: I'm going nuts

SRTTOCTSV
09-30-11, 03:45 AM
So recently I started feeling more vibrations when driving between 65 and 90+. the vibrations can be felt in the floor, steering wheel and in my seat. I can def feel them in both 5th and 6th gear. When I push in the clutch the vibrations calm down bit are still there. I'm on the edge of buying a new drive shaft and new bushings but I worry that it might be tire or clutch related. I don't have the $$ to just throw away st this thing. I love this car but hate this damn vibrations. Any help would be great!!!!

odthetruth
09-30-11, 04:01 AM
You on aftermarket wheels?
Check the tie rods. Normally it wouldn't be because if its an alignment issue, it would pull vs shake, but still, it isn't costing you anything to check.
It more then likely could be a tire out of balance. Make sure you didn't lose a weight or anything. Check for a bent rim, etc.
Check to make sure the bolts on the driveshaft are all torqued down to spec. If they are... then it could be the driveshaft bushing? I know CS makes a replacement bushing for something like $65 if I'm not mistaken.

CancerJCC
09-30-11, 06:42 AM
You on aftermarket wheels?
Check the tie rods. Normally it wouldn't be because if its an alignment issue, it would pull vs shake, but still, it isn't costing you anything to check.
It more then likely could be a tire out of balance. Make sure you didn't lose a weight or anything. Check for a bent rim, etc.
Check to make sure the bolts on the driveshaft are all torqued down to spec. If they are... then it could be the driveshaft bushing? I know CS makes a replacement bushing for something like $65 if I'm not mistaken.

I think someone was drinking when they posted this! :) Your talking about the rear diff bushing and no that wouldn't cause vibrations but rather a "clunk" when on and off the accelerator.

OP Get under her and take a look. Then go from there. You might find something blatantly obvious and answer your own question.

odthetruth
09-30-11, 07:01 AM
LOL Not so much drinking as much as tired at the job, but either way... What I was going for was checking the bolts on the driveshaft to make sure they were all on solid. A loose u-bolt is where I was going. And I was thinking along the lines of Drive shaft coupler that CS makes.

PISNUOFF
09-30-11, 08:06 AM
Unless you get under your car and see the driveshaft center bearing rubber is torn to shreds, I would not spend $900 on a new one as its most likely not what is causing your issue. The first thing I would do is have the wheels balanced. Our cars are very sensitive to wheel balance in the speed range that you're talking about. I've had sets of tires that vibrated to some degree no matter how well they were balanced.

wcryan
09-30-11, 01:07 PM
I get the same issue. My car sits for a few days because I work 24hr shifts and am usually gone 3-4 days at a time. I get home and my wheels shake for a little cause they arent warmed up (hankook evo v12's) Once they are warmed up the shaking stops in the wheel. (it is very little to begin with though).

The big issue is on the freeway around 70-85. It feels like my whole car is shaking. It doestn do it all the time either. Sometimes it can be smooth as hell. To be honest it doesnt feel like a balancing issue. It feels as though my driveshaft is bent or a axle is bent. I really dont wana buy a gforce driveshaft for 1000$ and have it not be it. I'm gonna start at the axles.

Keep my updated if you find anything, and the same I will do for u

mstrjon32
09-30-11, 02:03 PM
I had similar issues. A proper roadforce balance cleared it up. For whatever reason, these cars are very, very sensitive to the tires being balanced exactly correctly.

wcryan
09-30-11, 02:08 PM
What machine do companies use for road force balancing again?

odla
09-30-11, 02:12 PM
Hunter.

mstrjon32
09-30-11, 02:16 PM
IIRC it's the Hunter GSP9700. Hunter also makes non-road force balancers, and often you'll have to specifically ask to get the road force balance.

odla
09-30-11, 02:16 PM
mine has the same problem. same speeds and all. I just had the tires rebalanced. Road force of course.

wcryan
09-30-11, 02:38 PM
did it take all that vibration away? Cause I think a road balance is pretty expensive

CadzillaTN
09-30-11, 03:53 PM
$10 per tire at firestone..unfortunately they don't offer lifetime balance on the roadforce..

