: Air Bag Recall... Spoke with Dealer... ??

SevillianSTS
10-06-11, 02:29 AM
2007 CTS-V 73k miles

Got my letter in the mail about the passenger seat air-bag sensor.
Letter says not to go to dealer unless "service air bag" message is displayed.

Dealer said that the part they put in is exact same part that is already in there.

Bought my car a year ago as a corporate leased car, 67k in 3 years = highway miles. I doubt the passenger seat has seen much use.

Think I should have them replace it anyways ? I've read on here about seats getting creases from the dealer doing the work...
I don't understand why they wouldn't use an upgraded part to permanently fix the problem.

Many of you on here actually have problems with this sensor ?

Any feedback ?

Thanks
Brandon

Houdini
10-06-11, 08:09 AM
Hey Brandon what's up? I got two letters on this from Cadillac. The first just notified me of the problem and said they would be sending another letter when I should bring it in for replacement. The second letter finally came before I sold the V and I brought it in to get it replaced. I believe the paperwork said they replaced the entire bottom seat cushion that contains the airbag sensor mat. It may indeed be the same part number and maybe they just did something different with the wiring inside. Mine was perfectly fine when they replaced it (no problems) but apparently it had potential for failure. They did a pretty good job putting the leather back on the cushion. It's usually a good idea to just get the recalls done but make sure they take care with your leather. Maybe take some before pics and mention your concerns to them about that before you hand them the keys.

JDB
10-06-11, 08:09 AM
I had mine replaced a few months ago under CPO.

carpooler
10-06-11, 08:31 AM
I had mine in for some warranty bushing work and they replaced it at the time...I had no issues prior or since.

lollygagger8
10-06-11, 10:49 AM
Ruh Roh Shaggy!

rand49er
10-06-11, 02:51 PM
Yup, got my letter the other day. From the experiences above, sounds like GM will replace this if you go in and even if you haven't had the symptoms described (i.e. illuminated AIR BAG indicator and a SERVICE AIR BAG message in the DIC). Not sure what the risk is if get no warnings and don't get it fixed. Nice to be alerted nonetheless.

On a side note, heard Audi had a recall today related to fuel injectors, and wasn't Honda having one from a week or so ago? Forest Gump was right. Sh!t happens.

Slithering_Joe
10-06-11, 04:16 PM
Got my letter yesterday. I'm debating whether to take it in since something always happens to the car when service is done to it. I haven't seen a SRS fault yet. GM is giving a 10 year/120,000 mile coverage on this part. (10/120,000 since the in-service date.)