: M3 Caught Testing, ATS-v BETTER Have a DCT

CTSVKINGWAGON
10-02-11, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jEokuh46ksThose are crazy fast shifts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6jEokuh46ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lord Cadillac
10-03-11, 01:26 PM
Yeah, you're not kidding. That shift around 45 seconds into the video sounded nice..

JimmyH
10-06-11, 04:07 PM
I think GM is too smart to delve into unproven, problematic transmissions just yet.

Besides, the true enthusiast always requires three complete pedals.

Lord Cadillac
10-06-11, 05:59 PM
the true enthusiast always requires three complete pedals.

Yeah, but most people just want to win races.

JimmyH
10-06-11, 06:15 PM
I am not most people. It's not how fast you get there, it's how much fun you have doing it :D

0AT E03
10-06-11, 07:34 PM
If it doesn't have 3 pedals, I won't buy it.

I went to Manuals in 2006 (with my Saab 9-3 Aero) and my only foray back was a disaster (2008 Jeep GC) of shift dissatisfaction.

Lord Cadillac
10-07-11, 10:47 AM
I hear ya - but at the end of the day (to Cadillac), it's all about selling cars...

I am not most people. It's not how fast you get there, it's how much fun you have doing it :D

JimmyH
10-07-11, 11:24 AM
That's every manufacturer. I suppose that is why the aftermarket is so strong these days.

Lord Cadillac
10-07-11, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I guess so. Some people were so disturbed when they heard the 2009 CTS-V would be available with an automatic transmission. It's just meant more sales for Cadillac. Some people don't like manuals. Why send them to other manufacturers? Same with the smaller engines being "available". Who cares if the Escalade is going to have a V6? If you don't like it, buy the one with the V8.

That's every manufacturer. I suppose that is why the aftermarket is so strong these days.

JimmyH
10-07-11, 12:54 PM
Some people were so disturbed when they heard the 2009 CTS-V would be available with an automatic transmission.

I can kind of understand that though. There was a certain exclusivity with the 1st gen CTS-V. Every single one was a manual transmission. For those of us who are driving enthusiasts, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that. Maybe that doesn't make sense to most people. But it was something I appreciated. And actually, it is a small part of why I was not that excited about the 2nd generation. There is more to it than just that, but that is indeed a part of it.

JBsZ06
10-23-11, 12:08 PM
I would love to see GM move towards Dual clutch transmission technology yet I would be happy with a planetary computer controlled transmission especially if it did not have a torque convertor.

Its the torque convertor that enthusiasts often time find distasteful in diluting that sporty driving experience.

I will have either a MCT or Dual clutch transmission. Hope GM moves in that direction.

CadzillaTN
10-23-11, 12:44 PM
I can kind of understand that though. There was a certain exclusivity with the 1st gen CTS-V. Every single one was a manual transmission. For those of us who are driving enthusiasts, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that. Maybe that doesn't make sense to most people. But it was something I appreciated. And actually, it is a small part of why I was not that excited about the 2nd generation. There is more to it than just that, but that is indeed a part of it.

+1..

JimmyH
10-23-11, 02:05 PM
Dual clutch direct shift transmissions have a long way to go. Nissan and VW have already proven how unreliable they are. And they are expensive. Just look at the VW GTI. It's a small, 200 hp car that costs over $25k. You could get a Cobalt SS for less than that which would blow the GTI away. GM is smart to let other manufacturers perfect the design, and spend the money to do it.

I admit they are amazing transmissions, and that they are the future. But I sure as hell don't want to be the guinnea pig. You guys can have the finicky, faulty DSGs now. I will wait until they perfect them (by then, my left knee will probably want one when it's tired from all the fun I have had in my car with proper manual transmission :D)