: distributor question

quins90lac
10-06-11, 02:41 AM
where is the top dead center on a 4.5 distributor. i got to wires figured out but i think i jumped a few teeth in one detection or another so im going to put it at TDC and go from there. i have a FSM but all it say is position the rotor between the #1 &#8. if this don't work it going to the mechanic to figure out whats wrong.

ehall
10-06-11, 09:41 AM
TDC refers to the #1 cylinder being at the top of the compression stroke

Not sure I understand exactly what you're asking

quins90lac
10-06-11, 02:25 PM
like you looking down at the top of the distributor with out the cap on where dose the rotor need to point for TDC on the distributor.

ehall
10-06-11, 09:49 PM
On mine, the square block for the coil wires on the side of the distributor cap points between the throttle body and the EGR

http://www.eric-a-hall.com/gallery/albums/cadillac-4-9-swap/4_9_TBI_Installed.sized.jpg

quins90lac
10-06-11, 11:22 PM
im talking about in the procedure to reset TDC if its lost . in the FSM its page 6d4-5 section D of the procedure.

daniel58
10-07-11, 03:11 AM
With the harmonic balancer at the TDC mark the rotor should point to #1 in the distributor cap. It will turn a bit when you install the distributor so you have to allow for that so its pointing to #1 when seated.

dennis93coupe
10-07-11, 12:26 PM
Here's what I would do...
1. Remove #1 spark plug
2. Place your finger over #1 spark plug hole and turn crankshaft in the correct rotation slowly until compression is felt. (this will indicate if you are on the compression stroke for #1)
3. Align timing mark on pulley to ")" on engine timing indicator.
4. Turn rotor to point between #1 and #8 location on you distributor cap.
5. If you can't get the rotor to align between #1 and #8 and drop in, pull the distributor out and turn the oil pump shaft about 10-15 degrees. Distributor should drop in and rotor should point close to #1.