: 290hp 5.3 V8 , Front Wheel Drive

Stoneage_Caddy
10-28-04, 09:58 PM
sounds weird dont it , somehow GM wedged the aluminum 5.3 v8 into a grand prix , and this time it aint no show car! Coming next spring
http://www.autoweek.com/images/news/101103

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101103

If that wasnt enough , buick will also get the 5.3 front drive stuff for the lucerne , a replacement for the park avenue , supposedly with 4 portholes on each front fender ...Buick is back !!!

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8613_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&article=7664

But the biggest rumor is what may happen with the monte carlo , supposedly either way it will have a 5.3 v8 , but there still decidin on what wheels it will light up

Sorry 4.9 Brothers , we no longer have the record for the largest displacement v8 ever mounted transversly driveing the front wheels (60s to mid 80s eldos were north-south mounted)

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TRANSAXEL THEY WENT WITH FOR THE 5.3!!!!!

illumina
10-28-04, 10:29 PM
hmm...maybe a good chance that they will use the same bolt pattern for the 4t65e, which fits the 4.9 if i recall. if so, i may put the tranny on reserve today!

anyways, it's about damn time buick put some balls in under their hoods. we haven't seen a buick v-8 since the roadmaster in the mid 90's.

and i like a v-8 for the grand prix too. like it alot. what with the GTO going to more power and all (400 i think), another v-8 along with the N* bonneville will make pontiac a real performance force again.

i have long been awaiting more chevy v-8's. one reason i have turned away from them is because of the lack of such engines for their cars. when the bow-tie guys axed the camaro, i think they lost a HUGE base. they need real "SS" cars with nice v-8's in them.

just my .02

illumina
10-28-04, 10:34 PM
you know what? if they are putting transverse pushrod v-8s back in the lineup, then maybe...just maybe...

evilrussian
10-28-04, 10:42 PM
Just as US Auto manufacturers slowed down or stopped the production of V8 RWD vehicles, Japs and Germans quickly filled the niche... And now GM comes out with a 5.3 V8 FWD Grand Prix? Shame, they can do better than that...

Vesicant
10-28-04, 10:45 PM
I believe the Impala is getting something simmular as well.. cant recall. Thats a sweet deal though, GM powertrain went through and adapted the 5.3 for fwd. IIRC the 4.8 will come too.

RBraczyk
10-28-04, 11:39 PM
What are they using for a firewall, construction paper?

Stoneage_Caddy
10-28-04, 11:41 PM
4T65E had a upper limit of 200hp and i think 300lb ft 4t80e i think had a limit of 300hp/325lb

boath wouldnt handle the 5.3s torque curve , in our silverado it makes damn good power , couldnt imagine what that extra 20hp would do for it , i first heard about fwd 5.3 a year ago and thought it was a typo as its a truck engine so i figured it had to be wicked tall , but then again its pushrod and pushrod engines are shorter overall . thats the reason why we havent seen a dohc c5 or c6 , it fit in a c4 vette but they wanted a wicked low hoodline for c5 and beyond ...you can see the differnce with an XLR and a C5 sitting next to eachother , the XLR's hoodline is a bit taller to make room for that tall northstar , and if it fits front drive that 5.3 damn well should

visit gm powertrains web site , there working on a 6 speed planetary manual tranny , cant wait to see what that ends up in

davesdeville
10-28-04, 11:56 PM
I'm a RWD V8 fan. But a FWD V8 is better than no V8 at all. Maybe the Monte SS will get some cohones.

Msilva954
10-29-04, 07:40 AM
Finally a V8 that will have aftermarket support.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-29-04, 06:29 PM
lets hope it gets a decent transaexl capable of handleing more(aftermarket) power ...

There are already blowers for the truck 5.3 and 4.8 (same external dimentions)

too bad they couldnt have gone the rest of the way and adapted the versatrack system from the aztec/rendevous , 290hp and awd sounds even beatter , thats audi hunting , albeit without the beatter weight balance of the s4

evilrussian
10-29-04, 07:27 PM
too bad they couldnt have gone the rest of the way and adapted the versatrack system from the aztec/rendevous , 290hp and awd sounds even beatter , thats audi hunting , albeit without the beatter weight balance of the s4

And fire their design team, start with fresh talent and get things done right this time. That duo is... what's the word I'm looking for... FUGLY?

majax
10-29-04, 09:10 PM
Look forward to seeing the buick.

for 5.3 liters that engine does not put out a lot of power, are you sure its only 290?

of course isnt the Hemi 5.7, lol. Why is it so cool to some that a motor is extremely big, shouldnt it be more cool that it has gobs of power? I don't intend to be the 1liter per hp dude at all but 5.3 is really big for how much power it got. Its torque kinda makes up though.

