: Shouldn't have joked about buying new tires

mpouls1
10-08-11, 01:40 AM
Couple of days ago 1sensei had posted his stock track times which usurped me. I jokingly mentioned I needed to buy some new PS2's (which I do) and take my car back to the track. I've been trying to make it till next year. Well as luck/fate/karma would have it I was heading down bypass 20 at 70mph today when the front driver tire blew. Had it towed to the dealership and was quoted price with 1-2 day shipping. I then remembered I have my snow tires sitting around and could just put those on and wait till next year. I've seen other threads in the past on prices and brands but the search function takes forever for me to get the right search functions and sort through the threads. I am looking to stay with stock sizes. I appreciate any advice, feedback.

1. Dealer quote for PS2's:

front 408 ea. (tire rack 396)
rear 473 ea. (tire rack 484)
mount and balance $95

I've heard a couple members have good reviews on Hankook. Are they the Ventus V12 evoK110? Tire rack has front for $165ea. and rear for $233ea. Considerable savings. But then I would only have them on for maybe 2 months max(?).

Or:

2. Hold off till next year and put on my stock size pirelli soto's, but then I'm worried about premature wear. This will be my 3rd winter with them.

My question is would it be ok driving around with snow tires for that long, or just buy some new one's and change them out
in 2 months as I don't have a separate set of rims. If the hankooks are pretty comparable I may just buy them, but then I really don't want to go back to the dealer again, and again. They put a scratch on my driver side rear caliper doing the tie rod recall, ugh and the less trips to the dealer the better IMHO. Tire's Plus scares me just as much.

Thanks,
Michael

thebigjimsho
10-08-11, 04:46 PM
I switched to Hankooks as an experiment since a few here loved them on their V. My PS2s were worn on the front(on my 2nd set of rears) and I saw the PSS were out, but not in our sizes.

The Hankooks are great for the price. What they don't do well is launch hard off the line. What they do well, but not as well as the PS2s: Max dry grip and communication in turning. They are about on par with the PS2s for noise, comfort and wet grip. What they do amazingly well is cut through standing water.

Personally, though, the Pilot Super Sports are being reviewed as markedly better than the PS2 in almost every way. AND for a cheaper price AND they'll have a 30,000 mile warranty. From everyone I'm hearing they should be available in the spring for the V. So, if I were you, I'd keep the winters on and wait. BUT, the Hankooks are so cheap it won't cost you much to get now and replace later...

mpouls1
10-08-11, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the information. Your review on the Hankooks was just what I was looking for. Shows that this forum is not all bad with the back and forth banter and is still an excellent resource. I was not aware of the Super Sports and I'm going to go with your suggestion and wait. Much appreciated. Thanks.

M5eater
10-08-11, 09:37 PM
I switched to Hankooks as an experiment since a few here loved them on their V. My PS2s were worn on the front(on my 2nd set of rears) and I saw the PSS were out, but not in our sizes.

The Hankooks are great for the price. What they don't do well is launch hard off the line. What they do well, but not as well as the PS2s: Max dry grip and communication in turning. They are about on par with the PS2s for noise, comfort and wet grip. What they do amazingly well is cut through standing water.

Personally, though, the Pilot Super Sports are being reviewed as markedly better than the PS2 in almost every way. AND for a cheaper price AND they'll have a 30,000 mile warranty. From everyone I'm hearing they should be available in the spring for the V. So, if I were you, I'd keep the winters on and wait. BUT, the Hankooks are so cheap it won't cost you much to get now and replace later...
fantastic, thanks for the heads-up.

neuronbob
10-09-11, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the head's up on the Pilot Super Sports, TBJS. My fronts are just about done (rears not, WTF???) and I'm just trying to make it for another month until I can switch to my stockers with Sottozeros.

mpouls1
10-10-11, 08:44 PM
To add insult to injury, I just had my sotto's installed today and there is a huge bulge on the sidewall of the front passenger tire. Got two new front's on order...

Torxila
10-11-11, 12:38 PM
Vredetein Ultrac Sessanta excellent reviews and very reasonable. Had them on previous vehicles.

255/40ZR19 $222.00
295/30ZR19 $246.00
295/35ZR19 $227.00

www.performanceplustire.com

George

thebigjimsho
10-11-11, 04:40 PM
Unless someone mounted one side backwards, I thought I saw they made them L and R now...

mpouls1
10-12-11, 12:46 PM
I'm going with new Blizzaks on front, keeping the Pirelli's on back. Sottos are on back order till sometime late Nov. Best of both worlds I suppose...