: High mileage V's

mrmojo95
10-03-11, 11:38 PM
Who has high mileage, and how are they holding up? I bought mine with 30k 3years ago and I'm passing 122k now. Feel like I am approaching the life expectancy for a hard driven LS6....

06BlackV
10-03-11, 11:48 PM
I have 68k on mine , i must say these motors are built tough , if u put the right oils and follow the scheduled maintenance they should last long...

Brandon_allairebell
10-04-11, 01:22 AM
i have mine with 154,000 kms. pulls hard but i just bought it 3 weeks ago.

odla
10-04-11, 05:50 AM
107K some track time on it. Still good to go. needed new trans mount. After the new one went in it felt new again.

repenttokyo
10-04-11, 12:19 PM
i'm at 127,000 miles, still going strong.

kevm14
10-04-11, 07:29 PM
110k miles. Drove the wheels off it on the Dragon and elsewhere in western NC. Nothing broke...burns no oil. It still looks fantastic.

It did need a starter (fixed an intermittent no-crank) and just a few days ago, the right front TPMS went dead. And I just found out the rear manifold bolt on the driver's side has been sheared off for probably some time.

Some of the car isn't original, which means these things don't have 6 years and 110k on them. Things done under my care since August 2010 and about 13k of my driving:

Nav (under CPO for button peeling), headlight (under CPO for UV damage), battery (CPO), steering rack (voluntary for play), motor mounts (voluntary, CS black), front anti-roll bar bushings (clunking), uh, plugs (I replaced with OEM Iridiums).

Things done before I got the car:

Left rear axle @ 56k, right front tie rod @ 88k, shocks (previous owner did FG2s and they are working great), clutch @ 26k, clutch @ 88k?, clutch slave @ 88k, diff @ 26k, diff bushing @ 70k, end links @ 60k, anti-roll bar bushings @ 59k, radiator @ 31k, exhaust (previous owner put a Magnaflow on), UUC shifter and some other stuff as noted in the GM VIS report.

So maintenance free these cars are not. But I've been pretty happy with mine so far.

quikss
10-04-11, 07:30 PM
Yikes, my 2006 V has just under 38,000 miles on it and I am thinking of getting rid of it because of the mileage. Some of you guys have almost 4 times as many miles as me.

Jeff

UnsafeAtAnySpd
10-04-11, 07:45 PM
^38k miles is nothing for a modern car. My car has about 108k miles, 25ish track days, and was totalled at one time (rebuilt title now). That said, I have broken a few things here and there.

JFensty
10-04-11, 08:16 PM
115k here. Needs Mtr mounts and a few odds and ends. Completely original drive train and suspension. Definately a reliable car for the miles and how hard I drive it.

GDPossehl
10-04-11, 10:21 PM
These cars need a lot of maintenance and things do break. The good thing is once you've covered all the bases you've practically got a new car again.

mrmojo95
10-05-11, 01:51 AM
Wow. I'm definitely feeling better. at 122k, I have gone thru one clutch, one set of pads, two slaves, one starter, and one water-pump, couple of head lamp ballasts. But I live in Texas where a 30 degree winter turns into 50 days over 100deg summer..so that's a lot of wear and tear....so im thinking shes holding up pretty good then!...

How are you guys diagnosing motor and trans mount failure? With the LS7 clutch every thing is pretty rough so i dont know if i would catch that one....

GDPossehl
10-05-11, 09:47 AM
The motor mounts have a big shutter on shutdown and make changing gears a little more difficult.

How would you say the LS7 clutch is rough? I'm looking to replace my clutch soon and that may be a factor.

pato
10-05-11, 01:20 PM
Almost at 100k miles. Feels strong, doesn't knock or burn oil.

bassillac
10-05-11, 01:28 PM
13,250 here and on 8th oil change. No problems so far!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
10-05-11, 02:17 PM
A rough list of what I've needed to replace lately: 2 alternators (both my fault somewhat [header/wiring related first one, PS fluid related with the other]), PS pump (probably related to the next), PS rack, engine cradle (it broke where the rack was mounted, most likely related directly to the broken rack), radiator (common problem, good excuse for a Ron Davis unit), clutch/flywheel (still could've got by for a while, but both were trashed when they came out). That's all that I can think of at the moment. Clearly a few of the problems could've been prevented. Not too bad considering its use.

I do want to replace/upgrade much of the car this winter though. The only thing that's holding me back is selling this F-450 I have. Once that's done, I want coilovers, 9" rear/driveshaft/axles, poly bushings (vendors, please keep making more until we can replace them all! :) ), upgraded hubs, two-piece rear rotors, seats/harnesses/6 point rollbar, painted headlights, lexan windows, retint, cam, battery relocate, etc, etc, etc. But I digress... it's hard not to with mod plans... :)

mberisha
10-05-11, 03:19 PM
13,250 here and on 8th oil change. No problems so far!

8th oil change? Wow! Can I have your oil after your next oil change?

GDPossehl
10-05-11, 04:10 PM
Why would you change oil every 1650 miles? Does it sit for 8 months between every drive?

OneFast V
10-05-11, 05:23 PM
109k. changed plugs and wires at 100k for good measure, new alternator just this past month, pushrods, valve springs and Ti retainers (for the maggie build). Brake pads and rotors are due soon for me and i have the LS9 clutch sitting in my garage but everything else has been just fluids and tires.

