: Brake dust

RichF
10-03-11, 04:27 PM
Hi:

Our car has about 600 miles on it - and one of my pet peeves (with other cars I see on the road) is dirty front wheels on "fancy" cars
because people don't bother to clean the brake dust off their wheels. We have the polished aluminum wheels, and the Brembos
seem to throw a tremendous amount of brake dust. Does this lessen over time, are there different pads that can be used, or am I looking at cleaning these things every few days? :banghead::banghead: Thanks.....

keithsm2
10-03-11, 04:41 PM
I hate the dust also....but i tried the armor all wheel protectant and must say ....it works great.... Im not sure on how much you are suppose to use...but I only got about a total of 7 wheels coated before the can was dry....and i think it cost about 9 or 10 bucks.....but wheel really werent dirty after two weeks of driving to and from work.... ( wish they made something for the paint near the rear of the car that collects dirt too :)

elphil
10-03-11, 04:46 PM
Advantage of the SG wheels. They get just as dirty but it doesn't show.

RippyPartsDept
10-03-11, 05:29 PM
generally ceramic pads will generate less dust accumulation on the wheels because the dust particles are not metal they do not become charged and stick

JimmyH
10-03-11, 05:38 PM
Well worth the $8:

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/nodust.jpg

keithsm2
10-03-11, 05:52 PM
how many uses do YOU get out of a can??

JimmyH
10-03-11, 06:10 PM
I think I got all four wheels at least 6 times. I admit, the stuff is expensive for the small can you get. But I have tried alot of different sprays, and this is the only one that has worked for me. But I only wash my car once a month, and it lasts that long, so it's worth it for me.

keithsm2
10-03-11, 06:11 PM
wow...i must be putting it on way too think....i got a total of 7 wheels done :)

JimmyH
10-03-11, 06:28 PM
damn, I know I got way more than that. I don't go crazy with it, but I make sure I get the whole wheel. Which always fails, because there is always that one little strip somewhere on one of the wheels that gets brake dust caked up on it :D

RapidRob
10-03-11, 09:51 PM
^^^ Also, if you drive in wet weather/conditions, that seems to pretty much wash the protectant off the wheels, and they will dust up again fairly quickly after that. I've been using the ArmorAll Protectant for well over a year, and it keeps the wheels clean for weeks at a time if you keep them dry.

Rob

RichF
10-03-11, 10:30 PM
Thanks, everybody!

khoeysr
10-04-11, 10:01 AM
I switched to Hawk ceramic pads and really reduced the brake dust. The original equipment pads are very dirty.

There are a lot of threads about performance, but I am very happy with them with the exception of an occasional squeak.

js615
10-04-11, 11:42 AM
I've alawys been very concerned about the clear coat on the polished wheels. I had a set go bad on my V1 and since I go my V2 I have not wanted to put anything on them that might create problems. On my V1 I had the optional GM polished wheels and I used various wheel cleaners to wash the brake dust and road grime away. Over time the wheels lost the polished lustre and showed scratches. They were replaced under warranty and I never used wheel cleaners again - and never had issues again. Could be coincidence...don't know, but I still avoid harsh chemicals on my wheels. In fact, all that goes on my wheels now is water and non-amonia glass cleaner sprayed onto a micro-fiber towel.

All that said - anyone seeing any issues with the Amor All Wheel Protectant? No cloudiness? No breakdown of the finish?

JimmyH
10-04-11, 05:48 PM
^^^ Also, if you drive in wet weather/conditions, that seems to pretty much wash the protectant off the wheels, and they will dust up again fairly quickly after that. I've been using the ArmorAll Protectant for well over a year, and it keeps the wheels clean for weeks at a time if you keep them dry.

Rob

well, to some extent. Even after they get wet (driving in rain) they still repel brake dust. Not as well if they have never gotten wet since applied, but it still works better than never having applied it.

RapidRob
10-04-11, 05:53 PM
^^^ - Heh heh, well it's all relative eh? Get the wheels wet, and the wheels dust up a lot quicker than if they'd remained dry ...

Rob

JimmyH
10-04-11, 06:10 PM
I am waiting for the uber brake pad to be invented; fade free at 800F, good stopping power when cold, and zero dust. Until then, subsist I shall.