: Snow Tires...............Studded or non Studded

shortfur7
09-24-11, 11:05 PM
I am going to be getting a set of steel wheels and snow tires shortly and im trying to decide what ones to get and are there studded options that would work for our cars? I have an 05 V8 RWD.

dkozloski
09-25-11, 12:45 AM
Studded tires are a pain in the a$$. They are illegal in some jurisdictions and prohibited most of the year in others. Get yourself some WS-70 Blizzaks and drive in the snow and ice hassle free.

mckellyb
09-25-11, 07:38 AM
Agreed on studded snows. Studless has come incredibly far, and until it gets warm, they feel like 'normal' tires. Above about 60-65F, you may find they feel 'greasy' on the road. It's just they're meant for cold.

When my wife and I lived in the CO high-country (back in '98-'01), we'd keep the Yokohama Guardex 600 snows on one car until June, which was typically the last big snow. However, in Denver, it was already 90F, so they felt weird. Not dangerous, just odd. If you know what it is, no big deal. The other vehicle was a 4x4 with BFG A/T's on it, so no additional prep was necessary. ;) BFG A/T's are rated as snow tires, believe it or not, and they're good.

Also with studs, you'll be contributing to the so-called 'truck ruts' on roads, which isn't helpful.

It's good to know there is a steel wheel option for these cars, 'cause I'd like to move back to the snow of CO, but I don't want to tear up a second set of alloys.

MacMuse
09-25-11, 06:52 PM
Steelies weren't an option for me a couple years ago due to the offset (I was told).

mckellyb
09-25-11, 06:56 PM
Yeah, steelies had me drooling, but I don't think they exist, save for in a 17 x 4 size....the spare.

I'm all for tall, narrow snows, but that's a bit of overkill.