One tip, go when it's dead. Or, slip the guy an extra 10 or 20 bucks (if it's busy). They can spend as little as one minute on a tire and get it 'good' or much longer and get it really good. If they spend one minute on them, or your guy is trying to get to that next (higher) paying ticket, you are no better off than with a regular balancer. Roadforce looks at the whole tire surface from outside to inside edge and finds flat spots, irregularities, etc.

One benefit of the roadforce machine, especially for you autobahn guys, is the ability to fine tune the tire at any speed.. so be sure to tell them the speed range where you're having the worst vibes...for example, it might not shimmy until 110- they can fix that.

odla
09-30-11, 06:28 PM
I may have bad tires. it went from a road force of 30 to 20. i know the guy spent all the time i wanted. He is a buddy. It did get better but still there. not as much but still. I may look into getting them replaced since i bought the warranty with them.

Rakenjevnk
09-30-11, 07:06 PM
If you do find that it is your driveshaft I have one for sale $150 +shipping, I had no vibrations before I took it out and the carrier bearing looks solid.

CadzillaTN
09-30-11, 08:01 PM
I may have bad tires. it went from a road force of 30 to 20. i know the guy spent all the time i wanted. He is a buddy. It did get better but still there. not as much but still. I may look into getting them replaced since i bought the warranty with them.

When I was having vibration problems, the dealer said their benchmark for tires not being an issue was a rating of 8-12 or something..can't remember...but they weren't "brand new".. So I went and got them done, and all registered between a 2 and 5... I already knew it wasn't the tires...Idiots.

CadzillaTN
09-30-11, 08:25 PM
So recently I started feeling more vibrations when driving between 65 and 90+. the vibrations can be felt in the floor, steering wheel and in my seat. I can def feel them in both 5th and 6th gear. When I push in the clutch the vibrations calm down bit are still there. I'm on the edge of buying a new drive shaft and new bushings but I worry that it might be tire or clutch related. I don't have the $$ to just throw away st this thing. I love this car but hate this damn vibrations. Any help would be great!!!!

Is your trans mount new?

wcryan
10-01-11, 04:47 PM
If you do find that it is your driveshaft I have one for sale $150 +shipping, I had no vibrations before I took it out and the carrier bearing looks solid.

PM me so I can have your name in my inbox

odla
10-03-11, 08:09 AM
Thats good to know on the 8-12 info.
Thanks

SRTTOCTSV
10-19-11, 12:33 AM
A little update... just installed some new rubber on the car. It did make a difference but i still feel a little vibration through out the car. im going to go have the wheels road forced and a 4 wheel alignment and see what happens then. Ill fill you all in tomorrow.

DougNuts
10-19-11, 12:39 PM
Is your trans mount new?

I also would be looking into replacing the factory trans mount with a new piece. I do not recommend Creative Steel, which reminds me that they never got back to me about my issue.

wcryan
10-19-11, 12:45 PM
any updates? Road force balance and I still get some vibration. It almost makes me not wana drive my car. Especially on the freeway

CadzillaTN
10-19-11, 02:56 PM
Doug,
Do it, its not hard. I am very curious to see if it helps your 2000-2500 rpm vibration issue.....at least shim it with a stack of washers on each bolt to see if it helps. If so, replace...

SRTTOCTSV
10-19-11, 10:17 PM
so today I got my 4 wheel alignment/road forced. kinda feels like the road force make the vib come out a little more. the dealer ship said that it was an exhaust vibration. has anyone had a vibration from installing B&B headers x-pipe and res?

wcryan
10-19-11, 10:20 PM
that's funny you say that because the road force did the same for me. I noticed it recently. It felt good at first, but then being on the freeway a little more it started coming out some more and now it's pretty bad. I feel embarassed when people are in my car

SRTTOCTSV
10-19-11, 11:29 PM
Each time I have my tires road forced it seems to turn out crappy. ill be taking it back to my friends shop to have it spin balanced. I'm not knocking that method but just doesn't seem to like me.

wcryan
10-19-11, 11:33 PM
spin balance meaning the regular balance method?

