: Turn signal not flashing

firstimecaddi
09-30-11, 03:04 PM
I observed this today, turn signals do not flash. All bulbs light up like they are supposed to but will not flash. The bulbs are alight, the indicators in the IPC glow steady. When I tried the emergency flasher they work.

What could be the cause of this?

csbuckn
09-30-11, 09:01 PM
You know, I cant even think of what the little cylinder thing is called right now. Flasher? Isnt it called something else?

77CDV
10-01-11, 12:46 AM
Nope, it's called the turn signal flasher. If neither side is working, then the flasher is the first suspect. You might also check that you don't have any burnt out bulbs, as that will cause the turn signals to freeze on the affected side.

firstimecaddi
10-01-11, 11:59 AM
Ok so I was about to do some investigation in to matter. So I put the key in and turn it on (engine off) same problems. I then started the car and tried the signal again, left then right..... nothing. I tried the emergency flasher, that works ok. So I tried the turn signal again, this time they work both left and right. So I played with it for a little bit, left, right, left right.....they continue working but then reverts to not flashing again. Now yesterday when I first noticed this. the cornering lights came on with the signal as they normally do even though they were not flashing. Today, turns will not flash and no cornering lights.

and I checked for burnt out bulbs....found none. What is the problem?

csbuckn
10-01-11, 01:02 PM
Flasher. Under the dash, little cylinder thing with one connection.

On a semi-related issue. Can you buy different flashers that make a louder or softer tick? I've heard some that sound kinda soft and then some base model imports that have a loud ticking noise.

77CDV
10-01-11, 02:31 PM
Flasher is still the prime suspect, but if that doesn't solve it and there are no burnt out bulbs, then you have to suspect the turn signal lever connection or wiring.

For csbuckn, yes there are flashers with different volumes, and also slower and faster flash speeds.

turbojimmy
10-01-11, 04:38 PM
The round cylinder flasher is the hazard flasher. It's to the left of the steering column. The square one to the right of the column is the turn signal flasher. Both up under the dash.

jayoldschool
10-01-11, 05:00 PM
You can get electronic flasher that are quiet and do not heat up in order to flash. Good for trailering where the extra load from more bulbs will cause your flashers to flash way too fast.

turbojimmy
10-01-11, 05:20 PM
You can get electronic flasher that are quiet and do not heat up in order to flash. Good for trailering where the extra load from more bulbs will cause your flashers to flash way too fast.

I'm thinking of doing that with my hazards and switching to LED bulbs to take the load off of the wiring.

csbuckn
10-01-11, 05:23 PM
Is there a way to tell what the flasher will sound like before buying one? I don't know if you'd have to worry about flasher load if you switch to LEDs

jayoldschool
10-01-11, 06:12 PM
You will, because the LEDs don't draw enough current for a mechanical flasher to work.

The-Dullahan
10-02-11, 01:19 AM
Is there a way to tell what the flasher will sound like before buying one? I don't know if you'd have to worry about flasher load if you switch to LEDs

If you switch to LED, a typical Flasher may have problems, due to the load being so low in voltage. This can cause very slow signals or they may just not work at all. Relays tend to have different volumes. The turn-signal in a Fusion SEL is probably the loudest I have ever heard. It's ridiculous. As for these circuits, I have found that both types, the cylindrical thermal flashers and the square 5-pin will have different click volumes. Again, 5-pin FORD relays (not signal flashers) tend to be very loud (I always have a lot on hand, because they are very easy to remove from junk cars and the junkyards do not care if you take fuses or relays, so I strip the constantly changing fleet vehicles every time I visit, saving hundreds in the end)

The cylindrical ones, I am not sure really which uses the loudest, as they often do not have a brand name on them and I tend to order those wholesale, the most for the cheapest.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/Photo-0212.jpg

turbojimmy
10-02-11, 10:38 AM
Not to hijack, and this is somewhat related....

So I ordered up all 6 rear bulbs and all 4 front bulbs, all LED. I also got a standard, 3-prong electronic flasher for the hazards. But, the turn signal flasher is different. It's a 5-position plug and it's square. Anyone know if this will work? Or did I just screw myself?

turbojimmy
10-03-11, 01:22 PM
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like only 3 of the positions on the 5-position plug on the turn signal flasher are used in a non-export application.

Further, the wiring diagram shows a distinct difference between the hazard flasher and the "electric flasher" for the turn signals. The turn signal flasher has a device in it labeled "TIMER". The hazard flasher does not. I'm hoping, therefore, that the switch to all LED bulbs won't affect the turn signal flasher operation. Again, I got a "normal" electronic flasher to replace the round hazard flasher.

When all my LED bulbs arrive I'll post back the results.....

csbuckn
10-03-11, 01:35 PM
Tough one, Maybe contact the manufacturer?