: Goodyear Eagle Run Flat experiences

delta_chi_03
09-29-11, 02:43 AM
Was thinking about going with run flats after the pilot sports wear down. Anybody ever tried them out? And, what did you think about them? Figured being able to limp in somewhere if a flat happend would be helpful in certain areas.

hamta
09-29-11, 03:14 AM
The goodyear run craps (gen 1) on my zo6 were the worst tires I've ever owned wouldn't (and didn't) ever buy them again. Replaced them with PS2's on my zo6. The GY lasted 10,000 miles and I drive the zo6 very mildly.

1madstsv
09-29-11, 05:27 AM
If you want the worst tire out their buy them. Mine came on my c5 with only 1,500 miles on the tires when I got the car I used them for doing burnouts and got rid of them. They are not called run craps for nothing.

Prof
09-29-11, 07:22 AM
I used Goodyear Eagle F1's (not run flat) on a performance Volvo Wagon (imagine that combination of words...performance Volvo Wagon...) and they were wonderful in warm dry conditions...absolutely the stickiest street tires I have ever had...but in wet and cold conditions they were worthless, actually scary. But they looks sooooooooooooo sexy!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Volvo/IMG_0510-2.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Volvo/gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg

6speeder
09-29-11, 10:14 AM
The supercar runflats that are OEM on C6 Z06's give great performance....for the first 3-4 thousand miles. After that, they suck. No traction for cornering or acceleration. And, even when new, they ride like wooden wheels, and are VERY noisy. And, they really suck when it's cold.

I wouldn't drive on them if they gave them to me for free.:mad2:

thebigjimsho
09-29-11, 10:54 AM
I've never had a set of Goodyears wear evenly. Add runflat to that and it's worse. They tram in ruts like a freight train, they're too stiff and they are pretty awful in the rain.

Tuna
09-29-11, 11:19 AM
I've used GY run-flats on several different Corvettes and my V1.

First generation F1 GS-Cs on a C4 - worst tire I ever used - hard, loud, lousy traction - couldn't wait to wear them out.
It didn't help that the C4 was never intended for run flats. They were supposed to last for 200 miles with no air - another reason they were awful.

Second generation F1 GSs on a 98 C5 - better but got hard and noisy as they aged. Again, the base suspention on a Vette isn't really suited to the run flat. Supposed to last for 100 miles - better but not great.
Second gen on an '03 C5 with MagnaRide - much better as the shocks and tires worked better together. Still got hard and noisy as they aged. Switched to Michelin PS A/S ZPs and found them to be very nice. Michelin ZPs are only good for 50 miles w/o air - another reason they are better.

Third generation F1 GS-2s on C6's - both with MagnaRide. Better still compared to the GS on the C5. Better suspension on the C6 doesn't hurt. One C6 has Michelin PS A/S ZPs now and the other still has the GY GS. GS has better dry traction - Michelin A/S ZP is a hard tire with a treadwear rating of 500. Michelin is quieter and better riding. GY GS still gets harder and noiser as they age.

Third generation F1 SuperCar on the V1. Wore out fast (13Kmiles) so I never got to see if it got harder and noisier as it aged. Great dry but sucked in the rain. Went through 2 sets in 2 years.
Switched to F1 D3 run flats and was working on my second set when I sold the car. Great dry and really good in the rain. Did not get noisy as they aged (25k miles and 3 years). Not cheap.

If GY would make the D3 run flat in V2 sizes, I'd consider using them instead of the Michelins.

The newer generation run flats are much better than the first ones that generated the "run-crap" label and they do come in handy if you cut down a sidewall out in the country somewhere - you keep on driving to the next town. You can't do that with the standard tires on the V2.

Btw, I bought the spare tire kit for my V2 from EuroDesigns just in case.

khoeysr
09-29-11, 11:49 AM
I have had 2 Vs and they are my first experience with a car that has no spare.

Last spring I blew a rear tire and was left stranded for a short time until a local could plug it so that I could finish my trip and head home. Both rear tires were replaced as a result, and you folks know how much those PS2's cost. It has always bugged me that despite owning such a formidable vehicle that i could be stranded for an extended period because of the no spare situation.

Too bad they couldn't have designed these tires with a run flat mind set, given the circumstances.

JFJr
09-29-11, 12:25 PM
I wish that I could find run-flats in stock sizes and proper load rating, but no one makes them now. It's absolutely ludicrous that Michelin designed run-flats for a lower production car like the ZR1, but didn't for our premium super sedan/coupe/wagon. Don't pay any attention to those with dated experience regarding run-flats; tire technology changes all the time. We use our cars for different purposes and there are tires made specifically for racing, if that's your bag. I've had many sets of Goodyear run-flats with no problems. So what if they aren't the smoothest; we are driving high performance cars after all. If run-flats become available, I'll sound off. I hope that the tire manufacturers monitor this forum and give us that choice.