CadzillaTN
10-20-11, 01:18 AM
Did they give you guys a printout with the roadforce balance values? Did they focus on balancing in the speed range where you're having issues?

No way a regular balancer can beat a roadforce unless the person just half-assed it.. Or perhaps a weight was thrown off the rim.. Or it's not the tires at all.

Have you ruled out the possibility that it's not speed related, but instead rpm?

If rpm, I think these trans mounts are suspect if worn bad. The drivetrain sags at this point.. Now that i've removed the trans, I can see how that input shaft could vibrate if at the wrong angle. When the rear of the trans is low, that shaft is pointing upward in the engine and stressed.

I guess it could be unrelated here and I could be completely wrong, but i'm wondering, how many people still have these various vibration issues and a new trans mount?

SRTTOCTSV
10-20-11, 01:43 AM
No print out but he did say the we're all in spec. My first set all but one passed. The trans and mm go in on Monday.

alradco
10-20-11, 01:46 AM
I had a similar problem on one of my cars. Put new tires, brakes, and got an alignment and it went away. Could probably be so many other things though. Good luck getting it fixed. I know just how you feel.

Peter

SRTTOCTSV
10-20-11, 01:50 AM
Also if the clutch pedal is pressed the vib is lessened. I hate vibrations!!!!!

wcryan
10-20-11, 03:41 AM
I have CS motor mounts and the trans mount and I dunno. I got mine road force balanced but it's still there around 70MPH. but sometimes the vibration isnt there at all. Especially when my tires are a little colder. When they warm up it gets super shakey. I dunno what to do anymore.

CadzillaTN
10-20-11, 10:51 AM
It's a long shot but if it's intermittent, and you daily drive your V, it could simply be the road surface where you're experiencing it. Maybe a certain lane, etc.. 'Older' but still perfectly competent tires are also much worse at handling slightly imperfect road surfaces. It's hard to tell until you get new ones..

I know that when i'm running down a newly paved road, and I was previously experiencing some vibes, they mostly disappear, or I can at last more easily pinpoint where they're coming from..

odla
10-20-11, 12:19 PM
Rotate tires front to back. See if that helps.

wcryan
10-20-11, 01:45 PM
they are offset. I know it's not the tires though because when I had RSA's on my car it did it too. But just not as much. I think i'm gonna try and get some new endlinks

wcryan
10-27-11, 02:14 AM
this might be a breakthrough for you. Cause it was for me. I decided to up my tire PSI from my usual 28-30 to 36-39. Help SO much

SRTTOCTSV
10-29-11, 08:34 PM
ill give that a try wcryan.

mstrjon32
10-30-11, 03:36 AM
this might be a breakthrough for you. Cause it was for me. I decided to up my tire PSI from my usual 28-30 to 36-39. Help SO much

+1 I run my tires at 40 cold unless I'm hitting the track.

wcryan
10-30-11, 01:11 PM
any updates? did it work?

SRTTOCTSV
10-31-11, 01:39 PM
Car is at the shop to get the flywheel and pressure plate balanced. I'll try that when it gets out. If you set your tire pressure to 40 doesn't that's make your tp alarm go off?

wcryan
10-31-11, 01:48 PM
put it at about 35-36 and it should warm up to about 39 depending on the weather.

mstrjon32
10-31-11, 02:04 PM
I only saw the alarm go off once, I think it was at 48 PSI?

wcryan
10-31-11, 02:12 PM
yeah. That's too high. Let's just put it at a Est. 35PSI for cold tires. And when they warm up they should be around an est. 40 PSI

mstrjon32
10-31-11, 02:14 PM
According to mberisha's owners manual, if you're going to be operating at sustained speeds of 130 MPH (it happens in Germany) you should set the tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall. My manual says set them to 34 all around (he has the 2nd edition of the manual). I split the difference and run them at 40.

wcryan
10-31-11, 03:01 PM
i'm just going by what helped me. Max pressure for the tire is for better tire wear which ='s less performance. So wether your going from a high speed highway driving standpoint or a performance/track standpoint, they are gonna be different

mstrjon32
10-31-11, 03:35 PM
i'm just going by what helped me. Max pressure for the tire is for better tire wear which ='s less performance. So wether your going from a high speed highway driving standpoint or a performance/track standpoint, they are gonna be different

True, which is why I drop them to 30 when I'm at the track. :)

Castro
10-31-11, 05:27 PM
I had bad vibes after new rubber and it actually turned out to be a broken bolt on the exhaust, disappeared completely once they replaced it.

wcryan
10-31-11, 05:33 PM
what kinda vibes? The whole car? in the steering wheel?

