: The ads are back and killing the iPad Viewing-how to fix?

translux
10-11-11, 10:50 AM
How do I fix?

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120/trans_lux/misc/1669ccf0.jpg

JOEYCTS-V
10-11-11, 10:53 AM
TAPATALK! You will not look back!

The Tony Show
10-11-11, 12:32 PM
That's odd- my iPad doesn't look like that when viewing the forum. Are you iPad 1 or 2, and do you have the latest iOS?

The Tony Show
10-11-11, 12:36 PM
You could toss in five bucks to help cover the hosting bill and get fewer ads by becoming a Supporting Member (http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html). We all enjoy posting here, but the bills have to get paid somehow. If only 10% of the forum would support it, 90% of the ads would go away.

smackdownCTSV
10-11-11, 12:47 PM
Except the $5 only lasts for a month. I've been here almost 4 months already, so I'd fall under the 6 months which would be $25. And if I'm here over 6 months, then it's 1 year @ $50. I'm apart of another large forum and the dollar goes farther. If you're not a "supporting member" you only get 1 ad.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 01:02 PM
I'm apart of another large forum and the dollar goes farther. If you're not a "supporting member" you only get 1 ad.

Which forum is that?

smackdownCTSV
10-11-11, 01:06 PM
LXForums

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 01:17 PM
They have 89 advertisers.

LXForums

smackdownCTSV
10-11-11, 01:22 PM
You asked. But it's a third of the membership.

RippyPartsDept
10-11-11, 01:26 PM
they've got a third of the traffic this site has, which means the hosting bills are much less than here

i wonder what the subscriber rate is there compared to here compared to 'industry' averages for auto forum paid subscriptions

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 01:34 PM
In a good month, we have 15 advertisers. If we had 89 direct advertisers, this would be one clean-looking site.

You asked. But it's a third of the membership.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 01:35 PM
Otherwise, I wonder how many people see those ads stretched to the right. I don't know what that's all about but they're not supposed to be there like that...

Speedtrapped
10-11-11, 01:37 PM
You could toss in five bucks to help cover the hosting bill and get fewer ads by becoming a Supporting Member (http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html). We all enjoy posting here, but the bills have to get paid somehow. If only 10% of the forum would support it, 90% of the ads would go away.

I am supporting member and my Ipad always looks like what he is posting, it is an Ipad1...

Speedtrapped
10-11-11, 01:39 PM
Listen I would glasy pay a little more, the site is excellent, is platinum supporter free of the ads? Honest question.

The Tony Show
10-11-11, 01:44 PM
No, Platinum is not free of all ads. It has the lowest number of any supporting group, but there are still some. The main advantages are increased attachment and PM space.

One thing I notice on my iPad is that safari is slow to load the pages fully, and the ads will appear stretched all the way out like that until the page is completely loaded, then they snap into place.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 02:45 PM
There should be ZERO network ads for Platinum Supporters. I'm going through and removing a few I had trouble getting out with code some time ago. So far it's worked with all but one nagging skyscraper ad on the right. For some reason, it's just not coming out... I don't know why...

Listen I would glasy pay a little more, the site is excellent, is platinum supporter free of the ads? Honest question.

translux
10-11-11, 04:09 PM
I have several iPads v1, 2 and they all look like this.
I was a supporting member, thought I was on a auto renew or something.
Could explain why the ads are back.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 04:13 PM
Yes, that is exactly why they're back. If you're a platinum supporter, your screen will be completely clear of network ads except for that one I mentioned earlier that I'm having trouble removing. Considering it's beneath the direct ads from vendors, it probably won't interfere much anyway.

I have several iPads v1, 2 and they all look like this.
I was a supporting member, thought I was on a auto renew or something.
Could explain why the ads are back.

FLTRI
10-11-11, 04:41 PM
Exactly what my iPhone4 screen looks like.

It's so bad I've given up trying to access this site on my phone. It's basically unusable, and very frustrating...

RippyPartsDept
10-11-11, 04:52 PM
translux, if you're paypal email address and your forum email address don't match you will have problems with auto-renew

i was still getting charged but the admins would have to manually renew my subscription ... it became enough of a pain that we decided to fix it (now all is good!)

