: Oil Leaking from "Everywhere"

Enigmaticwraith
09-27-11, 04:38 PM
Hi. I have a 1993 DeVille which I just took in to have my new struts installed, and while they had it I asked them to see if they could find the source of an oil leak that I've had for a while. The car has 251500ish miles on it, however the engine only has about 35000, and it is a re-manufactured Jasper engine. They told me that it was leaking from "everywhere" and the engine seals needed to be replaced and it would be about $3800 for just the labor to fix it. Does this sound like a reasonable price, and any ideas on why this would happen with only 35000 miles on the engine?

aeronca36606
09-27-11, 05:11 PM
Sounds to me that they don't want to mess with it. $3800? Are you kidding? That is totally outrageous! You need to go to a real mechanic that will take the time to find the leaks. Worst case the pan gasket, Front and Rear Main Seals, Valve Cover seals,and Intake manifold seals would need to be replaced. You may also have a pressure line or Oil filter adapter or Oil pressure Switch leaking. It is leaking everywhere is a cop out. A good mechanic will be able to find the real problem. I HATE when people are given answers like this. If you don't want to do the work, Tell the customer this. Don't mislead them.

Remove and replace the engine in your car is i believe a 10 hour book. 10 hours times $75.00 per hour equals $750.00 labour plus fluids and small parts. Once the engine is out anu gasket can be changed easily. Parts for an entire Gasket set including head gaskets is under $200.00. Add the labour to actually replace the seals on the removed engine of at most 2 hours and you still come no ware close to $3800.

R & R the engine 10 hours @ $75.00/Hour = $750
Parts $300
Labour for actual gasket replacement 2 hours @ $75/Hour = $150
Total Worst case Price = $1200
Adjust up for higher Labour rate.
$3800 #$@% ?
Even at $150 per Hour you are still looking at $2100 Worst case!

You will probably find that a good mechanic will find the bad seal or gaskets and fix it for under $500.

dennis93coupe
09-28-11, 11:44 AM
QUOTE=Enigmaticwraith;2728370]Hi. I have a 1993 DeVille which I just took in to have my new struts installed, and while they had it I asked them to see if they could find the source of an oil leak that I've had for a while. The car has 251500ish miles on it, however the engine only has about 35000, and it is a re-manufactured Jasper engine. They told me that it was leaking from "everywhere" and the engine seals needed to be replaced and it would be about $3800 for just the labor to fix it. Does this sound like a reasonable price, and any ideas on why this would happen with only 35000 miles on the engine?[/QUOTE]
:jawdrop: :shocked: :wtf: Where in California is this dealer? What did they quote you on the new struts? Too bad I don't have a shop nearby....

Enigmaticwraith
09-28-11, 12:07 PM
California is this dealer? What did they quote you on the new struts? Too bad I don't have a shop nearby....

The dealer is in Petaluma (just north of San Francisco), and they quoted $621 for the struts. I'm looking for someone else right now to do the seals...

dennis93coupe
09-28-11, 12:47 PM
The dealer is in Petaluma (just north of San Francisco), and they quoted $621 for the struts. I'm looking for someone else right now to do the seals...
Did they do all four, front and rear? Did this include the struts, or did you furnish them?

Enigmaticwraith
09-28-11, 02:26 PM
Did they do all four, front and rear? Did this include the struts, or did you furnish them?

They did all four, and I gave them the struts. They took 10% off since they did the alignment too.

dennis93coupe
09-28-11, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'd look for another reputable shop to look at your engine. It might need a good cleaning to determine what needs sealed. Alot of leaks can be fixed in the car without pulling engine.

aeronca36606
09-28-11, 04:59 PM
The timing chain cover gasket would probably be the most difficult to replace in the car. These don't generally leak though. Even the rear main seal can be done by removing the Transmission and doesn't need engine removal. I used the R & R of the engine as the Worst case. $3800 could probably get you a rebuilt engine installed.

Enigmaticwraith
09-30-11, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the advice about the repairs, I'll find someone to do them eventually. However, I am still curious as to whether you think this was from normal wear, or if there is an underlying problem, since the engine only has 35,000 miles on it.

dennis93coupe
09-30-11, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't think so, not after 35,000. My valve covers started leaking at 100k, but I didn't think that was too bad. I guess you need to find where it is leaking from and go from there.