Motown Cad
02-04-12, 09:07 PM
Also if the clutch pedal is pressed the vib is lessened. I hate vibrations!!!!!

SRTTOCTCSV, what was the final outcome? Was it the flywheel and pp balance, bad clutch, tranny mount, or gears in tranny or tranny.
I have the same issue. Thanks in advance!

PICOWHEEL
04-03-12, 03:22 PM
Its probably more than just having the wheels re-balanced!!

I would bet money that you have a bent wheel if 60 - 90 is where you are feeling vibration!!

Easy fix and can be cheap if you are in an area where there is a wheel repair shop that knows what they are doing.

Easy way to chech is to jack up the car and have someone spin the wheel for you while you look and the front and back edges of the wheel where the bead of the tire seats up to the rim.

Or take it to a tire shop and have them re-balanced and when they put them on the balancer ask them to spin the wheels by hand without putting the hood of the machine down so you can see what the wheel looks like when its spinning. So you can see if its the wheel or it could even be a tire if you have a flat spot or the core of the tire separerated which is unlikely but possible and you would see lateral run out in the tire.

IF YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER OR A TIRE SHOP THAT DOES NOT REPAIR WHEELS THEN THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THEM!!

THIS COULDNT BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH!!

Below is something I posted earlier and it will give you a little more knowledge about wheels and causes of vibration that you can use the next time your in a tire store so you can make sure they check a few things out for you as opposed to just throwing on new tires and not even looking to see if there is something wrong with the wheels.

If your getting vibration even right after they balance your wheels then 99.9% chance you have a bent wheel. If your wieghts keep falling off then the tire store just isnt cleaning the break dust off properly!! If you are watching them when they balance your wheels then have them spin your wheel without pulling the hood down on the balancer and look at the inside edge of the rim right at where the bead of the tire seats up on the rim and if your wheel is bent you should be able to see it fairly easy. Most often though if you are feeling vibration at lower speeds like 60mph and under then no matter how well the wheel is balanced if you have a bent wheel it wont solve the problem. Then wheel will need to be straightened. Most good tires shouldnt require much wieght to balance the wheel and if so then the you probably got a defective tire. My point is that even if you dont balance a straight wheel with a decent tire you wont really feel to much vibration until you reach higher speeds usually 60mph and up. Also if you are feeling vibration in the steering wheel then it has something to do with a front wheel and if you are feeling it in the seat or floor boards then it would be a rear wheel. Most the time if you have a front wheel bent then a reat is bent as well and that would explain feeling it through out the car.

I am a 4th generation wheel restoration and repair man. I have done wheels for 10 years learning everything I know from my grandfather who has been doing wheels since 1962 and still tunes and trues wire wheels to this day at our shop in N. Hollywood Ca. We have been in business in California for 92 years and I read alot of threads on different forums about vibration and I like to respond to some from time to time offering a little knowledge in the what can cause vibration and what the culprit is almost 90% of the time!! Bent wheels and they can be repaired but most tires shops dont offer this service and as long as your wheel/ tire holds air and can be balanced fairly well they wont tell you that you have a bent wheel. Most of the time this is just do to the fact that the tire technitian doesnt know what he is looking for or at!! Its a huge problem at franchise tire stores that just hire any old joe to remove and install tires. If anyone has any questions about vibration or wheel problems or restoration on any wheel please feel free to email me at any time!! Thanks Chad Stevens - GM - Pico Wheel Service, Inc.

picowheel.com

website is under construction but will be back up soon but our phone # is there if anyone ever has any questions on what could be causing that anoying vibration that would drive anyone to drink.....