: Possibly a stupid question

Faber
09-29-11, 01:48 PM
Did my first oil change in the V last night and just like my mixed drinks, got a little generous on the pour. With the engine cool, the oil is about 1/4" above the top line on the dipstick. Should I drain out the extra oil or will it not really do anything? I vaguely recall that over filling the oil can cause all kinds of disasterous consequences, but not certain if it was wife's tales or not.

rand49er
09-29-11, 02:22 PM
I put 6 qts in each time I do it. Others here do 6-1/2 qts every single time ... why, I don't understand unless those are all LS2s, but that's another subject.

Sounds like you're within that 1/2 qt range, so I'd lean to you being okay.

Skidmarcx
09-29-11, 02:30 PM
Overfilling is indeed not a good thing, but you're not in the excessive range... I'd leave it alone

Faber
09-29-11, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the peace of mind folks!

JDB
09-29-11, 08:41 PM
Well, I run 1 qt over for track days.... as long as the crank isn't splashing in the oil in the pan, then you're fine. You'll probably just burn it off until your next change. If it makes you feel better, crawl under and slowly remove the drain plug...you'll find that right at the end, it drips out quickly enough to have a bottle under it to remove what's overfilled. That's what I do after track days. I just re-use the 1 qt bottle that I put in. Top back off if I took too much out.

PISNUOFF
09-30-11, 07:57 AM
1/4" over the top line does not put the level over the windage tray so your crank will not be hitting it. You'll be fine.