: Smoke from steering column with hazards on

turbojimmy
10-01-11, 05:42 PM
The other flasher thread reminded me of this....

The hazard flasher switch in my '96 was bad when I got it. I had to take the steering wheel off to replace it.

The hazards on my '94 work fine, but I get smoke from the steering wheel if I leave them on for more than a couple of minutes. Is the hazard switch a common problem on these things? Evidently the switch can't handle the load. Or, I'm wondering if the smoke will eventually stop with more use. The car did sit for a long time....

jayoldschool
10-01-11, 05:57 PM
Happens semi-frequently. The wiring GM used is too small of gauge for the current draw. When you replace the switch, you will find crispy/melted wiring going to it. Same for the dimmer (headlight hi/lo) switch.

turbojimmy
10-01-11, 06:19 PM
Happens semi-frequently. The wiring GM used is too small of gauge for the current draw. When you replace the switch, you will find crispy/melted wiring going to it. Same for the dimmer (headlight hi/lo) switch.

Great. I'm hoping that when it does fail, it doesn't set the car on fire.

csbuckn
10-01-11, 06:22 PM
Can you put a smaller fuse in to slow down current?

turbojimmy
10-01-11, 06:36 PM
Can you put a smaller fuse in to slow down current?

No, jay is right - undersized wiring to power all of the bulbs. Switch to LEDs would dramatically decrease the current draw, but the stock flasher won't flash as a result. The stock flashers actually heat up from the current draw, break the circuit, cool off, and re-energize the circuit to flash. That's why they flash faster or not at all when you have a bulb out.

EDIT: As I re-read that, it doesn't make sense that they flash faster with less of a load (bulb out), but that's was my understanding. Off to research because it will bug me now...

EDIT EDIT: I was right. With less of a load, the flasher cools faster, resulting in the faster blinking. Or, it might not get hot enough to flash at all.