Jud

tedcmiller
09-29-11, 01:30 PM
I had run-flats (Goodyear and Bridgestone) on both my V1s and liked them very much. Most of the things said about these tires are true. They don't wear well and are not very sticky on wet surfaces. They are very, very sticky on dry surfaces. The loss of wear to me is worth it for the gain in peace of mind.

PS2s are a better tire and Michelin (the best tire manufacturer) does make a full set of run-flats for the Corvette. While the front Corvette tire (285/35R19) is the same as the rear tire in the V2, Michelin does not make a front V2 equivalent in a run-flat. Bridgestone had a set of run-flats that would replace the stock sizes of the V2, but no more. The same tire and PNs are available, but they are no longer run-flats. Bottom line - there is no manufacturer (that I know of) today that make a set of run-flats to replace the stock V2 tires.

If Michelin (or Bridgestone or Goodyear or any other decent tire manufacturer) decides to add a run-flat 255/40R19 to its line up, I will by a set.

Tuna
09-29-11, 05:08 PM
PS2s are a better tire and Michelin (the best tire manufacturer) does make a full set of run-flats for the Corvette. While the front Corvette tire (285/35R19) is the same as the rear tire in the V2, Michelin does not make a front V2 equivalent in a run-flat.

The 285/35/19 is the REAR tire on the base Corvette. The C6 front tire it 18". Thought I'd clear that up.

JimmyH
09-29-11, 06:54 PM
I was impressed with the lateral grip on the F1 supercars on the V1. It seemed near limitless. That's about the only accolade I can give them though. The rears were shot at about 5000 miles I think. Transfered the fronts back there and I think they almost made it to about 10000.

CIWS
09-29-11, 10:25 PM
Ran two sets on the 05 CTS-V it came with the Supercars, very grippy tire, but needed replacing at 11K. Then ran the RSA run-flats and they lasted about 27K miles, however they were average as far as grip. Nothing to write home about.

tedcmiller
09-29-11, 10:44 PM
Tuna, I don't know a C6 Corvette from any other Corvette (never had a Corvette - too hard to get out of for an old fart like me), but I do know that Michelin makes a ZP (zero pressure) tire in 285/35ZR19. Whether or not that is a front or rear tire for the new Corvette, I don't know. I looked at the new Corvette (ZR1) at the latest car show we had here, and I thought that I saw a 285/35ZR19 on the front and a 335/25ZR20 on the rear. I also know that Michelin does not make a ZP version of the 255/40ZR19, which is the front tire on a Cadillac V2. So, the rear tire on the V2 is the same size as the front tire on the ZR1. I also know that both tires on the Corvette ZR1 are ZP versions.

Tuna
10-03-11, 09:57 AM
The 2012 C6 ZR1 gets a 285/30/19 PS2 ZP. Close but no cigar.
The 285/35/19 is the rear tire on the base C6 and you can get it in PS2 ZP and A/S ZP versions.

The ZO6 and GS models get 275/35/18 & 325/30/19 tires. I believe the ZO6 can be optioned with the ZR1 tires and wheels.
The base C6 still comes with 245/40/18 & 285/35/19 tires.

Yes, I have 2 C6 Vettes in the garage and the Vagon.

I've done searches on tirerack.com and other places for run-flats in the V2 (sedan/wagon) sizes to see what came up and nothing came up that would match up.

GY was making the F1 D3 EMT in 285/35/19 but production is out or done as none seem to be available here in the States right now. They have a 245/40/19 D3 EMT but who wants to drop down a size?

Jpjr
10-03-11, 04:06 PM
The F1 supercar runflats on the V1 were hands down the worst tires I have ever owned. They were the worst product I have ever owned. They made me leave Goodyear for good... at least for the foreseeable future anyway. I despise Goodyear runflat tires. Despise is a strong word. I despise them. I despise them more than anything else in this world. I can't emphasize enough how bad of an experience I have had with those tires. They are about the most expensive set of tires you can buy. The first set lasted 3k miles and the second set 4k on very light daily driving. Worse yet the grip was awful after 1k miles. Forget about rain.

Let me know if this wasn't clear.

Jpjr
10-03-11, 04:10 PM
PS: The Hanook tires for our car are the best tires I have bought in a long time. I notice very little difference in grip relative to the Michelins and they are half the price. I continue to run the PS2s on my Cobra because it's not a daily driver and I run it harder.

