: low oil now car wont start

Action2098
09-30-11, 02:01 AM
So I have noticed that my car has been running rather rough lately. Seemed like a knocking sound and a lot of vibrations when it would start but then it would smooth out. The other day I checked the oil and sure enough I didn't even have anything showing on the dip stick. The next day I went out to start the car and it wouldn't even crank...it would start to but then shut right off. So I went and got oil and filled her up...tried starting the car and now she turns over but wont fire! What is going on? I have been reading up on these forums and notice that i may need to replace my cps as well. If I approach this where can I find a diagram or instruction on the location of the sensor? Please help I am desperate for answers. By the way my low oil display never showed up on my message center...why would that be if I was that low on oil?

Action2098
09-30-11, 02:07 AM
So I have noticed that my car has been running rather rough lately. Seemed like a knocking sound and a lot of vibrations when it would start but then it would smooth out. The other day I checked the oil and sure enough I didn't even have anything showing on the dip stick. The next day I went out to start the car and it wouldn't even crank...it would start to but then shut right off. So I went and got oil and filled her up...tried starting the car and now she turns over but wont fire! What is going on? I have been reading up on these forums and notice that i may need to replace my cps as well. If I approach this where can I find a diagram or instruction on the location of the sensor? Please help I am desperate for answers. By the way my low oil display never showed up on my message center...why would that be if I was that low on oil?

I feel as though there must be some reset I need to do so that the car will fire again...since the oil was added the car actually would crank so that must be influencing why it will not fire...is it also possible that in doing so I may have flooded the engine? I am not smelling gas either if that helps.

odthetruth
09-30-11, 02:33 AM
Hey chief. #1... Wrong section. This is the CTS-V forum, and you need to be in the V6 forum.
Welcome to the forums.

The reason the light didn't show is because the CTS, to my knowledge, doesn't have a low oil sensor.
The CPS (crankshaft position sensor) you are talking about is a common issue with the 3.2L engine, but since your info says you have an 04 3.6L, odds are the CPS is not at play with this.
That said, I hope you didn't seize the engine up.

If you checked the oil and saw you were low... why did you then attempt to start it up again?

justintiime
09-30-11, 07:37 AM
troll post?
http://void-star.net/x/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Action2098
10-05-11, 10:59 AM
Thanks man, to answer your question I honestly wasn't thinking...after reading these threads I found that sensor, pulled it and cleaned it off. Strange thing is after the second try she started right up. IDK what the reason was it couldn't start in the first place but whatever, lol its working now. Also...my bad about posting this on the V forum. I'll figure this site out better soon. Thanks for the reply. BTW...in the past if my oil had gotten too low I would have a message flash saying engine oil low...that never happened this time. That concerns me.