: Rear Axle Front Bushing

xcaliber50
09-27-11, 09:26 AM
The dealer is saying i need to have this part replaced. Is this something that would be come with the new axle upgrades? He is wanting about $860 to do the work. What do you think, reasonable price?

Thanks

darkman
09-27-11, 09:43 AM
The dealer is saying i need to have this part replaced. Is this something that would be come with the new axle upgrades? He is wanting about $860 to do the work. What do you think, reasonable price?

Thanks

That part description makes no sense to me since the axle is lateral and has no front or rear. I also don't know of any part associated with the axle that carries the "bushing" designation.

kevm14
09-27-11, 09:46 AM
Diff bushing perhaps?

MotorMounts
09-27-11, 10:59 AM

Thanks

The service guy at the dealership probably just referred to the whole rear diff assembly as the "rear axle", was easier for him to write, especially if he was used to solid axle cars.
NO NO NO, $860 for a rear diff bushing replacement is not a reasonable price, if you were in Oregon I would do it for half of that and then laugh all the way to the bank, actually we do them in our shop for $200. Best bang for the buck.... Find an independent shop, buy our bushing for $65, rent our tool for $25. The tool comes with instructions printed on 8 1/2 X 11 laminated photos on how to replace the bushing with the differential still in the car (takes about an hour), unlike the factory service manual that says the rear diff must be removed from the car (5 hours of shop rate labor) in order to perform the repair on the work bench. This is what is causing the $860 price tag.
I wonder how many people pay the dealership prices for diff bushing replacements, what a racket.

Our contact info is below

xcaliber50
09-27-11, 03:16 PM
Hey all, thanks for the help. I was just going by what he described to me over the phone. My description might not have been totally correct. Turns out the part was covered under the powertrain warranty, which is a big relief. When I had made this post the dealer had said he had to "look in" whether it would be covered. Had it not been coveerd I would have asked him to fill out an estimate that included a better description along with the GM part number.

Since the car has 95k mile on it I asked that he check for anything that looks worn that would be covered under that 100k warranty (motor mounts?). Hope he's nice enough to do that for me.

Thanks again for your help.