JimmyH
10-05-11, 05:31 PM
Yikes, my 2006 V has just under 38,000 miles on it and I am thinking of getting rid of it because of the mileage. Some of you guys have almost 4 times as many miles as me.

Jeff

damn, that means I would have to buy a new car every 1.5 years (shut up bigjim)

SRTTOCTSV
10-05-11, 07:08 PM
I bought my car Oct 30 2010 with 49K and now I'm up too 96K.

alradco
10-05-11, 07:56 PM
Nice to see the dependability up there. Glad to see I'm not the only one that puts serious miles on his cars.

Peter

DDS rollin a CTS
10-05-11, 09:33 PM
Bought my 07 V in March with 30k miles and I'm up to about 40k now. I have 175k on my 03 CTS that I'm currently selling so I know the platform is good, and it appears the drivetrain in the V is good for a lot of miles too.

Chubbilicious420
10-05-11, 09:59 PM
105,000 miles here. Bought a GM company car in March of 2006 with 2,5xx miles. 97,500 blissful warranty covered miles. 3 radios due to peeling nobs. Cradle bushings. 1 rear diff, cluthch and slave cylinder @52,000 miles, fuel level sensor, tire pressure sensor or two, other little things. Cross drilled rotors w/ accessory wheels @35K, 3 pairs of front Hawk pads, two sets of rear pads, plug wires and irridium OEM plugs and fluids @99,5XX. Waiting on tranny fluids, with were replaced with new rear diff ect at 52,000. Used 1/3 to 1/2 a quart for the first time. Took a 4000 mile road trip with my father to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole this past month. Beartooth Pass is awsome for spectacular views, but the Dragons Tail is a more technical drive. No place for cops to hide on Beartooth which is a plus. My wife insists I should sell the car, but the way I see it, it has been gone through, and well maintained, I buy the next tranny cheaper than a V wagon or 300 SRT8 is going to run me, and it gets better milage than both and will beat or run with one of the two.

mrmojo95
10-06-11, 09:35 PM
Vibrations are considerable with the LS7 clutch..but I may need mounts..I have open straights pipes exiting before the rear wheels so finesse is not really a concern..I usually ride stuff till it breaks anyways..lol

Its funny reading everyones repairs..I'm like oh yah..I did 3 driveshafts..cradle bearings...shifter broke (don't ask)...etc..I forgot about that stuff. Still better than any mopar-benz clone tho....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

PORGUY
10-07-11, 05:46 PM
105k here..... changed plugs, plug wires, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, i think it need motor mounts, due for brakes...all around not bad, still runs like a scalded dog just routine stuff any car will need.

odthetruth
10-07-11, 06:32 PM
Double post. Meh

odthetruth
10-07-11, 06:40 PM
119k miles basically. I put about 1k on it since I picked it up. However, cars been running excellent. I seafoamed it (not in the oil), CAGS elim, put my old CTS armrest in and a few other things. Tightened up a sway bar link in the front, and I need to replace the motor mounts. Might do motor and trans mounts. No oil consumption from what I've seen so far, etc.

Car moves like hell, chirps to 3rd. Clutch seems to be good as well, but I'm going to switch out to a Stage 3 + Flywheel from SPEC.

chet
10-08-11, 02:19 PM
My wifes daily driver 04 CTS-V is the Hi mileage winner here so far. It has 166K miles. This car had a bunch of problems when it was brand new. But after the dealer fixed these it's been a rock solid machine. It has the original spark plugs and clutch. :) The clutch is starting to show its age and I'm going to replace it soon. Drivers side heated seat quit working a long time ago. To expensive to have it fixed. I'm going to wait for 200K miles or a CIL to do the spark plugs.

54inches
10-09-11, 05:46 PM
What a timely thread; my 2003 90k mile cts was totaled and I just found a 2005 V for a great price and runs great;90k. Ran the Vin through the dealer and most of the major stuff has been replaced under warranty.

The diff it's self has not, but it does not whine at all........

chet
03-17-12, 03:18 PM
Just a quick update on my wife's 04 CTSV with 179K miles. Today it passed a Smog check with perfect test results:

HC (PPM) = 1
CO% .05
NO (PPM) 13

Still running on original spark plugs and clutch.:) Runs like new and is getting 20 mpg. We love this car.:thumbsup:

VisBoss550
03-17-12, 05:14 PM
my 2004 V just hit 88,000 iv had to replace the rear dif, alternator, crank shaft seal, and the ac belt, both head lights due to UV damage, and the head liner due to my dumb ass self leaving the sunroof vented on a rainy night.....fml!

Larimer
03-18-12, 09:26 AM
74k and it needs a bunch of little things. Radiator is next.

SC2150
03-18-12, 10:19 AM
We tear down LS motors (and most any motor you can imagine) here every week and I see LS based engines with 200-300k miles that look like new inside yet (as long as full syn was used). NO wear ridge in the bores...and you can still see the original hone cross-hatch. Bearings and journals looking like 50k miles not 2-300.

Persoanlly, we ran our 98 vette for over 200k miles 1/4 mile at a time (first 20 k miles were street) traveling the country with the race team and when there wasnt room a crew driving it 500-1000 miles following the rig. Never let us down. Same with youngest daughters 2000 camaro. 210k miles before selling it and it is still being raced.

I would not be afraid of a 200k mile engine taken care of no matter how hard it was run. :thumbsup: