: Possible first American car

toramo
10-29-04, 10:38 AM
I'm almost 40 and the STS would be my first American car after twenty five years of Volkswagens, Hondas, Acuras and Mercedes. I am looking at the new RL and the A6 but I owed Cadillac a test drive and I took one yesterday.

I was hugely impressed. The looks blow the RL away and the interior is the best I've seen in an American sedan. The technology and execution are first rate. Cadillac hit this one over the fence.

My only beef is the pricing. I loaded up an A6 4.2, a fantastic car in its own right, with DVD nav, premium stereo, etc. and it's a couple grand *less* than a loaded, non-AWD STS. I know I can work off of invoice with a Cadillac but invoice + $900 is still more than the Audi.

Maybe there's another way of looking at this and I might wait a few more months to see if Cadillac offers any kind of special deals. My local Virginia dealership has about a dozen cars right now.

Blue Chip
10-29-04, 11:34 AM
I'm almost 40 and the STS would be my first American car after twenty five years of Volkswagens, Hondas, Acuras and Mercedes. I am looking at the new RL and the A6 but I owed Cadillac a test drive and I took one yesterday.

I was hugely impressed. The looks blow the RL away and the interior is the best I've seen in an American sedan. The technology and execution are first rate. Cadillac hit this one over the fence.

My only beef is the pricing. I loaded up an A6 4.2, a fantastic car in its own right, with DVD nav, premium stereo, etc. and it's a couple grand *less* than a loaded, non-AWD STS. I know I can work off of invoice with a Cadillac but invoice + $900 is still more than the Audi.

Maybe there's another way of looking at this and I might wait a few more months to see if Cadillac offers any kind of special deals. My local Virginia dealership has about a dozen cars right now.

I don't know what factors are most important to you, but I should urge you to compare the specs of the two and the quality. You'll see the STS has the Audi beat handily on both. Read the reviews in the mags (they're mostly online). Also check the forums. You'll see many horror stories about German cars. I wouldn't touch any of them right now. How times have changed!

majax
10-29-04, 09:45 PM
I have the A6 as a background on my computer right now lol, dont hurt me guys. Its a nice looking car and you get quattro at a cheaper price than the AWD STS. I don't know what to say about the reliablity of an A6. You would be fairly good off with an STS. If I were you I would wait another year, the first year for a car is its least reliable year. You have a very tough decision to make. We are here to help you. Let me guess you have gone to the Audi forum and they are telling you to buy the A6 ;), j/k.

toramo
10-30-04, 06:05 PM
Good point about the Audi's reliability. First model-year German cars do scare me from a reliability perspective. My C280 blew a head gasket five thousand miles after the warrantee ended. My transmission failed after that, etc., etc.

I drive my cars a lot. I would need an extended warrantee with the A6. That would push the price up more in the direction of the STS V8 AWD.

I just test drove the RL yesterday. Very nice car. Although it has more horses than the V6 STS I felt the cars were equal in performance. It may have been an omen but I saw my first 05 STS on the road on the way back from the Acura dealership. It was a silver V8. I definitely perfer the chisselled looks of the STS over the RL.

majax
10-30-04, 07:36 PM
So do you want the AWD STS or the non-AWD? v8 to I take it.

The Acura has a really cool AWD system in it.

Sandy
10-30-04, 07:44 PM
My end-all dream car is the Audi A8. I'll never own one. At $82,000 I can't afford it (and IF I could afford it, I'd never drop $82,000 on any car). But, it's a dream all right.

majax
10-30-04, 10:34 PM
I do like the A8 interior Sandy, I have heard you say thats your dream car. You could always get a slightly used :lildevil: one.

Ormond
11-01-04, 12:24 PM
I had an Audi A6 4.2 (2001). I did have problems with it, and I had to drive an hour for service. I didn't keep it too long. That being said it was a beautiful automobile (Black/tan), and it handled well. I don't think that I would buy a first year production automobile unless it was Japanese.