The Tony Show
10-11-11, 04:54 PM
Exactly what my iPhone4 screen looks like.

It's so bad I've given up trying to access this site on my phone. It's basically unusable, and very frustrating...

That's good to know, since I only see the site on my iPhone as a supporter. I'm sure Lord Cadillac will look into how the network banner ads are displaying for non supporters on mobile devices and see if he can get it fixed.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 04:58 PM
Can you guys with iPhones and Android phones download the TapaTalk plugin? There's a free version and it should look much better than what you're seeing. In time we'll probably have something better for the native iPhone and Android browsers but at this time we do not...

JimmyH
10-11-11, 06:22 PM
oh, hey, my subscription expired. Guess I need to renew it. Browsing on a pc, I haven't really noticed any slowdown at all.

adrian-s
10-11-11, 07:11 PM
My iPad shows the same page behavior.

Lord Cadillac
10-11-11, 07:20 PM
Are you using the iPad with TapaTalk?

My iPad shows the same page behavior.

adrian-s
10-11-11, 07:41 PM
Are you using the iPad with TapaTalk?

i've used with both.... the issue shows with the iPad browser. shoot me a PM if you want to chat phone, here's some info that may help.

i've used this page as a quick test scenario:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/242451-radio-will-not-turn-off-2009-a.html

when viewing that page on the iPad, the "doingOK" graphic beneath the forum section names, to the right of the four line text ads, makes the page come out wider than the main section of the page.

take a look at the code, you'll see a td with a width of 728, then the ad with a width of 468. that ends up being too much. if you push the doingOK ad down by making a new table row, you push the doingok graphic down a row and lessen the width.

eg: make the first td a td colspan=2 and then add a /tr and tr, then make the second td a td colspan=2

that should take care of that ad area.

the other one that is messing things up is the top ad to th right of cadillacowners.com, sometimes an ad comes up which is overly wide, which makes the website graphic + ad graphic push the page too wide as well. a similar solution may work there.

that should fix the views within postings..

here's a before/after example of the doingok graphics move:

before:
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/post-test.html

after
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/post-test2.html

if that helps, let me know and i'll take a quick look at the forum contents page layout.

before
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/post-before.jpg

after
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/post-after.jpg

-a

adrian-s
10-11-11, 08:02 PM
ok, here's some info on the contents page

example before/after:

before
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/contents-test.html

after
http://adriansullivan.com/cf/contents-test2.html

the ads that throw this section off is the left/right google ad that is in the title/thread starter, replies/views, last post by section. there's no closing of that header, so the ads are popping out to the right of the title.

if you add a div open/close before/after the two google ads, you can push them down slightly and keep the page from going too wide in that area

i added a div class="threadbit" just before the table width 100, then closed the div after the /table at the end of those two ads.

before:

http://adriansullivan.com/cf/contents-before.jpg

after:

http://adriansullivan.com/cf/contents-after.jpg

-adrian

Lord Cadillac
10-12-11, 12:03 PM
Hi Adrian,

Thank you! I appreciate you looking into this. What is the screen resolution on the iPad?

As for the top V-Series of the Month banners (right side), I see how they're a problem. The thing is - I don't want to stretch the page DOWN any further. So I may need to think of another way to handle this......

As for those two 468x60 ads that stretch all the way over to the right - on top of the ad cubes - that I want to look at first. I'll copy/paste an example of the code I'm using and maybe you could edit that for the fix. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again!

Lord Cadillac
10-12-11, 12:09 PM
<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8">
<div align="left">AD CODE
</div></td> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8">
<div align="right">
AD CODE
</div></td> </tr></table>

adrian-s
10-12-11, 07:21 PM
Hi Adrian,

Thank you! I appreciate you looking into this. What is the screen resolution on the iPad?

As for the top V-Series of the Month banners (right side), I see how they're a problem. The thing is - I don't want to stretch the page DOWN any further. So I may need to think of another way to handle this......

As for those two 468x60 ads that stretch all the way over to the right - on top of the ad cubes - that I want to look at first. I'll copy/paste an example of the code I'm using and maybe you could edit that for the fix. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again!

