: 2011 BMW Alpina B7 - tried to play cool against my V

js615
10-10-11, 09:57 AM
I ran into one of these, admittedly very suave looking, hot rods on my way to work this morning. We pulled along side each other for a bit checking each other out, playing coy, niether of us wanting to make the first move. Besides, the roads were slightly wet from earlier morning drizzle.

He had some very cool wheels (still looking for them online - very deep painted white on the shell and lip and the face of the wheel was black), appeared lowered, and some unique body graphics along with a modified exhaust. No way of telling if he had any motor tweeks as well. My guess is the V still would have taken him. Regardless, I could buy two V's for the price of his, or have one V very well modified and a crap load of cash left over to buy 93 octane for a year.

That said - with the extra attention to appearance, this Bimmer looked very, very cool.

M5eater
10-10-11, 10:00 AM
The B7 is like a waterd-down AMG of the 7 series, motor tweaks are apart of the package. There's a lot of strengthening done to improve the power curve as well as making it tougher for actual track use. Essentially though, you're getting 760 power from a 750 for a bit less and a lot more performance options.

Houdini
10-10-11, 10:33 AM
Just got done looking at a used 2011 on ebay. They're still asking 99k. Wow. It does look nice though.

M5eater
10-10-11, 10:37 AM
Again though, this car is making <40HP less than the Twin Turbo V12 7 series--which MSRP's for 137K, and the alpina is 15K under that. 20k depreciation in 1 year is still HUGE.

js615
10-10-11, 10:44 AM
I guess if you've got the wherewithal to buy such a car... I'm thinking that for that kind of money there are much better performers out there.

M5eater
10-10-11, 10:54 AM
I guess if you've got the wherewithal to buy such a car... I'm thinking that for that kind of money there are much better performers out there.
I realize if there were ever an M7 the B7 is the closest you're going to get. However, the B7 isn't just about the performance, it's the shock of having a car that you could legitimately travel across country in and then take it for a few laps around laguna seca. A GTR or ZR1 are fantastic value for money in terms of performance, but you wouldn't want to drive one every day.

thebigjimsho
10-10-11, 11:02 AM
I was never into large sedans that were fast like that. If I'm driving a land barge, I want it focused more on luxury and comfort.

Mystical_Ice
10-11-11, 02:23 AM
I realize if there were ever an M7 the B7 is the closest you're going to get. However, the B7 isn't just about the performance, it's the shock of having a car that you could legitimately travel across country in and then take it for a few laps around laguna seca. A GTR or ZR1 are fantastic value for money in terms of performance, but you wouldn't want to drive one every day.

I've driven both daily, and don't see anything wrong with either other than gas consumption

M5eater
10-11-11, 07:56 AM
I've driven both daily, and don't see anything wrong with either other than gas consumption
You're sort of comparing totally opposite ends of the autmotive spectrum. I'm sure they are fine to drive for people like us. To compare the Lawn-chairs a ZR1 has to the 20-way heated/ventilated seats in a 7 series however, is silly. If luxury is about excess, I really can't imagine there being any argument comparing either a GTR or ZR1 favoriably against the interior or comfort of a B7.

Mystical_Ice
10-11-11, 11:28 AM
You're sort of comparing totally opposite ends of the autmotive spectrum. I'm sure they are fine to drive for people like us. To compare the Lawn-chairs a ZR1 has to the 20-way heated/ventilated seats in a 7 series however, is silly. If luxury is about excess, I really can't imagine there being any argument comparing either a GTR or ZR1 favoriably against the interior or comfort of a B7.
I'm not doing any comparisons ;) I'm just responding to your quote:

A GTR or ZR1 are fantastic value for money in terms of performance, but you wouldn't want to drive one every day.

M5eater
10-11-11, 12:28 PM
I'm not doing any comparisons ;) I'm just responding to your quote:

gotcha, I should have worded it better