: Hate to say it but I am just about over it... build quality is finally getting to me.

commander112
10-10-11, 10:38 AM
I have had my V for a couple of years now and have babied it. It has been reliable but the interior build quality is finally getting to me. I still get noises after a bunch of fixes from the sunroof trim ring and any time the body twists the interior plastics start talking to me. Now the drivers seat is squeeking up a storm. The dealer has a fix kit that is supposed to take care of the issue on order but, of course, it is on back order. I love the car but hate the noises. My Dodge pickup with twice the miles makes none of the noises. I may have to move on from this car. Are the newer ones any better?

e6t
10-10-11, 11:12 AM
nope.

MrMaschine
10-10-11, 11:52 AM
GM interiors SUCK. I battled my seat issues for a while and my friend who owned my car prior couldnt take it which is why he transfer his lease to me

I think us owners with Ultraview should see if D3 can do some sort of group buy on their Chassis Brace kit. I honestly think this will solve most of the issues we have since it will eliminate the unibody flex.

Anyone interested or can someone contact them or post a poll on the board?

M5eater
10-10-11, 11:58 AM
I know exactly what you mean OP. I made the mistake of thinking I could expect M5/RS6 quality from a car that's 30-40K cheaper. Its just not going to happen. Right now I'm still trying to forget a bunch of things and enjoy the car. The only thing that's held me back so far is I know from experience that on the other side of the camp, there are a lot worse problems than some build-quality issues.

thebigjimsho
10-10-11, 11:59 AM
I honestly have no clue why some are noisy and some are whisper quiet. I've taken mine to drag strips, road courses, autocrosses and the occasional mountain road and I have zero noises. I don't know what to say...

M5eater
10-10-11, 12:02 PM
I honestly have no clue why some are noisy and some are whisper quiet. I've taken mine to drag strips, road courses, autocrosses and the occasional mountain road and I have zero noises. I don't know what to say...

It's apart of the price jim. There's such unparalled consistancy from the germans in this respect it really makes the V2 look like chump change. Did I mention my car left the factory with visable paint bubbles in at least 3 places? That's totally unacceptable, more so on a paint that's impossible to repair. I stress impossible. It will never look right again after what I'm going through, and it only has 5K miles on it. There's a good reason BMW and Audi still produce all M/RS cars seperate from their standard base car-lines, and it shows.

Speedtrapped
10-10-11, 12:06 PM
that sucks, no noises as of yet, but I recitfied any future noise with a really loud exhaust.

Club Malibu
10-10-11, 01:15 PM
2010. No sun roof. 10K miles. Zero noises.

Speedtrapped
10-10-11, 01:26 PM
I know exactly what you mean OP. I made the mistake of thinking I could expect M5/RS6 quality from a car that's 30-40K cheaper. Its just not going to happen. Right now I'm still trying to forget a bunch of things and enjoy the car. The only thing that's held me back so far is I know from experience that on the other side of the camp, there are a lot worse problems than some build-quality issues.
I am NOT starting, but being that i have owned my RS6 for 2 years, the seats squeek like a mouse stuck in a glue trap. Not to mention the seat rocks a little, too much TQ....;)

M5eater
10-10-11, 01:49 PM
I am NOT starting, but being that i have owned my RS6 for 2 years, the seats squeek like a mouse stuck in a glue trap. Not to mention the seat rocks a little, too much TQ....;)
Audi Merc and BMW all have their problems, no car is problem free, and when stuff does go wrong, it gets expensive, quick. It simply isn't on the scale that the CTS is I suppose is what I'm saying. It would be one thing if materials and styling were up to par with the germans, but it's not. It's cheaper *and* it's noticeable, bad combination imo. If there were a way to transplant the CTS's powertrain into the interior/build quality/styling of a RS6 M5 or E63. I'd pay $100K for that car.

JimmyH
10-10-11, 02:12 PM
get a louder exhaust :D

Kirk3
10-10-11, 02:26 PM
get a louder exhaust :D

Windows down, Kooks headers, Corsa Sport... I only hear wonderful noises coming from my car.

JimmyH
10-10-11, 02:31 PM
:word:

and if that doesn't work, or I am stuck in traffic, I just turn up the radio.

smackdownCTSV
10-10-11, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I took mine in for the seat squeak. I was told they are direct shipped which takes 1-2 weeks.

neuronbob
10-10-11, 02:49 PM
Sorry to read about these issues. I'm just a whisper shy of 30k miles and no consistent noises. The most noise comes from my son's booster seat. I don't understand the lack of consistency in quality with these cars. If mine were creaking like a pirate ship already, I'd be jumping ship and moving on. So far, no need to do so. :)

haterinc
10-10-11, 06:18 PM
i hate the squeaky console if you so much as touch it... let alone lean on it

RapidRob
10-10-11, 07:00 PM
Sorry to read about these issues. I'm just a whisper shy of 30k miles and no consistent noises. The most noise comes from my son's booster seat. I don't understand the lack of consistency in quality with these cars. If mine were creaking like a pirate ship already, I'd be jumping ship and moving on. So far, no need to do so. :)

X2 Bob, AND I have a sun-roof! Not as many miles as you, but pushing 19K miles and the car is still tight.

