: future CTS V power and handling

drbstern
10-04-11, 02:42 PM
Camaro is getting 3rd generation suspension and ride control; launch control; and 580 hp; 556 ft/lbs of torque! Looks like I get the Camaro when my lease is up April 2012. AMG 63 up to 560 hp; M-6, 550. Both now quicker (marginally) on the Nürburgring and drag strip. Cadillac is making a BIG mistake not keeping up! If I be wrong about lack of upgrade to CTS V, let me know.

frankie 08

GM-4-LIFE
10-04-11, 03:11 PM
Well, that's great and all, but knowing GM, they won't show their hands until spring 2012 what the 2013 V updates will be. Sit tight until around April or May of next year. I am sure GM wants to keep the V up at the top. They have the ZL1 LSA in their arsenal, so it would make sense costwise for them to just make one engine for both the ZL1 and the V which will keep the V ahead of the competition.

Anabolicz
10-04-11, 03:17 PM
Gm should build on the "fastest sedan" hype

M5eater
10-04-11, 03:55 PM
Well, that's great and all, but knowing GM, they won't show their hands until spring 2012 what the 2013 V updates will be. Sit tight until around April or May of next year. I am sure GM wants to keep the V up at the top. They have the ZL1 LSA in their arsenal, so it would make sense costwise for them to just make one engine for both the ZL1 and the V which will keep the V ahead of the competition.
The more effecient TVS and eletric steering pump are what seperate the ZL1 from the CTS-V. Anything else is simply due to there being more room in the camaro's bay. If you want a 30HP bump, it's going to take a special GM performance parts package.

GM-4-LIFE
10-04-11, 04:08 PM
I don't see any chance of the ZL1 LSA making to the CTS-V. The *only* change we would see is the supercharger effeciency change-- whatever that is.

The electric steering pump would not work with the ZF servotronic rack we have, and the intercooler/airbox/exhaust options are unique to the Camaro because of the way the platform and audience is different in the same way that the V2 could use a bigger single cooler which is more effecient than the ZR1's; that's not because they wanted the V2 faster, it's just because it had a bigger engine bay..

You never know what GM has up their sleeves to keep the V at the top of their game. If GM really wants to do it they can do a slight redesign to make everything work. Not a big deal for a company like GM.

M5eater
10-04-11, 04:18 PM
You never know what GM has up their sleeves to keep the V at the top of their game. If GM really wants to do it they can do a slight redesign to make everything work. Not a big deal for a company like GM.

slight redesigns take a lot of time, and we're into the 4th model year for this car. It's acutally a huge deal, most super-sedans(ie niche cars) do not receive powertrain updates like this even if their base-models do. The V1 being the exception in 10 years time-- and that was sort of a cost/supply thing, since the E60 had 500HP by the time a LS2 V1 showed up. The E36 also received a small bump, but that was a 7 year /71K unit run car. We don't even have the stuff we were promised in 2009, and it's only recently that stuff like the E63 C63 and M3 have received competition packages, but the base-models are the same specs since introduction. I would expect GM to follow in the german's foot-steps, if they even decide to follow. It would be nice to get some Performance parts, but if they haven't even lived up to something like a diff cooler which is acutally necessary-- it does not seem to bode well for anything else. Although I suppose you might be