: Autoweek Review on 2012 SRX

mm9351
09-26-11, 09:04 PM
Latest issue of Autoweek reports that the new 3.6L V6 in the '12 SRX outperforms the old V8, with 0-60 observed times of 7.6 seconds (FWD). They tested both the FWD and AWD versions, but in both cases the suspension did an "impressive job" of controlling roll, dive, and squat, and claimed that the SRX "easily outhandles" the Lexus RX350. Cadillac sold more than 50,000 units last year, and in all liklihood, could well exceed that figure with the incoming version. Overall, a very positive review from Autoweek!

PJ1520
09-27-11, 03:32 PM
Sorry mm, but Autoweek is misinformed. Reminds me of Tom Cruise in Top Gun when he said "The data on the MiG (28) is innacurate." :) I don't mean to stir up the pot, but......

More than just a couple of reputable automotive magazines testing the First Generation RWD SRX with the 4.6L Northstar V8 recorded times a full second quicker to 60MPH than 7.6 seconds. And in an Edmund's review of the 07, they indirectly quoted Cadillac's own test numbers at 6.2 seconds for the RWD and 6.9 seconds for the heavier AWD version. Either way, independent testing or Cadillac's "marketing" numbers, that's quite a bit quicker to 60 than what Autoweek states for the GenI with the Northstar V8. The GenII 2.8L turbo wasn't as fast as the GenI N* either.

Somewhere in this forum's GenI SRX archives, a poster provided a link to one magazine's comparitive information, including 0-60 data, stacking the SRX against all of the SUVs and CUVs within the SRX's size/market segment. At that point in time, none of the competitors were as quick as the GenI RWD N* SRX. None, regardless of brand.

The only qualifier I would like to make is how much of a spread you will find in 0-60 numbers in general. These can vary depending on such things as altitude, temperature, air density, other track conditions, the driver, the method of launch at the starting line, and the vehicle's odometer mileage at the time of the test.

PJ

PS: If my memory serves me correctly, at the end of their long term test Edumunds observed an increase in the top end of their N* from 141MPH to 144MPH. Those were not Cadillac's numbers!

algiorda
09-27-11, 09:49 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110727/CARREVIEWS/110729888

PJ1520
09-28-11, 12:38 PM
Latest issue of Autoweek reports that the new 3.6L V6 in the '12 SRX outperforms the old V8, with 0-60 observed times of 7.6 seconds (FWD). They tested both the FWD and AWD versions, but in both cases the suspension did an "impressive job" of controlling roll, dive, and squat, and claimed that the SRX "easily outhandles" the Lexus RX350. Cadillac sold more than 50,000 units last year, and in all liklihood, could well exceed that figure with the incoming version. Overall, a very positive review from Autoweek!

mm.............are we looking at the wrong article? The article doesn't mention the comparison to the the GenI SRX.

PJ

smiley47
09-28-11, 12:55 PM
mm.............are we looking at the wrong article? The article doesn't mention the comparison to the the GenI SRX.

PJ

PJ you are correct. That part of the article was not clearly written, IMO. If we didn't know better you might think that after reading the article that the "old V8" was an earlier Gen II engine which along with the old V6 was replaced by the 3.6.