: Advice on Extended ONLINE warranties.

jv0621
10-10-11, 08:48 PM
Hey Guys

Quick question(s), hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction with this. My question(s) are:

1. Is buying an extended warranty for my V worth it? ( car has 90k miles ) if so Where and what kind ( as there are a lot of diff types of packages and options ) would I buy?

2. Has anyone been screwed out of a extended warranty? If so what all do i have to do to avoid being ripped off

ANy help would be awesome! :bouncy:

darkman
10-11-11, 07:28 AM
I would not buy an extended warranty from anyone but GM or a non-GM offered by a "brick and motar" GM dealer. There may well be some legitimate warranties out there, but most of them never honor their commitments.

Another option is to bank the money and add some to it from time to time. Chances are good that you would not spend it all. If that were not the case, these warranties would not exist.

GDPossehl
10-11-11, 08:28 AM
Another option is to bank the money and add some to it from time to time. Chances are good that you would not spend it all. If that were not the case, these warranties would not exist.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Warranty companies are betting that you give them more money than they actually pay out in repairs. That's how they stay in business. Fortunately for them there are enough [insert adjective here] people who pay into their system. There's really nothing on these cars that'll break you to have repaired short of throwing a rod or spinning a bearing in the engine which usually results from abuse.

Sure, rear ends and clutches and drive shafts may cost you $1000 to replace, but honestly if you can't afford $1--- to repair your car you shouldn't be driving a V.

Bottom line, create your own warranty fund. I know I had one ready before I even bought the car.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 05:09 PM
Even the good ones make you fight a little to get your claim paid.

Faber
10-12-11, 12:26 PM
I've heard them referred to as a bundle of exclusions held together by a thin veil of coverage....

JimmyH
10-12-11, 01:43 PM
some of them are that bad

alradco
10-12-11, 05:09 PM
Ask for a copy of the full contract. We just bought a used F350 and were offered an extended plan. There was a lot of language in the contract stating how larger tires, or various mods would void the contract. We passed. What's the point of paying for an extended plan just have them deny the claim later and still come out of pocket.

Peter

JDB
10-13-11, 09:25 AM
Agree with the others....Don't bother. With that high of miles, coverage is going to be a couple grand. Bank it.

jv0621
10-13-11, 03:30 PM
Awesome! thank you guys for all the help! V-trust fund will be open Tom = D