: Maximum wiper blade size

mckellyb
09-24-11, 02:06 PM
80857I like the maximum amount of my windscreen wiped by the wipers. On the W124 Mercedes the STS replaced, it was about 94%, or some other astronomical number...by a single blade. Truly amazing.

However, the STS leaves a bit to be desired in wiping area. Reference materials call for 22" driver's side, 21" passenger's side.

Meh, there's plenty of room...at least on the driver's side.

These are pics of the clearance with a 24" driver's side blade, a Good Year maxi-wipe, or whatever it's called, and the stock-sized 21" on the passenger's side. There is no leeway on the passenger's side. Might could get away with a 22" on it...maybe, but I'd rather not have it smacking the A-pillar.

The driver's side may be able to accept a 25" blade, but for me, the extra 1/2" on the top/bottom isn't worth the risk of interference when they're parked or have snow/slush/ice on 'em.

Costco has these 2-for-1 right now, which is what got me to experimenting. After looking at the blades I removed, I'd swear they were original, from 2005. Horribly deteriorated rubber.

MacMuse
09-24-11, 03:27 PM
ahh, thanks for the reminder -- tis the season for some new rubber on the front glass.

EChas3
09-25-11, 09:11 PM
Timely thread. One of mine just wore out. Anyone find replacement wipers superior to OEM?

Teammuir1
09-26-11, 07:19 PM
It was perfect timing for me I just used this thread and purchased some Rain Ex ones.. AWSOME
job on this thread.. without it I wouldnt have known to go bigger on the Drivers Side.
thanks.
Ron

Hoosier24
09-27-11, 06:27 PM
I've used Valeo wiper blades for years on all my cars, they're a little more $$ but well worth it. Absolutely streak free and no chatter

KRSTS
09-27-11, 07:34 PM
I've used Valeo wiper blades for years on all my cars, they're a little more $$ but well worth it. Absolutely streak free and no chatter

I also have a set of Valeo's. Great blades.

Teammuir1
09-28-11, 10:02 PM
So i went to the local auto store and they looked up the blades to fit the sts. the only thing they had were bosh.....

so I had to get them of course... but when he looked them up for the 2008 the 24 inch were standard.... so I can only
assume that the older sts's were 22inch long.. on the drivers side.