: stock cam specs?

NickJ
10-28-04, 01:29 PM
anyone know what the stock cam specs are for the 472/500's? i havent had any luck finding this info. im curious what they are for all the different years and versions of these engines. if you know them or know where i can find them on the net, would you let me know.

thanks,
Nick J

primerandflames
10-29-04, 10:59 AM
Nick, I would check your local library for this info. Most have old Chitons as referenece manuals. Or buy a Haynes manual off ebay for $3.

Garry

caddycarlo
11-04-04, 12:34 AM
though there is some changes the cams are mostly the same if you are looking for more power a bigger one is in order..

NickJ
11-04-04, 11:33 PM
so then the specs are not posted anywhere online? i just need to find out the specifics of the stock cams offered in big cadillac engines. i thought maybe someone would have a book that listed them or knew of a website that has them on it.

thanks,
Nick J

caddycarlo
11-05-04, 12:41 AM
why do you need them they are not ment to make any power over 2000 rpm

DaveSmed
11-05-04, 12:45 AM
Intake lift: .454
Exhaust lift: .440

Intake Opens: 18o BTDC
Intake Closes: 114o ABDC
Exhaust Opens: 70o BBDC
Exhaust Closes: 58o ATDC

Out of my FSM for a '68

caddycarlo
11-05-04, 10:58 AM
like I said most are close to the same ...... the 76 specs I have are 115 1/2 lobe center 198/202 at .050 .440/453 lift installed 4 degrees retarded ..... my worry is that he thinks that the early hp rating for the motor was due to a cam and it is not ...... for the most part the cam changed very little thru the life of the motor 68-76 472 and 500 ..... the perpose of the small cam was a very smooth idle high vac for breaks and such and peak torque of like 2000 rpm the draw back is that it killed a lot of power that this motor could make and even MTS mt-10 would work in a driver caddy and pick up some power if it has to be smooth a mt-5 is just a notch above stock .......

NickJ
11-05-04, 06:04 PM
caddycarlo,
as ive stated in some of my earlier posts. im building a 500 caddy for a circle track engine in a stock division for my 76 seville. i need to know the specs of a stock cam so that i know what kind of lift and such that i can get away with. i cannot put a radical lift cam in the engine. when they test the cam they just make sure it has the same lift, and sound of a stock engine. also i was just kinda curious of what they were. as is obvious i can find a ton of information of what i should put in there, just like you kept posting but i found it impossible to find stock specs on the cam. ive never had so much trouble getting a straight answer.

i guess i might get farther asking what the biggest cam was that came stock in any bigblock caddy motor.

thanks,
Nick J

caddycarlo
11-05-04, 09:09 PM
when you put it that way I know what you need and can help which was all I was after ..... the 76 cam I have specs for is 265/271 lobe lift the general replacement cam is .267/.275 lobe lift like i said most of the caddy cams are with in .020 of this lift ... but if you have trouble finding the info then they should too .... there are some nice cams lobes with .300 lobe lift and if ground on a wide lobe center so as to not have much overlap should help the motor run better .