: Under the hood, which is what and connected to ?

notease
09-26-11, 02:27 PM
I am cleaning up and building up my Caddy 368 Engine on the deVille Stretched i just bought,
Still looking for some hints and some text

See the photo below (i took from someone else :)) :

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/nielsht/Cadillac%20deVille%20Stretched/Cadillac0841.jpg

What is the "thing" encircled in Red ?
And where does the Green Hose connect to exactly?

And what about the green hose, i assume it goes to the Heater Core (with Valve) does the other end goes the upper part of radiator or lower hose ?
And any guess about the Blue Hose, doe this one goes directly too the coolant outlet on the back side of the Block ?

Thanks in advance for any shed-a-light in this darkness :)

sven914
09-26-11, 03:39 PM
It isn't exceptionally clear as to what is connected where. Maybe you could take a closer picture.

The white object in front of the blue looks like the vacuum switch for the fuel economy monitoring system.

notease
09-27-11, 03:59 AM
It is the non-4-6-8 V8 engine, so it does not have the MPG monitoring future.

sven914
09-27-11, 11:20 AM
All 1980 cars had a non V8-6-4 engine and all had a fuel economy monitoring system...

I'm not talking about the digital trip computer (available in '81); the monitoring system used in '80 was just two lights on the telltale. There should be a green dot and an amber dot that turn on and off in relation to how much you rev the engine.

notease
09-27-11, 01:21 PM
Where are these amber and green lights located ?
What is exactly `telltale´ ?
I think my model does not have these feature ?
What about rest of connections ?

BigCadMan_1
09-27-11, 06:43 PM
It looks like the A.I.R. diverter valve for the smog pump, but if I am wrong I am sure someone here will chime in. your best bet is to get a Factory Service Manual like these ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Cadillac-All-Series-Models-Service-Repair-Manual-/200636691558?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2eb6e0f466 OR http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Cadillac-Service-Manuals-DeVille-Eldorado-Seville-/180648186504?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2a0f789288 telltale lights are the little lights on your dash that tell you (Via the light) when your car (engine) is doing something or trying to warn you, like "Car leveling" "STOP Engine Temp" "Low Oil Press" & they always come on after a catastrophic failure....very helpful indeed!!

sven914
09-27-11, 11:11 PM
Where are these amber and green lights located ?
What is exactly `telltale´ ?
I think my model does not have these feature ?
What about rest of connections ?

The telltale is the bar on the dash that has all of the warning lamps. The amber and green lights are located in a cell between the Trunk and Washer lamps; if you shine a flashlight on that area, you can see the two dots. The system was standard equipment on all de Ville and Fleetwood Brougham models, but many times they were disconnected at the owner's request.

jayoldschool
09-27-11, 11:44 PM
Limos often got (or didn't get) options that were different than regular cars. Perhaps his doesn't have the fuel minder stuff.

sven914
09-28-11, 12:17 AM
Could be... But his started life as regular de Ville, so the system should have been installed. It could have been disconnected by the coach builder or it just died from old age.

But the real point to be made is that we need a better picture, so we can tell what is actually highlighted in green and circled in red.

pompste
09-30-11, 04:35 AM
Could you post pics of your entire Deville--stretch and all? And some closer pics of the engine would help.

notease
10-01-11, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your replys!
Indeed it seems the thing in red is the AIR Diverter valve,
The amber-green dots never seems them work in short time i got the car so maybe it doesnt have this option.
Will post some more pics very soon!