: Buying 95 fleet and have?

4saken
10-28-04, 08:54 PM
Okay im going to be buying this 1995 fleetwood and it has alot of miles on it over 200,000... But the car looks brand new. I am kinda scared about buying it since it has soo many miles. And plan on taking it by the dealers to get it looked at before i purchase it. So my question is to all u fleet owners what should i look for when inspecting the car, like do these car have any certain problems i should look out for? Cause im affraid of buying a car then it nickle and dimeing me to death.
Thanks

Mr Cowl Hood
10-28-04, 09:28 PM
Okay im going to be buying this 1995 fleetwood and it has alot of miles on it over 200,000... But the car looks brand new. I am kinda scared about buying it since it has soo many miles. And plan on taking it by the dealers to get it looked at before i purchase it. So my question is to all u fleet owners what should i look for when inspecting the car, like do these car have any certain problems i should look out for? Cause im affraid of buying a car then it nickle and dimeing me to death.
Thanks

Well look for the usual stuff, Oil leaks, Look in the oil fill tube to see if there's much carbon built up (that's an indication of how well it's been serviced) Trans leaks, Coolant leaks, and then drive it.

See if there are any bumps rattles, creeks or thumps when you drive down smooth roads. Does the trans shift properly? See if it slips much at all.

Bottom line is: if you're buying a car with >200k miles, you'll be paying for stuff that's either out or on it's way. I don't think there's a car made that can make it that far without some care needed. Just don't think you're buying a new 200k mile car. Make sure you have backup $$ for incidentals. Don't drive it too far out of town until you put a good 5k miles on it first...yes, I'm speaking from experience on, near, 100k mile cars.

Good luck.

Brian 96 Fleetwood Brougham / 96 Impala SS

Adam
10-28-04, 09:32 PM
:yeah: he got here before me. over 200k it will have some problems. mine has 145k and i am gettting it rebuilt, just doesnt feel that powerful anymore. and its leaking oil out of the rear main seal so that aint good. so it wouldnt hurt to save up the money to have it rebuilt.

RBraczyk
10-28-04, 10:21 PM
Transmission will likely be an issue in near future depending on how often the fluid was changed and how the driver drove. 200k is a sign of highway miles, ususally non abused.

DopeStar 156
10-28-04, 10:36 PM
My opinion? .......look for something a lil' lower.

Mr Cowl Hood
10-28-04, 10:48 PM
:yeah: he got here before me. over 200k it will have some problems. mine has 145k and i am gettting it rebuilt, just doesnt feel that powerful anymore. and its leaking oil out of the rear main seal so that aint good. so it wouldnt hurt to save up the money to have it rebuilt.

Seeing as how the 95 Fleetwood has the popular LT1 engine, you have many, long lasting, options for a build up later.

My FW has 95k on it now and I'm considering a mild, 383, short block from www.golenengineservice.com. They have a great deal for about $2999. I've had the pleasure of tuning their engines and can only say great things about how smooth they are....okay enough promotion, sorry. :chill:

You could choose to use your old heads and cam even if you wanted, but I'd rebuild the heads with a valve job, springs, retainers, valve seals, etc.

That's a few bucks, but if it's as cherry as you say, it's a small price to pay for a car you could enjoy for another 10 years of it's life!

I know what you're going through because, before I bought this FW I saw an absolute CHERRY :rose: 94 FW, for $4500, but it had 257,000 miles on it :shocked2: . The interior was immaculate, not a scratch in the leather, barely a nick on the body and the underside was also clean. I passed on it but I know someone is enjoying it. :bouncy:

But Good luck, just the same

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS

btw, are there any plans to add permanent sigs to this sight?

4saken
10-30-04, 09:42 PM
Well thanks for all the info!!! I just ended up finding a 94 fleet same color and under 100000 miles and cheaper,not as nice as the 95 but still real clean so i decided on the one wit less miles on it even tho i really wanted a 95 but o well i hope its the right choice :p

HotRodSaint
10-31-04, 03:13 PM
Well thanks for all the info!!! I just ended up finding a 94 fleet same color and under 100000 miles and cheaper,not as nice as the 95 but still real clean so i decided on the one wit less miles on it even tho i really wanted a 95 but o well i hope its the right choice :p

Post pics! :cool: