: Steering Clicking/Popping?

bankboy
10-28-04, 12:27 PM
Hey guys. I'm noticing a strange click or pop when turning the wheel hard at lower speeds, like parking or pulling out of my driveway. Usually happens when the wheel is turned to lock. Searched the forum for similar problem but couldn't find any. Thoughts?

Mike

slk230mb
10-28-04, 01:44 PM
Had the same problem on my 2002. Mine was the ball joint, I would have it looked at by the dealership. Mine was covered under warranty.

Oh, and :welcome:

GMike
10-28-04, 02:21 PM
Do you have larger or wider wheels? If so, it may be rubbing against the plastic liner inside the wheel well. Just a thought...mine does it with 285/50 R20 tires.

Side not, I just switched back to factory wheels for the winter, mileage went from 14.7mpg to 16.3mpg in mixed driving.

Retro adidas
10-28-04, 02:57 PM
I have the exact same problem on my '03 Escalade. I just had it serviced and they replaced something in the steering shaft, but the clicking is still there. I too always hear it when backing out of the driveway or out of a parking space.

Keep us informed on what you find out!

RaGzEmCeE
10-28-04, 08:51 PM
i have the same exact problem on my 2004 and it makes realllllllly weird noises after i turn it off

Sycosis
10-29-04, 10:28 AM
Clicking when making turns usually is indicative of bad CV joints on the AWD models.

bankboy
10-29-04, 10:43 AM
I have the standard 17 inch wheels and tires and the truck is 4x2.

If I'm backing out of a spot, after I stop, put the truck in drive, and begin to turn the wheel the other way, there is a pronounced click. Never happens when i'm in motion, or when I hit any bumps. Its really starting to bother me.....guess I have a trip to dealer in my future.

Sta11ion
10-29-04, 03:37 PM
I have the same problem awd escalade also a friend the same thing the dealer will tell you its normal. Really bothers me as well, the more I have the trunk the more its starting to get me going so many flaws but no corrections.

03whiteext
10-29-04, 11:33 PM
my ext was doing the same thing after 8 trips to the dealer they put a 1/8th inch shim in the driver side front body bolt (between frame and body) it has solved the problem for months now. below is a link to the whole process :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16845

caddycruiser
10-30-04, 11:36 AM
This is such a common full-size GM truck issue, almost every owner has experienced some sort of steering clunk/pop. Our '02 Avalanche did it very, very slightly, but our '04 Suburban is much worse. It's usually related to components in the steering system, like the intermediate shaft.

J&J CADI
10-30-04, 12:54 PM
I have the same problem wirh my 2003 Escalade 17200 miles.
I will keep you all posted on the outcome after I take it to the dealership next week.