Rob

Low Rider
10-10-11, 07:46 PM
5K miles on my lowered VCoupe and zero noise or quality issues.....except for the KPE Coupe exhaust which sounds awesome....

chopmeat
10-10-11, 10:29 PM
I have seen many complain about everything from wheels to sun roof on here!
I don't have 1 problem and have 18k on her.
Lowered, Lingenfelter, Vette Docs, Headers...I don't get it? It's awesome...

stabie
10-10-11, 11:13 PM
I was happy enough with my 08 CTS sedan that I had no qualms about trading for the Vagon. The Vagon is of course much more powerful and sure footed and just as quiet (except for more motor noise). I had a tiny bit of wind noise in my 08, which the dealer had a TSB for that corrected the issue. Considering it was a brand new model in 08, I was extremely pleased. The only feature I really thought was missing in 08 was bluetooth, which was corrected in 09. I am often amazed at how unforgiving people are with machines as complex as a car.

sfvagon
10-11-11, 12:52 AM
Oh man, if only I'd seen this post before I posted this one (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/237840-2012-v-wagon-dd-madness.html#post2686471) - only a few hundred miles on so far, but I've got the sunroof, and you've got me terrified ;)

In all seriousness though, my BMW 3 had a constantly creaking/groaning dash, failed bearings, whistling side mirrors, sticking door handles, clicking seat belt harnesses, and it emanated a squeaking and whining when turning left at parking lot speeds. The headlights vibrated furiously when driving over rough surfaces, and the airbag detector in the passenger seat failed. Plastic bits on the seat rails broke off, and the interior plastic was flaking off on the door handles and dash. The flimsy cupholder was constantly broken, the replacement costing $600 (I declined).

... and you know what -- I f-in LOVE that car, refused to trade it in, and I still have it. Thankfully the dealer worked with me on almost everything under warranty (having the TSBs helped) ... well everything except those bloody cupholders.

I hope it will not be a similar story with the V Wagon - but so long as the dealer is willing to work with me quickly on any issues under my warranty, I'm going to concentrate on the reason I bought it in the first place - the way it drives and how it brings a crazy grin to my face :)

Prof
10-11-11, 12:16 PM
46k and no clicks, squeeks, groans or leaks from the sunroof or anything else...I have to feel that this does go to the consistency issue. I love the V2, it's a daily driver while my garage queen sits...and to be truthful, the SRT 10 sits much more since I have had the CTS V...happy I got a great one...I wish we could generate build date, time and sequence...we might be able to do some investigative work that would give some glimpses into quality issue root causes at GM...

smackdownCTSV
10-11-11, 12:32 PM
Sort of like a Monday or a Friday car? Mine has a build date of Monday if that matters. It had all the squeak TSB's done; sunroof, seats (still waiting on plastic clips!), and wheel click (@ 12k). It will be 2 years old in 2 weeks.

Prof
10-11-11, 12:42 PM
Yes, that would be possible if we had the data. But what I really want to happen is to have accountability down to individuals. What ever happened to the craftsmen that wanted their name attached to a product? Accountability is lacking...but if we could trace 60% of the noisy sunroofs to a specific shift/installer...then it would be possible to correct the situation...but I bet that the unions would oppose that approach.

Root cause analysis is required in ISO complaint resolution...does anyone know if GM is an ISO organization?

Delta
10-11-11, 01:52 PM
my wife had a CTS4 with a sunroof and it drove me absoutely insane. Took it to the dealer a few times, but those guys did everything they possibly could, even replaced the frame twice. It's just a bad design and there is nothing they can do about it. it needs te be completely redone. so when i bought my V2, i opted to leave that option out. SO glad i did. Mine doesnt make any noise.

The rattling and squeaking in the sunroof of my wife's finally got so bad that i just traded hers for an escalade. We couldnt take it anymore

JimmyH
10-11-11, 02:04 PM
Oh man, if only I'd seen this post before I posted this one (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/237840-2012-v-wagon-dd-madness.html#post2686471) - only a few hundred miles on so far, but I've got the sunroof, and you've got me terrified ;)

In all seriousness though, my BMW 3 had a constantly creaking/groaning dash, failed bearings, whistling side mirrors, sticking door handles, clicking seat belt harnesses, and it emanated a squeaking and whining when turning left at parking lot speeds. The headlights vibrated furiously when driving over rough surfaces, and the airbag detector in the passenger seat failed. Plastic bits on the seat rails broke off, and the interior plastic was flaking off on the door handles and dash. The flimsy cupholder was constantly broken, the replacement costing $600 (I declined).

... and you know what -- I f-in LOVE that car, refused to trade it in, and I still have it. Thankfully the dealer worked with me on almost everything under warranty (having the TSBs helped) ... well everything except those bloody cupholders.

I hope it will not be a similar story with the V Wagon - but so long as the dealer is willing to work with me quickly on any issues under my warranty, I'm going to concentrate on the reason I bought it in the first place - the way it drives and how it brings a crazy grin to my face :)

Lousy german cupholders are simply one of those things that are a part of life you must accept.

