: Question About Entering Destination Info in Navigation

etexlady
09-24-11, 07:58 PM
I work for a home health agency and some patients live in rural areas in out of the way locations. I've had problems with the Nav accepting the address I am entering especially if it is a location on a numbered road. When I enter the "street" name, such as "Highway 123" or even "123", the Nav puts up a list of numbered roads to select and, more often than not, none of the choices match the one I am searching for. The system will not allow me to enter any alternatives to what it is suggesting with the list. I usually have to resort to MapQuest on my iPhone to get the directions. Seems funny that MapQuest can find the road but the Nav cannot. I'm sure it is operator error but can anyone tell me the correct format to use for entering for numbered roads on the Nav?

sube5186
09-25-11, 12:32 AM
OK, here are a few things I would suggest. First, try entering the road name for the numbered street. Most highway routes also have a name as well. Next, go into your Configuration Menu. Select "Nav", "Map Database Information" and "Coverage". Scroll through the multiple pages of maps until you find your area. Areas highlighted in white have "detailed" coverage. If your area doesn't have detailed coverage, that would explain why it's not finding those streets.

A more accurate method of navigating is to enter the GPS coordinates. Press the "Destination" hard button. Select the "Lat/Long" screen button. Then enter the coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds. The Latitude should be "North" and the longitude should be "West". When using MapQuest, you can "right" click anywhere on the map and it will give you the GPS coordinates for that location. Here's where it gets a little confusing. MapQuest gives you coordinates in "Decimal Degrees". You'll have to convert this to the "Degrees, Minutes & Seconds" format in order to enter it into the SRX's Nav. I found a website (link below) that does this for you. Using the GPS coordinates to find your destination will get your there even if your destination is in the middle of the dessert. It doesn't rely on addresses or even streets (when there are none). I use this method exclusively when I'm trying to get directions to mountain bike trails. They never have a numbered address. It works flawlessly!

http://boulter.com/gps/

Sube

etexlady
09-25-11, 10:15 AM
OK, here are a few things I would suggest. First, try entering the road name for the numbered street. Most highway routes also have a name as well. Next, go into your Configuration Menu. Select "Nav", "Map Database Information" and "Coverage". Scroll through the multiple pages of maps until you find your area. Areas highlighted in white have "detailed" coverage. If your area doesn't have detailed coverage, that would explain why it's not finding those streets.

Sube, thanks for the reply and information. I had no idea about the ability to see coverage for the nav maps via the config menu. After finding my area's map I wonder if there is any way to change the "detailed" coverage areas? I probably won't risk messing with it anyway. I suppose my best bet would be to call onstar for directions since, currently for me, I'm still in the "free" trial.

stevec5375
09-25-11, 10:26 AM
I work for a home health agency and some patients live in rural areas in out of the way locations. I've had problems with the Nav accepting the address I am entering especially if it is a location on a numbered road. When I enter the "street" name, such as "Highway 123" or even "123", the Nav puts up a list of numbered roads to select and, more often than not, none of the choices match the one I am searching for. The system will not allow me to enter any alternatives to what it is suggesting with the list. I usually have to resort to MapQuest on my iPhone to get the directions. Seems funny that MapQuest can find the road but the Nav cannot. I'm sure it is operator error but can anyone tell me the correct format to use for entering for numbered roads on the Nav?

If you have OnStar "Directions and Connections" then you can use MapQuest or Google Maps to download the destination to the Nav.

sube5186
09-25-11, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately, there's no way to change the detailed coverage areas. GM does release new Nav DVDs, but they're $199. There is a new 2012 Nav DVD, but I wouldn't suggest you purchase this, as I believe it's a gamble. There's no way of knowing if the coverage in "your" area has been updated. New roads and streets are being constructed every day. All of these discs are essentially outdated as soon as they're produced.

When it comes to nav systems, I believe in the near future you'll see vehicles using Google Maps, which is able to continuously download updated road data. To do this, your car would need 3G/4G access. The technology is already here. However, to my knowledge no automaker has decided to implement it. When it comes to these types of electronics, the auto industry is always a good five years behind the rest of the world. If you don't believe me, just think back to the introduction of CDs. Remember how long it took to see CD players in cars?

Yes, you could always just call OnStar. As Steve mentioned, you can also use "eNav". This allows you to find directions online using MapQuest or Google Maps and then download those directions to your car using OnStar's Virtual Advisor. This is all included in the Directions & Connections Plan. Use this as much as possible while you're still in the free trial period. Watch the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EhHr7lbkk

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-search.asp?lang=en&make=CAD&model=SRX&year=2011

Sube

algiorda
09-25-11, 04:42 PM

Like Sub stated; Highway may not be the appropriate Name. It could be Route, or State Road, or something else. You really need to find out how the Nav system in the Caddy characterizes your area. I find the NAV system in the SRX rock solid for my area (except for new access roads around Tampa Airport).

On another note; I asked my Service Manager about getting a DVD update to my MAPS database, and he told me updates to maps are automatically downloaded from OnStar????? I don't believe that, but that's what they said.

sube5186
09-25-11, 05:09 PM
I asked my Service Manager about getting a DVD update to my MAPS database, and he told me updates to maps are automatically downloaded from OnStar????? I don't believe that, but that's what they said.

Yeah, and I believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. My salesman told me the exact same thing when I bought the car. This is categorically untrue. If that was the case, then why does GM sell update Nav disc for $199? Who would buy them and why if the map database automatically updated from OnStar? I have no respect for people who know they have no idea how the system works, and then just make up something off the top of their head to tell you. I would have more respect for them if they just acknowledged their ignorance. Why can't they just say, "Gee, I have no idea, but I'll look into it and get back to you." Instead, they have to make up outright lies.

Like Sub stated; Highway may not be the appropriate Name. It could be Route, or State Road, or something else.

What I was referring to is a little different. E.g. A road may be named "Route 647". This same road may also go by the alternate name of "Montgomery Pike". The Nav system might have it in the database as Montgomery Pike instead of Route 647.

Sube

etexlady
09-25-11, 10:16 PM
I've downloaded a map to the Nav system. Sometimes, however, I don't have access to a computer before I start out. I just need to pay more attention with regard to how the Caddy Nav system accepts and displays destination info. Thanks again for the replies.

11RavenBlack
09-30-11, 04:22 PM
The new iPhone OnStar RemoteLink app has the ability to send addresses to your nav system. I use it all the time. It is actually faster to enter the address in the RemoteLink app and send it to my nav system than to manually enter it on the nav screen.

:pow-mia: Never Forget