Forget the runflats, just pay $75 for a AAA membership and you will be much happier IMO.

JFJr
10-03-11, 08:53 PM
The F1 supercar runflats on the V1 were hands down the worst tires I have ever owned. They were the worst product I have ever owned. They made me leave Goodyear for good... at least for the foreseeable future anyway. I despise Goodyear runflat tires. Despise is a strong word. I despise them. I despise them more than anything else in this world. I can't emphasize enough how bad of an experience I have had with those tires. They are about the most expensive set of tires you can buy. The first set lasted 3k miles and the second set 4k on very light daily driving. Worse yet the grip was awful after 1k miles. Forget about rain.

Let me know if this wasn't clear.Wow! I got 18,000 miles on my GY run-flats, and liked them. So much for different driving styles.

Jud

JimmyH
10-03-11, 08:58 PM
Jpjr, JFJr
that just gave me a chill :D

thebigjimsho
10-03-11, 10:08 PM
brain borked.

tedcmiller
10-04-11, 12:46 AM
Tuna, As I said I don't know one Corvette from another. Your statements regarding tire sizes for the various Corvettes might or might not be correct. I really don't care. I don't intend to look at this is thread again. If you or any other experts on tire sizes know of any one who makes a full set of run-flats that match the sizes provided on the CTS-V, please let me, and the others who are interested, know who they are. You will have to start a new thread to do so, because, I have said, I don't intend to look at this thread again.

khoeysr
10-04-11, 04:48 PM

Let me know if this wasn't clear.

C'mon man, let it out. :-)

JimmyH
10-04-11, 06:55 PM
I don't intend to look at this thread again.

He ends every post he makes with this sentence. I think it should be his user title.

Jpjr
10-04-11, 11:43 PM
Wow! I got 18,000 miles on my GY run-flats, and liked them. So much for different driving styles.

Jud

Honestly, you should call Goodyear and inform them you got 12k more miles out of thier tires than anyone else in history. :)

The PS2s wear very poorly and they have lasted me 3x longer.

The Hankooks wear like the PS2s but cost half as much and have 90% of the dry grip.

JFJr
10-05-11, 09:55 AM
Honestly, you should call Goodyear and inform them you got 12k more miles out of thier tires than anyone else in history. :)

The PS2s wear very poorly and they have lasted me 3x longer.

The Hankooks wear like the PS2s but cost half as much and have 90% of the dry grip.I've had 4 sets between C4 and C5 Corvettes, and 2005 V1, and 18,000 miles is typical wear for them when I can't rotate the wheels; 40,000 miles when I can. I don't live in the past and expect technology to produce even better run-flats in the future. Also, I still work for a living and travel a lot in my car. That's where my preference for run-flats comes from.

Jud

Tuna
10-05-11, 10:35 AM
I've had run flats on all my C5 and C6 Corvettes and on my V1. The earlier versions were not so good. Newer run flats are a lot better. If you drive out of town some, they can be a real life saver if you cut a tire as you can keep on driving and not have to mount a spare or call AAA.
Each tire company has different ratings as to how far they can or should be driven without air pressure. The lower the distance, the softer the side wall and the better riding and feeling tire you will have. The first generation GY run flats used on the C4 were rated for 100 miles w/o air - they were also hard and noisy. Second generation GY run flats are 100 mile tires - less hard and less noisy.
Michelin and most other tire companies rate their tires for only 50 miles w/o air and that makes them feel better than the GY tires. Most also require that the tire be replaced after running it flat for that distance. GY says that their tires can be repaired in some cases.
All run flats are not created equal.
If my car does not have a spare (like the Vettes), they will have run flats.
My V2 has a spare tire kit.

mberisha
10-05-11, 05:43 PM
He ends every post he makes with this sentence. I think it should be his user title.

I agree Jimmy....however...I don't think he'll ever know about his suggested user title since he "doesn't intend to look at the thread again" :eyebrow:

Thrill6
10-06-11, 01:35 AM
I have the Michelin PS2 AS ZP's on my Corvette and they are terrific!!! I've had the Michelins on for almost a year and they are night and day difference. Much quieter, better ride, and awesome in the rain and cold. I wanted to put them on my V, but they have only runflats for the rear, and NON runflats for the front. Pretty weird that they don't make a set of the PS2 AS for the V2 since the PS2 Sports are the OEM tire. I wanted the AS tires since the V is my DD. I guess I'll have to drive the Corvette to work when it snows. :D