The Germans don't, and never will understand Big Gulps and Starbucks.

M5eater
10-11-11, 02:17 PM
Lousy german cupholders are simply one of those things that are a part of life you must accept.

Amen. They're all crapy, and they're all an afterthought design because--the rest of the world doesn't drink and drive like we do. The A6 has 4 cup-holders, they're all the stupid pop-out design and all but 1(the one I replaced..) are broken. Even the E-trash knock-offs cost $60-100.

JimmyH
10-11-11, 02:22 PM
"because they get in the way of the shifter"
which is their incorrect excuse. I added a cupholder to my Jetta, which I mounted between the shifter and the handbrake, and it interfered with neither.
Apparently, they don't care, though, that the dash mounted cupholders interfere with both the radio and hvac, which people are fiddling with at 80 mph.

NOLA-ZR1
10-11-11, 02:56 PM
My old Audi S6 had some quirks but the workmanship and paint quality were superb. My V's exterior color matching is awful. Rusty rotors, interior issues, etc. are not exceptable in a $70K vehicle. Not to mention the crappy dealer.

Sorry about the rant, performance and features are great, just not happy about the rest. Hope everyone has a better experience with their V...

M5eater
10-11-11, 03:13 PM
My old Audi S6 had some quirks but the workmanship and paint quality were superb. My V's exterior color matching is awful. Rusty rotors, interior issues, etc. are not exceptable in a $70K vehicle. Not to mention the crappy dealer.

Sorry about the rant, performance and features are great, just not happy about the rest. Hope everyone has a better experience with their V...
painted interior trim is something I've never been fond off in Audi's. it looks nice new, but after a few years, the nicks and scratches make it look like some beat-up geo, and since the plastics are not coated, the dye will wipe off with anything but water too. Did I mention it's impossible to remove Audi Trim without breaking stuff? That's fun.

embassured
10-12-11, 12:22 AM
So, after having 23 different cars since I was 21 (now 43) and owned everything from an R350, 2 S-Type Rs, 2 C5s, 2 GS-430s, 2 SHOs, 2 LR Discos, an STS, a V1, a J-30, etc., I gotta say every brand has had their challenges and quirks. The V2 has been an equal of the best cars in the stable to date, which is not a comment I could make about the V1.

In short, I've not experienced (to date) the "perfect" car/ownership experience and I've grown accustomed that there are trade-offs to each decision. Furthermore, I have not found any complete satisfaction/bliss relative to the increased dollars spent for an automobile - other than heightened expectations. For me, the V2 (at 25K on the odometer) represents an excellent overall vale.

The short story is that every car/brand I've owned has had its respective challenges and joys. Maybe I've been fortunate with the V2 but I can't think of another car I would own based on the price paid.

I always believed the "grass was greener" with another brand but I've come to accept that it's simply a different shade of green.

Good luck,
Eric

mberisha
10-12-11, 04:04 AM

Tell me about it...my E30 doesn't have cupholders....arghhhhhh!

thebigjimsho
10-12-11, 02:44 PM
Tell me about it...my E30 doesn't have cupholders....arghhhhhh!Well, all you do is drive the 'Ring, so...

mberisha
10-12-11, 05:24 PM
Well, all you do is drive the 'Ring, so...

Good point....I guess it could be worse.....:flame:

thunder gray
10-12-11, 07:22 PM
30,000 miles on my 09 so far interior noise not a problem, but the exterior paint seems to be far to eazy to chip.

M5eater
10-12-11, 07:54 PM
30,000 miles on my 09 so far interior noise not a problem, but the exterior paint seems to be far to eazy to chip.

That's one thing we can't blame Cadillac for-- except maybe the orange peel--everyone's having adhesion problems with the water-based paint. Imagine that on your nice $100K Porsche or similar..

Club Malibu
10-13-11, 12:14 AM
2010. No sun roof. 10K miles. Zero noises.

Jinxed myself. The wheel clicking came back last night along (this is totally new to the forum), my steering wheel squeeks. My freakin' steering wheel squeeks when I turn it! WTF????? Kinda has the same sound when you take a McDonald's straw and push it in and out of the cup lid through the straw hole.

Gonna have that addressed at next oil change unless it magically fixes itself.

thebigjimsho
10-13-11, 12:49 PM
lube.

Wireboltman
10-14-11, 02:22 AM

I have no interior noise whatsoever. Like riding in a tomb, except for a little exhaust noise, but mine's not stock-

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 12:28 PM
Yeah, it's too quiet inside. I had my Looks headers installed and it is still quiet inside. People would keep telling me how good my exhaust sounded but I didn't hear it. Someone had to record me on the road course and play it back for me to finally hear it roar.

haterinc
10-14-11, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it's too quiet inside. I had my Looks headers installed and it is still quiet inside. People would keep telling me how good my exhaust sounded but I didn't hear it. Someone had to record me on the road course and play it back for me to finally hear it roar.

So those Looks headers... they shiney? In a frame? Eye liner? Lip stick?

thebigjimsho
10-14-11, 10:43 PM
So those Looks headers... they shiney? In a frame? Eye liner? Lip stick?Tis what I get for poasting mobilly...