: Was someone Whacked in my Car...Never mind Where am I gonna find the trim piece lol

lacville78
10-03-11, 06:15 PM

Well here is the pic of the interior trim piece I need.
Thanks to Sven I got the lens that was busted on the C-Pillar
I also just noticed those screws poking and will tighten those, and I will glue back up the C-Pillar headliner material

But I was wondering Where would I find another piece like that,And off of what year Caddys would fit, And more importantly

What the heck is going on. I bought the car from a somewhat sketchy looking guy.
Now im thinking that a shotgun went off in the car.
The glass has been replaced I think, because there are no defog lines, yet I have the switch for it.
I wonder if someone got whacked in the back seat....Liks Marvin in Pulp Fiction.. Im assuming the blast was from inside because I dont think buck shot would penetrate from the outside. And the grouping of the buckshot holes suggests a close range blast
Of course this is all speculation. But...Sure doesnt look like normal wear and tear to me.
I wonder was what the ratio is on these types of cars ie, Elederly People vs. Mobsters
Anyways thought someone might find it interesting
Thanks,
Tom

cadillac kevin
10-03-11, 10:40 PM
Tom,
looks like a shotgun went off from approx. the front passengers seat, and was fired straight back. (but the guy missed the back window). so, no . no one was whacked in your car, but someone was most likely trying to whack somebody else (drive by?)
the window has been replaced, with one from a base caddy, base 98, or base electra.
I can get that trim piece for you, but it will be in a dark tan. I am not sure what the yard I go to would charge for something like that. then there is the issue of shipping
all I can say is that you would be alot better off to find the trim locally (shipping would not be cheap). I'd say that trim is the same for a deville/ fleetwood, 98, or electra, as long as it does not have the formal roofline with the smaller back window. pretty easy to tell the difference, as the formal window is smaller than that (in appearance) by about 2 inches in every direction. plus the formal window has a multipiece surround.

cadillac kevin
10-03-11, 10:40 PM
just another thought- do you have a deck mounted rear defroster (fan mounted inside the trunk under the rear deck)?

lacville78
10-03-11, 10:48 PM
just another thought- do you have a deck mounted rear defroster (fan mounted inside the trunk under the rear deck)?

Nope I don't have that.
I think I'd like to grab that piece off you. Ill send you a PM around Friday, If that's cool.

I'm in Galveston Texas and the yards SUCK big time around here.

cadillac kevin
10-03-11, 11:05 PM
I just remembered thats a 78, not an 80's 'lac. don't think the rear window trim is the same.
there is a '78 or '79 coupe here (also with tan interior) though. I'll have to see if it has that trim piece (probably does since interiors are left alone for the most part aside from seats and radio bezel).

sven914
10-03-11, 11:19 PM
You can get a bottle of Luminol for like $20. It's that chemical the police use to make blood fluoresce under ultraviolet light. It might be worth the investment...

lacville78
10-03-11, 11:59 PM
You can get a bottle of Luminol for like $20. It's that chemical the police use to make blood fluoresce under ultraviolet light. It might be worth the investment...

Good Idea, and I think that piece would have to come from a Sedan but I'm not sure.

As far as the interior on the 78 goes, I wouldn't be surprised to find All sorts of fluids. But amazingly the seats don't have any stains that I can see.

I bought an 88 Brougham D'elegance for parts price, with intentions of grabbing the interior out of it (same color as 78) but the owner told me the thing only has 49K on it. And after fixing a bad ground wire and replacing the fuel filter that thing runs like a top.

So now It looks like I have two projects on my hands. hehe

77CDV
10-04-11, 03:06 AM
The trim you need is available on any 77-79 SDV, Electra 225, or 98. Fleetwoods and coupes use different trim pieces from what you have. Also, 80-92 is different due to the different rake of the backlight and won't work in the 77-79 cars.

csbuckn
10-04-11, 04:36 AM
Looks like a shotgun blast to me. What if you found blood with the luminol? That'd be crazy.

turbojimmy
10-04-11, 08:36 AM
Looks like a shotgun blast to me. What if you found blood with the luminol? That'd be crazy.

I would subscribe to the "what I don't know won't hurt me" philosophy in this case. It does look like a shotgun blast. It would be impossible to completely clean up the mess if someone was hit back there...

My GN was a recovered theft, totaled. The driver's side T-top had blood spattered on it, but I don't think it was the original because the insurance appraisal wrote it for a new t-top. Someone must have replaced it after it was hit to keep it dry inside. Dunno where that T-top came from, but someone got hurt sitting under it.You find some wacky stuff in used cars, particularly salvage because the previous owners didn't have time to clean them out.

cadillac kevin
10-04-11, 09:58 AM
are you guys sure the coupe and sedan devilles use a different rear window trim? I know the rake of the windows are different, but its still the same piece of glass.
either way, last time I went, the yard had a 79 electra and a 77? 98 sedan , so I'll check those out.

77CDV
10-05-11, 01:44 AM
The coupe backlight is much larger than the sedan.

Aron9000
10-05-11, 03:23 AM
I think I would fix the headliner and leave the trim piece alone. Its a good conversation peace for anybody riding in the back seat lol.

pompste
10-07-11, 05:03 AM
WOW---sure looks like something either blew up or some buckshot was fired.
First time i`ve ever seen "possible" evidence of foul play in a Caddy on this site!
I hope you find the parts you need.The salvage yards in my area also suck for older car parts.I find most of my parts on e-bay or use a national database for salvage yards across the USA.