: Want to hardwire radar detector

greyghost04
10-06-11, 11:02 AM
I'll be picking up my 2012 SRX in a couple of weeks. I'm already looking at the rear view mirror module to hard wire a radar detector. Everytime I get a new Caddy this job gets harder and harder. I killed a battery on all 3 of my CTS's just connecting to any hot lead (something to remember, you can't just connect it to any hot lead). Has anyone done a hard wire yet in their SRX?

allgm
10-06-11, 06:17 PM
I hardwired mine to the fuse panel in the console. It is on the passenger side behind the fake vent cover close to the floor. It has been hooked up for over 6 months no prpblems. It was easy to hide the wire .

stevec5375
10-06-11, 06:49 PM
There's a nice fellow on here that goes by "The Captain" that might be able to help you out.

I have a question regarding radar detectors in general. I understand the latest radar gun are laser based. If that is true than I would imagine it puts out a tiny thin line of light that doesn't spread out like radar. I'm curious how a radar detector can pick up a laser at all. It would seem that the laser would have to virtually strike the radar detector before it would see it. At that point, it's too late.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm driving the speed limit these days so I don't own one and haven't done my homework. :) Thanks kindly.

TheCaptain
10-06-11, 08:19 PM
Steve is right! I hardwired mine into an engine-run hot in the harness in the overhead light/homelink console. Easy as pie with a few modified (for how thin the harness slots are) wedge inserts. I hid all the extra wiring up in that console as well, so only about 6 cm of wire hangs out to the detector; of which is right beside the rear view mirror.

And yea Steve, a radar detector cannot detect laser, so you must invest in a laser/radar detector. It just picks up the band of radiation that the police laser guns use.
And like any radar detector, it doesn't tell you where cops are, it just tells you when they use their radar/laser guns. If you're the only car on the road, or running out front, guess who they shoot first? :D

stevec5375
10-06-11, 09:03 PM
Steve is right! I hardwired mine into an engine-run hot in the harness in the overhead light/homelink console. Easy as pie with a few modified (for how thin the harness slots are) wedge inserts. I hid all the extra wiring up in that console as well, so only about 6 cm of wire hangs out to the detector; of which is right beside the rear view mirror.

And yea Steve, a radar detector cannot detect laser, so you must invest in a laser/radar detector. It just picks up the band of radiation that the police laser guns use.
And like any radar detector, it doesn't tell you where cops are, it just tells you when they use their radar/laser guns. If you're the only car on the road, or running out front, guess who they shoot first? :D

Hmmm... Well... I just find it easier to drive the speed limit and have no worries. What's the hurry? There's usually just a red light waiting up ahead anyway. ;)

jperaino
10-06-11, 09:06 PM
My 2012 SRX has my Valentine One wired to the overhead light/homelink console.

TheCaptain
10-06-11, 10:08 PM
Yea, the Val One is the only detector that gives a general direction. I just tell by how strong the signal is, and how long it lasts as to how close and what direction they are at.
My amazing Driver STi hasn't let me down yet, and paid for itself about ten times! The Driver STi is invisible to detector-detectors, and i live next to and travel to a province that doesn't like detectors. I've used it for three years effectively! :D

greyghost04
10-07-11, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the help. BTW, when your laser detector goes off, it's just telling you you are about to get a ticket, if you were speeding.

TheCaptain
10-07-11, 11:50 AM
Unless there is lots of traffic, and they are shooting it first, or traffic in front and behind.
My Driver STi can let me know up to 20 km (highway) away, and has. :D

smiley47
10-07-11, 07:49 PM
At 400 feet away from the target, the laser beam is 18"-22" wide. So if you get a laser signal, it's probably bouncing off your grill, which is their favorite target since hitting the windshield gives erroneous readings. In my neck of the woods, laser is seldom used since the officer must have an unobstructed view of the target which means they stand outside the cruiser or shoot from their motorcycle seat. Sometimes you'll get random laser alarms caused by surveying equipment in construction zones. Go slow there anyway.
Good info at www.1stradardetectors.com

stevec5375
10-07-11, 07:51 PM
What happens if the laser happens to hit the driver in the eyes?

greyghost04
10-08-11, 01:03 AM
My 2012 SRX has my Valentine One wired to the overhead light/homelink console.

Was it hard to get that console cover off? I think once it's off it must be easy to find the right connection. Was it?
thx

allgm
10-08-11, 10:18 AM
The cover has two clips both at the front top & bottom . I put my finger under cover at the front pull straight out & slide foward.. There are two extensions at the back that slide under console cover. There are two bright yellow fuses I used the one closest to the front. Marked APO-CNSL 20 AMP. I used a inline to the Decector. You can see in the picture I broke one of the tabs on the cover.

greyghost04
10-08-11, 12:33 PM
Delores,
You are super!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

jperaino
10-08-11, 09:48 PM
Yes thats exactly it. Once the cover is off the wqiring is simple.

tomm
10-09-11, 11:13 PM
Get a simple add a circuit... See attached picture. If you cant get one locally I can get you one for $4 + $2 shipping. It will make the install much easier and it will add a separate breaker for your detector.

JimmyH
10-10-11, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the help. BTW, when your laser detector goes off, it's just telling you you are about to get a ticket, if you were speeding.

:yeah:

greyghost04
10-15-11, 11:40 PM
Get a simple add a circuit... See attached picture. If you cant get one locally I can get you one for $4 + $2 shipping. It will make the install much easier and it will add a separate breaker for your detector.

Tom,
Thanks for the tip.

11RavenBlack
10-18-11, 01:38 PM
Delores,
You are super!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Delores' photo is of the instrument panel fuse block, not the overhead light/homelink console.

:pow-mia: Never Forget

Greg Franklin
11-21-11, 06:11 PM
Steve is right! I hardwired mine into an engine-run hot in the harness in the overhead light/homelink console.
:D
Which pins/wire connector slots did you use?? Thanks