: Black Diamond Paint Finish

rcl4668
09-27-11, 08:00 PM
Hey all. I'm new to the forum but look forward to enjoying what looks like a great resource for enthusiasts.

I'm thinking of purchasing a CTS-V most likely a sport wagon in the next year or two (2012-2013 model). Question: I am leaning toward the opulent blue, raven black or black diamond exterior colors. I'm intrigued by the Black Diamond finish but have not had a chance to see one in person as opposed to online pictures. For those who own this color or have seen one in person is the effect subtle or is it fairly bright/flashy? Also, any issues with repair with this finish? For example, I always buy a bottle of touch up paint but would it be even possible to touch up the Spectraflair finish or would it require a special repair? Also, I am in the Portland Ore. area. Does anyone own a car with this finish in the area?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

/Rich

lilred
09-27-11, 09:36 PM
I have a 2012 sedan in Black Diamond and it is both subtle and flashy. It mostly depends on the light. When the sun is shining bright, the car sparkles like a diamond and really appears to be more of a dark graphite gray vs. a black. When the lighting is low it appears to be more of a flat color. Sometimes it almost looks like it is dirty or covered in pollen if the light is low. Overall I'm happy with the color, it hides dirt better than a regular black. I considered Opulent Blue but after seeing it on a regular CTS it just didn't strike me as a good color for the V. I definitely didn't want Raven Black as I had straight black cars for 11 years. Can't say anything on the touch up as I only have about 650 miles on it.

smackdownCTSV
09-27-11, 09:49 PM
Go with the Black Diamond and don't look back. Keep in mind it's an expensive option, but comes loaded with lots of goodies. I also recommend the suede.

Wayne5w
09-27-11, 10:29 PM
I've got Black Diamond. Had the car for 4 months. I love it but I think it's a personal thing. I get a lot of really positive comments from people about the paint job. People can't seem to believe it is a factory paint job. The It's like two paint jobs in one. I am in Monterey and we get lots of fog. When there is no sun it looks a lot like a raven black but when the sun is out the metallic is really bright. I was going back and forth between this paint and black raven in the showroom. So happy I chose this. Hides the dirt better than raven black as well.

It has some water spots when I got it from the dealer and then got a bunch more when a golf course decided to water my car. We have notoriously hard water here. I had to buff it to get rid of the water spots and then had a ton of swirl marks. Shows the swirl marks like crazy. I was able to use Scratch X to get rid of the swirl so it's totally cherry now, much better than when it was sitting on the dealer lot. I do expect real repair will be a pain in the butt.

Regards,
---Wayne.

M5eater
09-27-11, 10:49 PM
I have a 2012 sedan in Black Diamond and it is both subtle and flashy. It mostly depends on the light. When the sun is shining bright, the car sparkles like a diamond and really appears to be more of a dark graphite gray vs. a black. When the lighting is low it appears to be more of a flat color. Sometimes it almost looks like it is dirty or covered in pollen if the light is low. Overall I'm happy with the color, it hides dirt better than a regular black. I considered Opulent Blue but after seeing it on a regular CTS it just didn't strike me as a good color for the V. I definitely didn't want Raven Black as I had straight black cars for 11 years. Can't say anything on the touch up as I only have about 650 miles on it.

pretty much sums it up.

OB and BR look good all the time, BD looks GREAT in perfect lighting, and sort of blah the rest of the time. You'd think it was a black raven in cloudy weather.

Also, any issues with repair with this finish? For example, I always buy a bottle of touch up paint but would it be even possible to touch up the Spectraflair finish or would it require a special repair? Also, I am in the Portland Ore. area. Does anyone own a car with this finish in the area?
Amazingly, the Dealer bodyshop has already had to spray a small portion of my rear bumper and it actually came out pretty good. My confidence for larger areas is very small, but I was very pleased and satisfied with their matching.

The paint is a 2-stage color, anything beyond rock chips is never going to look right again with touch-up paint. The flake pattern that the spray gun gives will just never match. The chips I've had repaired with black paint blend into the flake well enough for them to be mostly invisible.

This is somewhat of a good/bad thing though, as there's so much flake that scratches are practically invisible. It's partially the reason I've been going back and forth with my dealer-- defects are simply invisible unless in certain lighting.

rcl4668
10-02-11, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the great replies!

daveinsweethome
10-02-11, 08:19 PM
Hey all. I'm new to the forum but look forward to enjoying what looks like a great resource for enthusiasts.

I'm thinking of purchasing a CTS-V most likely a sport wagon in the next year or two (2012-2013 model). Question: I am leaning toward the opulent blue, raven black or black diamond exterior colors. I'm intrigued by the Black Diamond finish but have not had a chance to see one in person as opposed to online pictures. For those who own this color or have seen one in person is the effect subtle or is it fairly bright/flashy? Also, any issues with repair with this finish? For example, I always buy a bottle of touch up paint but would it be even possible to touch up the Spectraflair finish or would it require a special repair? Also, I am in the Portland Ore. area. Does anyone own a car with this finish in the area?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

/Rich

wow, rich i live in sweet home about 90 miles from you and just got my 2012 v coupe in black diamond 10 days ago. i also detail cars professionally in my retirement. the paint is a little subtle in shade or overcast but pops in direct sunlight. something we dont get enough of in oregon. it takes on different hues, ie when sunlite filtered through the tail lights the diamond effect was a pronounced red effect. generally it is more of a pearlescent appearance. i would say as a detailer that it will be much harder to repair paint chips than normal ones. finally, i would be glad to let you see the car. my e mail address is davepoto@yahoo.com

cjung
10-04-11, 01:13 PM
I've got Black Diamond. Had the car for 4 months. I love it but I think it's a personal thing. I get a lot of really positive comments from people about the paint job. People can't seem to believe it is a factory paint job. The It's like two paint jobs in one. I am in Monterey and we get lots of fog. When there is no sun it looks a lot like a raven black but when the sun is out the metallic is really bright. I was going back and forth between this paint and black raven in the showroom. So happy I chose this. Hides the dirt better than raven black as well.

It has some water spots when I got it from the dealer and then got a bunch more when a golf course decided to water my car. We have notoriously hard water here. I had to buff it to get rid of the water spots and then had a ton of swirl marks. Shows the swirl marks like crazy. I was able to use Scratch X to get rid of the swirl so it's totally cherry now, much better than when it was sitting on the dealer lot. I do expect real repair will be a pain in the butt.

Regards,
---Wayne.

Wayne...i have a tip for you. Never buff out the water spots. Mix a solution of 50/50 distilled water and vinegar. It will take the water spots off...no problem. Then just follow that with a rinse of distilled water...and a wax. Give it a try.