Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  White Whale 
#1 ·
Hello all ! !
New guy on the block.
Great site.
I am getting a 1970 Couple DeVille with 70,000 miles.
The oil pan has a window from something leaving the inside of the engine at a high rate of speed.
That said, I am looking for info on which engines would bolt in to run as I rebuild the stock engine.
I know the 500 will work, but what else will bolt in with minimal headaches and fabrication?
Bolting in a small or big block chevy first came to mind, but I think I would like to keep the 472.
Thanks for any and all info.

Mike

#2 ·
The 368, 425, 472 and 500's are all direct bolt-ins.....everything else will require mods. Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac all used the same transmission bolt pattern. Anything else will require a different transmission or an adapter (chevy trannys didn't have the same tailshaft either so if you changed the trans, you'd also have to have a driveshaft made or find one the right length.....not real likely). Your best bet would be to find another big block Caddy to drop in.
The heads on a '70 engine ("950" castings) are highly sought pieces.....don't let them get away.

#3 ·
Can I get a year and body type range to look for?
I had a '68 ragtop with a later 500 in it, but never got to the point of being a Caddy expert.
Loved that monster.
Thanks for the tip on the heads.
Why so special, "closed" chambers, good flow numbers?
Thanks,
Mike

#4 ·
If you're anywhere near me, in N. California, I've got a good strong running 472 in a 72 Eldo I'll let go for cheap...too many projects going on right now!

#5 ·
White Whale said:
Can I get a year and body type range to look for?
I had a '68 ragtop with a later 500 in it, but never got to the point of being a Caddy expert.
Loved that monster.
Thanks for the tip on the heads.
Why so special, "closed" chambers, good flow numbers?
Thanks,
Mike
Closed chambers, "no-smog" and '70 was the only year the "950's" were offered.
472's were used in all cars in '68 & '69.....in Devilles up to (and including) '74....500's in all Eldorados from '70-76 and in '75 and '76 Devilles. The 425 was used in all Cads (except Sevilles) from '77-'79 and the 368 was used in '80.

#6 ·
That's right...I keep forgetting...Mine's a 500, being in an Eldo...

#8 ·
Theres more than just swapping the engine too. Your rear axle ratio is 2.93:1 and the car is 4650 lbs..... Most engines are going to have a difficult time with getting the car rolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.