No prob, glad to help.

Resolution is 1024x768 or 768x1024 depending on which way you hold it. Shooting for a 768 width is good for readability and layout design both iPad and PC, and permitting it to go as wide as the window goes (100%) is a good way to design, that way you meet the resolution of a typical window on a 17" monitor pc or compact laptop but permit the folks with wide screens to use more real estate if they have it.

I'll grab the code sections I mucked with and post this evening.

-adrian

adrian-s
10-12-11, 09:11 PM
ok, because i can't see your php and can only see the display portion of html, recognize that some of the data pasted here may be variable values in your code. it shouldn't be too hard to find, though.

for the contents section, here's the original html:

<span class="threadlastpost td"><a href="http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/?sort=lastpost&amp;order=asc" rel="nofollow">Last Post By</a></span> </div> </div>

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8"><div align="left"><script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-3614811330811661";
/* Forum Display Top */
google_ad_slot = "2353969913";
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
//--> </script> <script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script></div></td> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8"><div align="right"><script type="text/javascript">
ch_client = "Collaziano";
ch_type = "mpu";
ch_width = 468;
ch_height = 60;
ch_color_bg = "f3f6f8";
ch_color_border = "f3f6f8";
ch_color_title = "781b11";
ch_color_site_link = "781b11";
ch_color_text = "4f7291";
ch_non_contextual = 4;
ch_vertical ="premium";
ch_sid = "Cadillac ShowThread";
var ch_queries = new Array( );
var ch_selected=Math.floor((Math.random()*ch_queries.l ength));
if ( ch_selected < ch_queries.length ) {
ch_query = ch_queries[ch_selected];
}
</script> <script src="http://scripts.chitika.net/eminimalls/amm.js" type="text/javascript"> </script></div></td> </tr> </table>

<div class="threadbit"> <p class="nonthread"> <strong>There are no posts in this forum.</strong> </p> </div> </div>

and if you edit it to look like this:

<span class="threadlastpost td"><a href="http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/?sort=lastpost&amp;order=asc" rel="nofollow">Last Post By</a></span> </div> </div>

THIS IS THE NEW CODE------> <div class="threadbit">

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8"><div align="left"><script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-3614811330811661";
/* Forum Display Top */
google_ad_slot = "2353969913";
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
//--> </script> <script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script></div></td> <td bgcolor="#f3f6f8"><div align="right"><script type="text/javascript">
ch_client = "Collaziano";
ch_type = "mpu";
ch_width = 468;
ch_height = 60;
ch_color_bg = "f3f6f8";
ch_color_border = "f3f6f8";
ch_color_title = "781b11";
ch_color_site_link = "781b11";
ch_color_text = "4f7291";
ch_non_contextual = 4;
ch_vertical ="premium";
ch_sid = "Cadillac ShowThread";
var ch_queries = new Array( );
var ch_selected=Math.floor((Math.random()*ch_queries.l ength));
if ( ch_selected < ch_queries.length ) {
ch_query = ch_queries[ch_selected];
}
</script> <script src="http://scripts.chitika.net/eminimalls/amm.js" type="text/javascript"> </script></div></td> </tr> </table>

THIS IS THE NEW CODE-----> </div>

<div class="threadbit"> <p class="nonthread"> <strong>There are no posts in this forum.</strong> </p> </div> </div>

you'll see the important stuff is the addition of the div after the "last post by" area:

<div class="threadbit">

and then the closing div after the closing of the table

</div>

Let me know if you want details on the posting page in addition to the contents page.

-adrian

RippyPartsDept
10-13-11, 10:10 AM
fluid width is a key design element that I code into all my sites ... it just makes sense

plus I abhor horizontal scroll bars

Lord Cadillac
10-13-11, 01:43 PM
Okay. I just made some changes based on the code you gave me. Let me know if things appear to work properly now.

Thank you!

Sal C.

ok, because i can't see your php and can only see the display portion of html, recognize that some of the data pasted here may be variable values in your code. it shouldn't be too hard to find, though.

you'll see the important stuff is the addition of the div after the "last post by" area:

and then the closing div after the closing of the table

Let me know if you want details on the posting page in addition to the contents page.

