: Brake [After] Install Question

ELES6CTS
09-28-11, 11:24 AM
I recently installed my J-hook rotors and Racing Brake pads, and I have a couple of questions. I cannot seem to get the pins, that hold the pads in to hammer all the way through. The pins are through both pads and into the other side of the caliper, but the inside (closest to center of vehicle) part of the pin seems to have some kind of washer that wont hammer in. Is this a problem if I cannot get it all the way in? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, the rear pads seemed to be much more difficult to put in, even with the caliper pistons pushed all the way in. After I drove on it, it seems to have left a lot of pad residue across the rotor face, almost like it dragged across it. I didn't drive on it very long. Will this be something that goes away with time?

Thanks,
Shawn

Aurora40
09-28-11, 11:32 AM
The pins only go in until they are about flush/slightly raised from the front caliper face. Are they in that far?

For the rears, it sounds like the pads are too thick or something.

ELES6CTS
09-28-11, 05:16 PM
It just doesn't appear the pins are completely flush like they were before.

CancerJCC
09-28-11, 06:40 PM
I recently installed my J-hook rotors and Racing Brake pads, and I have a couple of questions. I cannot seem to get the pins, that hold the pads in to hammer all the way through. The pins are through both pads and into the other side of the caliper, but the inside (closest to center of vehicle) part of the pin seems to have some kind of washer that wont hammer in. Is this a problem if I cannot get it all the way in? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, the rear pads seemed to be much more difficult to put in, even with the caliper pistons pushed all the way in. After I drove on it, it seems to have left a lot of pad residue across the rotor face, almost like it dragged across it. I didn't drive on it very long. Will this be something that goes away with time?

Thanks,
Shawn

All pads "drag" against the rotor slightly. This is perfectly normal and not something to worry about. The pads are always in slight contact with the rotor.

PISNUOFF
09-28-11, 06:51 PM
It's possible the j-hook rotors are a little thicker than stock and the pads are on the thick side of the spec (assuming u replaced them with new ones). I always tap on the pins from the inside with a punch to make sure they are fully seated. As I recall, the rear ones protrude out past the caliper face and the front ones are closer to being flush. I'm sure that mine protrude the same amount on the same caliper. Make sure the holes aren't blocked with junk and you're not getting hung up on the metal pad hold down.

ELES6CTS
09-28-11, 09:33 PM
I dont know how I would get a punch on the inside. How hard did you have to hit the pin to get it in?

darkman
09-28-11, 10:00 PM
I dont know how I would get a punch on the inside. How hard did you have to hit the pin to get it in?

I think by "inside" Pisnuoff means from behind the caliper. You should not have to hit the pin hard as it is not a press fit, but if it is under tension from some sort of interference there can be some resistance.

ELES6CTS
09-28-11, 10:08 PM
I'll try and oush down on the clip while hitting the back of the pin with a rubber mallet and see if that works. I'm worried about the pins or metal clip flying out if they arent seated all the way. I have to admit the rotors do look good though.

darkman
09-28-11, 10:17 PM
A rubber mallet may work. I use a punch like Pisnuoff suggested.

ELES6CTS
09-28-11, 10:33 PM
I really need a third hand. One to push that retainer clip down while I use a punch and smack it with a hammer.

lisaanderson
09-29-11, 12:19 AM
A rubber mallet may work.http://godimage.co.cc/thumb/base/images/potter/34/h/eek.gif I use a punch like Pisnuoff suggested.

this may work...

ELES6CTS
09-29-11, 02:53 AM
Alright, I think I got them all seated properly. Here's a pic of everything in.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/skylineawd/photo.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

Aurora40
09-29-11, 11:11 AM
I just tapped the back of the pin with a regular hammer. It is protruding from the caliper the whole time, so it's easy to tap in there.

JDB
09-29-11, 08:48 PM
Get a bigger hammer