: Oil pump prime

aurora guy
09-28-11, 03:12 AM
As i am almost done with the rebuild of my 97 4.0l. The way primed my 3.8 when i rebuilt it. i packed the pump with vasilene and turned it over a few times then started and it worked fine. i was wondering if there were anybetter ways to prime a northstar oil pump ? Also what is the proper tourqe and instalation of the harmonic balencer ?

thanks

ternstes
09-28-11, 07:47 AM
Some people do that on the northstar as well. Others have recommended overfilling the crankcase with oil to submerge the pump in oil on initial start and then draining the excess oil. When I rebuilt my friend's 97 STS, we just cranked for 20s a few times with the ignition coils unplugged. After that, it fired right up with no oil pressure warning.

I believe the torque on the 97 4.6L was 30 ft/lbs plus an additional 120 degrees. The service manual does also indicate to put a few drops of fresh oil on the balancer bolt threads.

aurora guy
09-28-11, 10:43 AM
okay sounds great, thank you

maeng9981
09-29-11, 04:45 AM
When I rebuilt my friend's 97 STS, we just cranked for 20s a few times with the ignition coils unplugged. After that, it fired right up with no oil pressure warning.

I believe the torque on the 97 4.6L was 30 ft/lbs plus an additional 120 degrees. The service manual does also indicate to put a few drops of fresh oil on the balancer bolt threads.

I used a similar method. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked for 30 seconds. Did it one more time, but shorter. Put the fuse back and it started right up. No oil pressure warning.

Also the factory torque spec for the harmonic balancer bolt:

First pass; tighten it to 37 ft·lbs.
Second pass; tighten additional 120 degrees.