: 2K 4.6 NS- No worries or no probs mentioned YET??

Gary00SLS
08-21-03, 11:34 AM
I am noticing many "threads" that reference '98 and earlier models. Was there some kind of improvement(s) made to the Northstar or has no one had any issues to speak of? Maybe not many people (in this forum) own '99&up models?

Curiosity only! Wondering if I should be concerned or not.

Gary

Brett
08-21-03, 11:51 AM
My guess would be the '98 and up models have less mileage and therefore less problems. My '01 has 35k on it and i've only had 1 repair, which was a new dash module.

elwesso
08-21-03, 06:33 PM
The Northstar was redesigned for the 2000 model year.... Basically, they changed it so it can use regular gas.....

Hopefully the newer models wont have as many problems..... But, I wouldnt bank on it......

Snyder81
08-22-03, 03:37 PM
The Northstar was redesigned for the 2000 model year.... Basically, they changed it so it can use regular gas.....

Hopefully the newer models wont have as many problems..... But, I wouldnt bank on it......

Is there a good website with a summary of common problems? I just bought a 1996 DeVille Concours with 23,000 miles on a 4.6L 300HP NorthStar and I have not seen any problems yet, but I'd like to know what to expect. Is this a bad car to own because of the engine?

elwesso
08-22-03, 11:15 PM
Search around, and if you give us specific questions, Im sure youll find what your looking for......

One thing I noticed are common (or at least are mentioned more on here) with the newer northstar is the Camshaft position sensor...... Thats about all I know, and I assume all of the other problems (case half leak and the head gasket) are the same........

kcnewell
08-23-03, 02:27 AM
Is there a good website with a summary of common problems? I just bought a 1996 DeVille Concours with 23,000 miles on a 4.6L 300HP NorthStar and I have not seen any problems yet, but I'd like to know what to expect. Is this a bad car to own because of the engine?

There are some issues with SOME Northstar engines but there are many thousands of them with lots and lots of miles and NO problems. You have a great car with a great engine and will more than likely get many miles of trouble free service out of it. Enjoy it! Service it regularly and don't put cheap aftermarket parts on it if it does have a problem and it'll be fine.

Mad'lac
08-23-03, 03:14 AM
The Northstar is just like any other engine. You take care of it and it'll last you. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. Hell I'd take a Northstar engine over
my 4.1 V8 anyday.

elwesso
08-23-03, 06:14 PM
There are some issues with SOME Northstar engines but there are many thousands of them with lots and lots of miles and NO problems. You have a great car with a great engine and will more than likely get many miles of trouble free service out of it. Enjoy it! Service it regularly and don't put cheap aftermarket parts on it if it does have a problem and it'll be fine.
I agree.......

Most people only say negative things when it comes to cars...... Unless it is a LEXUS, which they have been told that NOTHING can go wrong with them, and if something DOES go wrong, its a freak occurance and most never do...... :histeric:

Unless its a lemon, you should see many a mile of trouble free driving with good maintenance......

The way I see it, if everyone told there stories about their northstar ownership, I bet that more would say positive things than negative things......

2dfx
08-25-03, 12:54 PM
The Northstar is just like any other engine. You take care of it and it'll last you. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. Hell I'd take a Northstar engine over
my 4.1 V8 anyday.
Duh. I think any engine would be better than the TH4100

kcnewell
08-27-03, 01:03 AM
I am noticing many "threads" that reference '98 and earlier models. Was there some kind of improvement(s) made to the Northstar or has no one had any issues to speak of? Maybe not many people (in this forum) own '99&up models?

Curiosity only! Wondering if I should be concerned or not.

Gary

See my post in Northstar tech section....It might put your mind at ease. The post is called " Some interesting facts "