: Key fob and nav screen problems

Dressel
10-29-04, 08:45 AM
Just purchased a new STS with everything but all wheel drive. I have 500 miles on it and the key fob has not been recognized three times, alarm goes off etc and locks me out. Cadillac does not know why. Also my Nav screen is out and apparently they are having problems with it. It is back ordered. Cadillac Customer Care is involved and I am waiting for some type of resolution. Has anyone had these problems?

Blue Chip
10-30-04, 03:07 PM
Just purchased a new STS with everything but all wheel drive. I have 500 miles on it and the key fob has not been recognized three times, alarm goes off etc and locks me out. Cadillac does not know why. Also my Nav screen is out and apparently they are having problems with it. It is back ordered. Cadillac Customer Care is involved and I am waiting for some type of resolution. Has anyone had these problems?

Thank you for alerting us to potential problems. I can understand "screen is out." To me it means it's just not lit up. The rest of the post is too general. Please tell us when and how these things are happening and what you've tried to do to overcome them. For example, there's a whole host of possibilities for why the FOB is not recognized that only you can be aware of based on what you were doing at the time.

Dressel
10-31-04, 08:59 AM
When I touch any icon on the screen it does nothing, because of this any interface with the radio, nav, set-ups, dvd etc. will not work. Cadillac has to replace the whole radio unit as it is one. This item is back ordered and they have no idea when it will be in. Regarding the key fob, twice it has not been recoginized by my car, causing a lock out or a non-start situation. It has also triggered the alarm randomly. I hope this clears up better what type of problems I have encountered with the car.

Blue Chip
10-31-04, 09:29 AM
When I touch any icon on the screen it does nothing, because of this any interface with the radio, nav, set-ups, dvd etc. will not work. Cadillac has to replace the whole radio unit as it is one. This item is back ordered and they have no idea when it will be in. Regarding the key fob, twice it has not been recoginized by my car, causing a lock out or a non-start situation. It has also triggered the alarm randomly. I hope this clears up better what type of problems I have encountered with the car.

I now understand it's the touch part of the screen that's not working. Thanks for the clarification. When the FOB has not worked, has there been a source of radiation nearby (cell phone, PDA, microwave oven, two-way radio in area). Such interference can be a problem. Have you opened the FOB and reseated the battery to make sure it makes good contact (I'm assuming you haven't gotten a "battery low" message on the DIC). Does the FOB refuse to work when you use it on automatic or when you try to unlock the car with the button on the FOB? I don't mean to beat a dead horse. Maybe you've already been through these things. They're suggestions what have helped other persons.

Dressel
10-31-04, 02:21 PM
I have tried all of your thoughts, It happened three times at gas stations, possible interferrence from someone nearby? Cadillac assistance had no thoughts for a cure. They told me to contact my service advisor at the dealership. They are aware of it but have no thoughts either. One time it let me in and then disabled the whole vehicle, dic stated key fob not recognized. I gave it a time out, in as far as walked away, then the alarm went off. After pushing the unlock button a few times it stopped and let me in the car and it started, very strange.

Blue Chip
11-01-04, 10:21 AM
I have tried all of your thoughts, It happened three times at gas stations, possible interferrence from someone nearby? Cadillac assistance had no thoughts for a cure. They told me to contact my service advisor at the dealership. They are aware of it but have no thoughts either. One time it let me in and then disabled the whole vehicle, dic stated key fob not recognized. I gave it a time out, in as far as walked away, then the alarm went off. After pushing the unlock button a few times it stopped and let me in the car and it started, very strange.

If it happened when the lights were on at the gas stations, that's a possibility. Does it happen with both FOBs? You've probably tried both - just a thought - bad FOB?

Dressel
11-01-04, 02:22 PM
All three times it was during the day. I am the only one who drives this vehicle so I have not used the other fob. Hopefully my nav screen replacement will be in shortly,at that time my dealer is going to go thru the whole car and see what is up with it. If I find somehting regarding the fob, I will pass it on in the forum for others to be alert of the situation. I do appreciate your thoughts and help, that is why I joined this forum

Dressel
11-15-04, 03:44 PM
My new screen and radio came in today, Installed in less than 5 minutes and all is working correctly. I was told that there is 1,100 of these back ordered, I was lucky to receive this quick.

Blue Chip
11-16-04, 09:54 AM
My new screen and radio came in today, Installed in less than 5 minutes and all is working correctly. I was told that there is 1,100 of these back ordered, I was lucky to receive this quick.

Glad to hear you got a fix to your problem - and relatively quickly. Hope you can continue to be a happy camper.

Dressel
11-20-04, 09:37 AM
New screen in and Cadillac called last night and offered me an additional 6 year 100,000 mile warranty for any and all electrical on the new STS. Thought that was a nice gesture on their part and am pleased to see they have some class. Love the car, handling, speed, looks. Have a Black raven with all but all wheel drive, tinted window to 35% all around and added screens to the headrests. Happy again.

Blue Chip
11-20-04, 12:01 PM
Right on!

WalkerRed
08-05-05, 12:11 AM
I too tonight got no repsonse from the touch screen. I have about 16k on it and have had no issues until now. I'm taking it into tomorrow and see what's going on.

Dressel
08-22-05, 08:07 PM
I have not posted here for some time but have had many problems with my car. Decided to log on today and found an old post of mine that has been recently replied to regarding my nav screen problem. Well since my original post my car has been the constant source of problems and to the point that it was not worth getting upset about and post all of them. It looks like I am getting a buy back from Cadillac. My issues? battery goes dead randomly, key fob not recognized, lock outs often, alarm goes off at will and then shuts me out and locks down the car, blue tooth still is random and of course the best and one we all love is the lack of voice recognition. I have had it and Cadillac knows it. This is probably my car and cannot speak for the masses but the sooner out, the better for me.

WalkerRed
08-22-05, 10:49 PM
Well...I did put my STS in the shop at Moore Cadillac (Where I purchased it). And they did confirm the nav touch screen went bad. I haven't any problems till now basically. Let me tell you...Moore had a new unit sent overnite and they slapped a brand new one in the next day! I love those folks at Moore...they really care about their customers. Since the replacement, I'm back enjoying this outstanding car!