you can explode LS6 engines around you if you pass them at those RPMs.

:stirpot:

JimmyH
10-14-11, 08:24 PM
The LS2 won't reach 7000k. At 6950k it remembers it's a truck motor and shuts down of its own volition.

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 11:01 PM
The LS6 was made to rev. The LS2 was made to stump pull.