: Security systems, anti theft, LoJack?

SoCalCTSV
09-24-11, 08:39 PM
What is every one doing?

What is the range of the keyless remote? When I see my Dad, I'm sleeping 30 feet from the car.

dcc8203
09-24-11, 08:52 PM
I am using the Onstar. Didn't see the need to pay extra for lojack, which seems to mimic the protection of Onstar.

The wireless remote range is very short with respect to the auto locking feature. A few feet or so.

neuronbob
09-24-11, 10:46 PM
I am doing nothing outside of paying for OnStar. That is why I pay for insurance.

BTW...LoJack and OnStar work differently and the service is not exactly mimicked...LoJack uses a radio transmitter and OnStar uses a cell signal unless things have changed. OnStar is therefore useless in a deep garage, while LoJack might be more useful. It depends on what you are willing to spend and how important the car is to you. While my car is important to me, I have insurance for if the car is stolen....and I'll move on to the next....V or other car.

GM-4-LIFE
09-25-11, 06:20 PM
Who is stealing Cadillac CTS-Vs? I don't think the production and/or sales numbers are high enough to consider them targets for car thieves.

GMX322V S/C
09-26-11, 03:38 AM
I am doing nothing outside of paying for OnStar. That is why I pay for insurance.

BTW...LoJack and OnStar work differently and the service is not exactly mimicked...LoJack uses a radio transmitter and OnStar uses a cell signal unless things have changed. OnStar is therefore useless in a deep garage, while LoJack might be more useful. It depends on what you are willing to spend and how important the car is to you. While my car is important to me, I have insurance for if the car is stolen....and I'll move on to the next....V or other car.

I did get LoJack because it is a different system; with the current built-in immobilizer, I figure only someone that REALLY wanted my car could steal it--and ANY other car they wanted that badly, for that matter...

undertaker
09-26-11, 05:29 PM
lojack is really old news.

put it this way, 80 cop cars in the county I work, not one has a lojack unit.....and its not the local pd's its the state ones that haven't had a unit in 5-8 years

GM-4-LIFE
09-26-11, 07:40 PM

put it this way, 80 cop cars in the county I work, not one has a lojack unit.....and its not the local pd's its the state ones that haven't had a unit in 5-8 years

I agree. Lojack is old news and old technology. I wouldn't waste the money. If my V gets stolen, it gives me a good excuse to get a new one!

GMX322V S/C
09-27-11, 12:42 AM

put it this way, 80 cop cars in the county I work, not one has a lojack unit.....and its not the local pd's its the state ones that haven't had a unit in 5-8 yearsPerhaps in the county where you work, but still effective in Southern California, where it's relevant to me. From January of this year: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/three-major-recoveries-in-three-days-highlight-the-effectiveness-of-the-lojack-stolen-vehicle-recovery-system-81750282.html

undertaker
09-27-11, 01:20 AM
I guess, but NYC I figured to be a major market as well, its funny how the article states that 59% of vehicles have lojack....

I don't know of anyone with lojack....

SoCalCTSV
09-27-11, 01:49 AM
I guess, but NYC I figured to be a major market as well, its funny how the article states that 59% of vehicles have lojack....

I don't know of anyone with lojack....

Its like fight club. We don't talk about it.

1madstsv
09-27-11, 08:50 AM
I have lojack on my v $700 one time unlike onstar. And if xm raido will not work in my garage neither will onstar. Plus I don't need onstar watching my every move. if I want to drive 160mph I don't need onstar telling me I'm speeding.

Thrill6
09-27-11, 02:06 PM
Actually OnStar works just fine without a clear view of the sky. The biggest advantage of the factory Nav is that it works when GPS signals are not available by using car speed and direction and your last known GPS fix. OnStar uses the same info for a location. The further you travel without a GPS signal the more inaccurate it gets, but it is still more accurate than LoJack which uses signal direction finding and which is not accurate at all unless you are within couple hundred feet. As long as OnStar has cell reception it can disable the car, give the last know location, and honk the horn and lights so the police can find it. If your car is deep inside a garage where there is no cell reception, LoJack signals won't penetrate either.

It's the very definition of narcissim to believe that out of the millions of OnStar customers that you are important enough to track and then report you to the police for speeding. They have absolutely no reason to care what you are doing, nor any financial incentive to do so. In fact it would COST them money to keep track of your whereabouts.

JimmyH
09-27-11, 05:08 PM
It's the very definition of narcissim to believe that out of the millions of OnStar customers that you are important enough to track and then report you to the police for speeding. They have absolutely no reason to care what you are doing, nor any financial incentive to do so. In fact it would COST them money to keep track of your whereabouts.

:yeah:

neuronbob
09-28-11, 01:40 PM
Who is stealing Cadillac CTS-Vs? I don't think the production and/or sales numbers are high enough to consider them targets for car thieves.

I would have thought the high profile of the car alone would make it a theft magnet, or at least a joyride magnet. I don't have any numbers to back me up, though.

Mr. P.
09-30-11, 05:47 PM
I do drive a theft-magnet (not a CTS-V) and have installed LoJack. The problem with LoJack is the coverage, it is only a good option in a few major metro areas. I happen to live in the middle of the Dallas area, so you have to drive 1/2 to 1-hour in any direction to evade coverage and LoJack has installed towers around the area to triangulate signals. So here the system is a good option. I asked several local cops directly and they told me they love to go on the LoJack calls because they have a very high success rate, and usually they find the vehicle parked in an empty lot because the theives will "stage" the vehicle for 2-3 days until they take it for good so if it does have LoJack the battery will have drained. OTOH if you live in the middle of the Dakotas where there is no coverage then it's not an option, or if you live on the edge of a LoJack area it is possible for the vehicle to be quickly towed outside the coverage area. Anyways all that said, LoJack should not be used alone on the vehicle, you still should install a discrete cel-capable alarm so that you can "call" your car and get it's coordinates, some have also macgyvered a cel burn-phone under the window cowl so that you can dial that phone and get the car's GPS coordinates. I would NOT rely on OnStar for any kind of security, one of the first things a theif does (usually) is disable the external antenna before setting off with your vehicle.

Mr. P.