I didn't know the 4.9 was the largest transvers FWD motor.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-30-04, 12:35 AM
im positive the 4.9 was ...

The new Hemi produces 345 horsepower (5,600 rpm) and 375 lb-ft of torque (4,400 rpm) from 5.7 liters (345 cid*) when used in the Dodge Ram - one horsepower per cubic inch.
(allpar)

as for the 5.3 it has 325-lb-ft(@ 4k rpm) to back up the 290hp(@5200) , its 323 cubic inches (in this application in others it makes up to 310hp) . It makes all of its power at a lower range than the hemi . the 310 hp version is a derivitve of the 6.0 ls2

the ls2 (c6)- 405hp and 400lbft from 6.0 liters (366 cid)

i belive the 1997-8 Corvette made 345 hp/350lbft in base trim from 5.7 litres

ive heard the new hemi makes its power due to beatter flowing ports on the heads , explains why it takes it longer to build power. Remeber the new hemi isnt the same as the old 426 , a REAL hemi . This one is close to a hemi design but not quite plus it has twice the spark plugs of a GM small block (theres an expensive parts bill)

majax
10-30-04, 01:08 AM
Yeah all hemi engines have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The name Hemi comes from the way the cylinder heads are, hemispherical.

Rolex
10-30-04, 11:28 AM
I'm a RWD V8 fan. But a FWD V8 is better than no V8 at all. Maybe the Monte SS will get some cohones.

No doubt!!! They bastardized the Monte Carlo SS from old by creating a fwd v6 version. The Monte Carlo deserves a V8 IMO. I love that GM is putting the 5.3 in these cars. It's a reliable and strong truck engine with lots of aftermarket goodies to beef it up. Regardless of how much bhp you get out of these engines, the FWD application will always have its performance limitations.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-30-04, 12:01 PM
Yeah all hemi engines have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The name Hemi comes from the way the cylinder heads are, hemispherical.

yup yup , but it also involves domed pistons , of which the new hemi doesnt have ...

I dont recall the 426 or any of the street hemis haveing twin plugs per cylander , onloy a handful of race hemis and of coarse the new one has twin plugs

heres a 426 , go ahead try not to drool
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/images/smalhemi.gif

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 09:11 PM
sorry to get OT....

but can I get more info on the 5.3 Vortec?... the truck I am looking at getting in the future would have this ('99+ Silverado) and I want to get more info... I don't know much about it to start with... 290hp... really? surprised... nice torque too... I only got to drive a '98 Silverado with the 5.3 for a limited time while in Texas... but any info would be helpful....

....why would GM be putting a 5.3 V8 in the GP when they have the NorthStar in the Bonnie?.... they just need to dump the FWD already.... that 5.3 is going to be a b!tch to work on... the 4.9 is a pain as it is...

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 09:12 PM
the new Hemi's ARE domed pistons and heads... that is why they are also using the name...

Vesicant
10-31-04, 09:40 PM
Well first off - that 98 has a Vortec 5.7 (255 hp, 330tq) or a 5.0. We own a 98' 5.7. Nice truck, great low and mid range grunt but not much high.

The first new generation Silverados had (as an option) the 285 hp 5.3 V8 with 325 ftlbs torque. The standard engine was the 4.8 with 270 hp and 285tq. The 5.3 and 4.8 are famed for high end power- we're talking in the 5000 rpm ranges. But not so much for the low. Both versions are nice and powerful. The latest 5.3 has a power increase because of competition from Ford and Dodge.

http://www.jcscoops.com/performance/vortec_engine_specs.php

http://www.jcscoops.com/performance/

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-04, 11:24 PM
the new Hemi's ARE domed pistons and heads... that is why they are also using the name...

really ? the writeup i read about it in pop mechanincs said it didnt , time for me to run over to allpar again

weve enjoyed the 5.3 in our 99 siverado makes great power for what we do with it (towing a 5k rv and a 7k racecar trailer)

i have noticed a lifter tap @idle after a good long run at highway speeds , also has the very typical late model small block piston slap on some mornings . its tranny blew out at 79k , still had all gears but a very bad shudder and vibaration coming off the line at any throttle position (would axel hopp if done @ WOT) dealer couldnt trace it and replaced the torque converter (converter shudder)and tranny (poss clutch pack catter) to remove it , im still positive it was all in the torque converter ...

we keep our trucks for 8 years , in a few years well order a hybrid silverado to replace our 99

Msilva954
11-01-04, 08:09 AM
So what would it take to swap the 4.9 for the new 5.3......hehe

Vesicant
11-01-04, 06:28 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/0407_hemi/

That may have been the old hemi, but the new one comes short.. (in reguards to the hemi comment).

As reguards for a 4.9 to 5.3... id say probably totally new electronics, steering gear relocation, mounts , fuel pump. Firewall clearance probably.

Oh and did i mention, Money :D :drinker