: Noise at Wide Open Throttle

daowens
09-25-11, 10:14 PM
There's a rapid clicking noise that I can hear when I'm at WOT. It's not real loud so I'm not sure if it's a concern. I can only hear it when I punch it. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!

GMX322V S/C
09-26-11, 03:30 AM
Hopefully not detonation! Take it easy, empty the tank by putting around and try a fresh tank of some other Tier 1 premium gasoline.

daowens
09-26-11, 04:58 PM
It kinda sounds like something is flapping around in there. I have to turn my radio off to hear it.

daowens
09-26-11, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing it could be the isolator coupling. Best place to get a new one? D3? Wait4me?

e6t
09-26-11, 07:06 PM
mine made a lot of noise at WOT too, but mine was isolated to a loose nut behind the steering wheel, "waaah haaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"

Cub Cadet
09-27-11, 08:45 AM
Most likely detonation. keep your foot out of it and baby it until you can re-fill with good gas.
Second issue... does your car have an aftermarket tune? If not, you should not be experiencing this since the computer will throw you into the "lower octane" tables and protect the engine from blowing up. If you have an aftermarket tune, your tuner may have left both fuel tables as "high octane" in which case it cannot compensate and will allow detonation. In any case, detonation is VERY bad for the engine.

daowens
09-27-11, 10:41 AM
I don't think I have a tune. I bought the car used about a month ago. I use Shell 91 octane. I thought this was pretty good fuel.

daowens
09-30-11, 12:33 PM
I put some 94 octane in yesterday so hopefully that will help.

Ross L
09-30-11, 02:49 PM
My isolator also caused a rattle at part and WOT. Replaced it with solid piece and noise is gone. Sounded exactly like detonation but it wasnt. Well, actually was getting a few degree's of knock retard but that wasnt causing the noise(different story). Be careful with installing solid isolator. Mine was too tight and it ruined the snout bearings. It wasnt even fully seated when I pulled the snout(about a 1/4"). Isolator should fit tight BUT you should be able to press it on by hand.

smackdownCTSV
09-30-11, 03:03 PM
Try BP or Mobil.