: Trans longevity

ChiTDI
10-29-04, 01:52 PM
My '86 Brougham has started to show slippage. I had it rebuilt about 45000 miles ago, and have had Mobil 1 ATF changes every 15k!
What's up?? :madtalkin

ocjmakaveli
10-29-04, 02:21 PM
i wonder if someone can correct me on this but in my 8 years experience with cars i've noticed cars that have frequent trans oil changes have more failures than cars that never have an oil change.

i've had cars and vans with excess of 150,000 mile with no trans problem and never an oil change but i've had other cars which get regular oil changes start failing with slippage or hard shifting with oil changes at every 30,000 miles.

i really don't know how trans work and if my luck is just bad but it really has been this way my dad has a 90 voyager with 175,000 miles and NO trans oil changes and it shifts perfectly no slipping or nothing.

i wonder why though i had an 86 chrysler(186,000) and never changed the oil for the trans and it worked fine too until my dad crashed it lol

trans are just wierd and only way to ensure a good one is to have a good warranty i remember a few years ago my mom went through 4 transmissions in 2 years with a Ford taurus and got it fixed in 3 different shops luckily 3 of the times it had warranty.

might've been the design of it too or bad mechanics

evilrussian
10-29-04, 06:57 PM
I've had mine rebuilt three times already. First, by the original owner around 30K miles (I found that out by the markings inside the bell housing) Second, around 80K due to unknown reasons, maybe because once it's rebuilt it's never the same (low quality parts, poor craftsmanship?) Third, is when i drooped chev 350 in it and didn't get a proper TV (throttle valve) cable bracket for it. Latter is very important meaning that it will directly affect the life of your tranny.
Anyways, after getting a bracket that does the job and installing a shift kit I hope my tranny holds up a little better this time, although there are myriad of parts I'm planning to replace with some aftermarket pieces to get to the specs I want, i.e. hi-flow pump and 2nd gear servo...

barge master
10-30-04, 05:08 AM
The 200R4 is not really a bad unit, not as good as a TH400, but they work. Evilrussian is right on the mark, that T/V cable is essential to the longevity of the unit.

ChiTDI
11-01-04, 02:16 PM
:coolgleam Thanks for the responses. now I don't feel like I did something :banghead:

ocjmakaveli
11-01-04, 05:54 PM
also what matter most is driving style burnouts and high hp demands will shorten the life no matter how good the trans i usually go through trans at less than 100,000 but my dad and moms cars last 200,000 easy cause they drive speed limit with no hard accelerations EVER lol

if only i could lay off the gas pedal hopefully my 8th speeding ticket this year will help me slow down a lil for the rest of the year :lildevil:

ChiTDI
11-03-04, 01:57 PM
:tisk: Yeah, I thought of that too. My son drove the car for the last four years at college. I got the cherubic live by the law presentation when I saw him, but when the cat's away...
I did think of that as a legitimate cause, but wanted to reject it hoping to hear from the masses that.... bad trans, happens all the time, couldn't be the driver, .....
I'll save the bill for him later and have to admit that I participated in Woodstock. Somethings are better left unsaid.

barge master
11-04-04, 07:48 PM
They say discretion is the better part of valor!!!

Spock
11-04-04, 11:15 PM
When my caddy was lacking power on accelerations I changed the AT fluid at about 180,000km, which I assume is the first time since this car has come to my hands. Some metal shavings collected at the magnet, took it for a drive promptly after the change and it runs GREAT! My gas mileage is better and there is a noticable power increase.

Mind you, I drive like an old man.