: change spark plugs, 1989 seville 4.5

FrankHgh
09-28-11, 06:39 PM
what are some ideas/recommendation to change spark plugs?

watajob
09-29-11, 05:17 AM
Unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones.

Sevillian273
09-29-11, 01:47 PM
:histeric:

Actually, anyone who tells you this job isnt a pain in the ass is LYING and needs an ego adjustment.

Obviously the 4 facing you when you open the hood are dead simple... Its the rear 4 that are a pain. You have 2 options: Access them from underneath with the car on ramps, or disconnect the heater hoses at the tee and reach around the rocker cover from above.

I like to use both options, getting at 2, 4, and 6 from underneath and 8 from above.

BTW, #8 is a mutherfocker. :thumbsup:

STS_Seville_Hunter
09-30-11, 01:21 PM
? I never need to disconnect the heater hoses to get em from the top. Difficult but not as hard as say timing belt replacement on the DOHC 3.4 Lumina.

ehall
09-30-11, 07:14 PM
last time I replaced mine on the 4.1 I did them from the top, it was kind of irritating but not that hard

drewsdeville
09-30-11, 09:44 PM
I honestly don't find these that hard either. You have to use the Braille method, but they are accessible without any other disassembly (I hang the heater hoses out of the way with a bungee or wire), specialty tooling or goofy extension/swivel combinations. Pull the wire off, feel around for the plug, stick the socket on it and pull it out.

Sevillian273
09-30-11, 09:57 PM
Still a pain in the ass. Predominately the left cheek.

HUF
10-03-11, 09:30 PM
It is not as hard as you could think. To me, the hardest part was pulling off the original wire boots. Turn them several times before pulling. The rear plugs are not that bad. Just lay across teh engine and trust rather your fingers than the eyes because you cannot see them. :)

If it were easier, that engine would not qualify for Cadillac engine. :)