-adrian

adrian-s
10-13-11, 08:56 PM
Okay. I just made some changes based on the code you gave me. Let me know if things appear to work properly now.

Thank you!

Sal C.

yep, it fixed that area.

the car of the month area still throws the page off. also, if you look at the very very top, madison ross media group automotive communities hot or not, etc, sticks over the edge of your page by some, it would be good to tighten that up as you fix the car of the month.

-adrian

Lord Cadillac
10-14-11, 10:18 AM
Thank you very much, Adrian! I'll get to all of the resizing as soon as I get home (I'm away at the moment). Do you see any of those "rogue ads" while viewing posts anywhere? Somebody once mentioned the 300x250 ad at the top was floating...

97EldoCoupe
10-17-11, 04:47 PM
I for one am very happy to pay the rates for membership that I do. I have no complaints about Sal's pricing at all. However, I have fallen behind on my ad payments and now it's time to step up and pay my dues.

Sal, please look for an email from me soon regarding payment.

Also I will be upgrading my membership again, hopefully permanently this time. I have my CNC turning center now and things are beginning to smoothen out somewhat.

I apologize Sal for falling behind and I thank you for all that you do, keeping CF up and running for us Cadillac enthusiasts. You are #1 and I know you didn't get there without a lot of hard work, sleepless nights and tireless efforts that often go unappreciated.

THANK YOU :D

Lord Cadillac
10-17-11, 06:33 PM
Thank you for the kind words! I do realize it's not always easy to keep on track with things. So being late or falling behind is no problem at all. :)

Otherwise - I still see the ads flying to the right on my iphone (when I don't use TapaTalk). Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just cached on the iphone or something?

I for one am very happy to pay the rates for membership that I do. I have no complaints about Sal's pricing at all. However, I have fallen behind on my ad payments and now it's time to step up and pay my dues.

Sal, please look for an email from me soon regarding payment.

Also I will be upgrading my membership again, hopefully permanently this time. I have my CNC turning center now and things are beginning to smoothen out somewhat.

I apologize Sal for falling behind and I thank you for all that you do, keeping CF up and running for us Cadillac enthusiasts. You are #1 and I know you didn't get there without a lot of hard work, sleepless nights and tireless efforts that often go unappreciated.

THANK YOU :D

adrian-s
10-19-11, 08:37 PM
I've been on travel a few days, will try to take a few minutes at the hotel tonight to provide some feedback.

-adrian

adrian-s
10-20-11, 12:27 AM
Ok, the car of the month still is pushing too wide.

There is one add that continues to pop up at the bottom of every page, it says related results on top, and ad by chitika on the right. Very annoying one, that's for sure.

The cadillacowners.com and autoprideconcepts graphics side by side also push too wide.

-adrian

Lord Cadillac
10-20-11, 03:58 AM
Hi Adrian,

Thank you. I haven't yet addressed the car of the month or the 728x90 leaderboard up top. I'll get to that as soon as everything else is taken care of - as those I have a better handle on code-wise. Are the two 468x60 ads messing with the width as well? Covering the cubes to the right, perhaps? Actually, you won't see those anymore unless you're viewing as a guest. The one you're seeing at the bottom of the page - it's a mobile ad. Correct? You won't see that for a few months either. :)

Ok, the car of the month still is pushing too wide.

There is one add that continues to pop up at the bottom of every page, it says related results on top, and ad by chitika on the right. Very annoying one, that's for sure.

The cadillacowners.com and autoprideconcepts graphics side by side also push too wide.

-adrian

adrian-s
10-20-11, 10:07 AM
Ok, tested from iPad and iPhone... When logged in, those ads don't show and things look better. When not logged in, the side by side ads don't stretch the page width, but they do overlay the verticle ads down the right side of the page. The floater chitika showed then as well, but wasn't a sizing problem.

-adrian

Lord Cadillac
10-20-11, 10:25 AM
Thank you again! I'll work on the 728x90 at the top and V-Series of the month images at my next opportunity.

adrian-s
10-20-11, 09:20 PM
Thank you again! I'll work on the 728x90 at the top and V-Series of the month images at my next opportunity.

No problem, glad to give back!