: 1/4 mile rear cradle "cracking" sound

Nutz
10-08-11, 05:05 AM
I left off the line tonight at a local track and found unexpected wheelhop from an overzealous DR launch on fresh VHT, ok, so I lifted and shifted into 2nd, then heard a SHARP loud "crack" sound from my rear cradle area about 10' after 2nd gear rollout that was not far from the same sound of V1 diff failure, much like an old Mopar Dana slamming the pinion snubber against the floorpan, almost like the suspension bound up and sharply released at speed.

I went out of the groove to be safe and coasted to the end of the track. All seems fine now but curious what the sound was. Most of my friends were devastated as I was leading against a GTR. So what, I played it safe and gave up the match. What is this sound? Tried search, remember a small discussion on this.

newcadman
10-08-11, 08:46 AM
I left off the line tonight at a local track and found unexpected wheelhop from an overzealous DR launch on fresh VHT, ok, so I lifted and shifted into 2nd, then heard a SHARP loud "crack" sound from my rear cradle area about 10' after 2nd gear rollout that was not far from the same sound of V1 diff failure, much like an old Mopar Dana slamming the pinion snubber against the floorpan, almost like the suspension bound up and sharply released at speed.

I went out of the groove to be safe and coasted to the end of the track. All seems fine now but curious what the sound was. Most of my friends were devastated as I was leading against a GTR. So what, I played it safe and gave up the match. What is this sound? Tried search, remember a small discussion on this.

Might want to ask member " sybersport ". If memory serves, I believe he experienced similar symptoms to what you're describing.

550HP STSV
10-09-11, 09:35 PM
damn jim. that was a bad night at norwalk for supercharged V Series sedans.