: Brake problem

falke401
09-25-11, 03:27 PM
I have an 05 CTS-V and and something happened today. I got 2 errors on the radio. The first one is Check brake Fluid and the other is service stability system. The brake fluid level is good. I checked the sensor going into the side of it and it is secure. Has anyone had this error or have any ideas what it could be? I am guessing the brake fluid error is triggering the stability control system to turn off.

darkman
09-25-11, 03:49 PM
Since the brake fluid level is okay and the system says otherwise, I would first suspect the sensor. That particular sensor is relatively inexpensive so I would be tempted to replace it before looking for other possible causes.

falke401
09-25-11, 08:52 PM
Yeah I do NOT want to pull that sensor. If I pull it, it looks like I will have to bleed the brakes and everything. Thats a pain that I dont have time for right now.

darkman
09-25-11, 10:13 PM
As I read the Service Manual bleeding the system after replacing the brake fulid level sensor is not required. See attached.

thebigjimsho
09-26-11, 10:09 AM
darkman strikes again!

mberisha
09-26-11, 10:17 AM
Well.....duh......:halo:

thebigjimsho
09-26-11, 10:31 AM
Besides, bleeding the brakes on these cars are caek. 10 minutes.

falke401
09-26-11, 11:59 AM
Thanks! Great info! Is there a collection of these service manuals online anywhere?

falke401
10-11-11, 02:36 PM
Well the other day I swapped in a new brake fluid level sensor and it did not provide a good fix. Any other ideas on what it could be?

CadzillaTN
10-11-11, 04:46 PM
Besides, bleeding the brakes on these cars are caek. 10 minutes.

Unless you strip a bleeder screw.

darkman
10-11-11, 07:39 PM
Well the other day I swapped in a new brake fluid level sensor and it did not provide a good fix. Any other ideas on what it could be?

My research indicates two possibilities. One is that the issue is in the wiring harness/grounds for the brake fluid level sensor. The other is that the issues lies with another sensor which measures the brake fluid pressure level. I am not able to tell whether the warning on the radio provides for the distinction between the two, such as "Check Brake Fluid Level" as opposed to just "Check Brake Fluid" (perhaps you know).

Assuming the issue is in fact with the brake fluid level indicator, you should check the wiring harness and freshen the grounds under the hood starting with the negative post on the battery, the three grounds located on the back of the two cylinder heads, and the ground located just under lift that holds the hood open. Star washers are your friend on these grounds. (Doing this prevents a number of other issues so it is time well spent.)

The brake fluid pressure sensor is located on the ABS module. Unfortunately, this sensor: (a) has an MRSP of about $100; and (b) does require bleeding the system in cojunction with replacement. Report back if you have reason to believe this is the problem.